Beginners and Beyond

Running With a Weight Vest... (Read 61 times)

Daves_Not_Here

Over the past few weeks I've been running with a weight vest loaded with between 20 and 30 lbs, right? I've also been keeping the incline at a minimum of 6% (sometimes I switch to 9 or 12 and then back down to 6). This is in preparation for this summer when I do my "thin air" runs up at Pyramid Peak, Mt. Tallac, and Thunder Mtn (all above 9000ft).

Today's run over lunch rendered a surprising result though. I ran 5 miles at an average pace of 9:10...My best average pace post hernia surgery. I felt so "light" and strong I was practically "giddy"...LOL! I think I'm gonna keep it up. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLEOwxF1leU

LRB

Here, let me (link) that video up for ya.

I have a vest but only use it for pullups and dips.  How does your joints and such feel after using it and how long do you run in it?

happylily

How many miles per run and how many runs per week do you do with the vest on, Dave? They say running is like punishment and I've never understood that. But THAT (what you're doing) looks like punishment to me. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

I assume it is similar to what my ultra running friends do.  They run with a big tire hanging from their hips.  It gives them a bit of an edge come race day, they say (and their results show).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Daves_Not_Here

Here, let me (link) that video up for ya.

I have a vest but only use it for pullups and dips.  How does your joints and such feel after using it and how long do you run in it?

My joints feel fine but I do feel a nice "burn" in my muscles afterward. It goes away rather quickly. I doubt I would use it on pavement/concrete as the deck on my TM is a bit more forgiving. I've had the vest for a few weeks now and the longest run I've done with it is 4 miles so far. My next HM is this April and we'll see how I do. Last year, my best time in a HM was Davis last February at 2:01 and then I went in for surgery and never really got it back if'n ya get what I'm putting down. Believe it or not, I still "feel" that damn hernia incision from time to time. There have been times when I regret having the procedure since I didn't even know I had it. Hell even the doc couldn't tell until he started prodding me, ya know?

Daves_Not_Here

How many miles per run and how many runs per week do you do with the vest on, Dave? They say running is like punishment and I've never understood that. But THAT (what you're doing) looks like punishment to me. 

The past couple of weeks, all my runs have been with the vest save for one run. I keep them rather short and steep and then a break of a day or two and then I run without it. Today's run surprised me and I'm hoping its a trend in the right direction as I've been really depressed with my times as of late. I know I'll never be a fast runner, but I'd really like to at least get back to where I was pre surgery.

Daves_Not_Here

I assume it is similar to what my ultra running friends do.  They run with a big tire hanging from their hips.  It gives them a bit of an edge come race day, they say (and their results show).

Yeppers...I tried it on a "hunch" and I believe it is beginning to pay off. Only time will tell. Smile

LRB

I assume it is similar to what my ultra running friends do.  They run with a big tire hanging from their hips. 

That would require hips and is the reason (apparently) I am a middle distance runner.