Beginners and Beyond

Shoes, Drafting, Etc.... (Read 43 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

So I haven't seen the topic itself yet but took screenshots of this guy's thoughts on the Records set by Brigid and Kipchoge.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

I'm honestly not sure what this guy's point is, he just seems to be rambling.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm honestly not sure what this guy's point is, he just seems to be rambling.

Yeah, I still don't know what on earth he is talking about or what got his rambling going. I mean I haven't looked for discussions on this, but apparently he is saying that the shoes both wore during their record-breaking marathons aren't even out on shelves yet and were prototypes. Basically he and others would like to know how on Earth to top marathon athletes were able to shave 2 minutes of their times, I guess it is a lot harder for top athletes to improve more than they already are 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Yeah, I still don't know what on earth he is talking about or what got his rambling going. I mean I haven't looked for discussions on this, but apparently he is saying that the shoes both wore during their record-breaking marathons aren't even out on shelves yet and were prototypes. Basically he and others would like to know how on Earth to top marathon athletes were able to shave 2 minutes of their times, I guess it is a lot harder for top athletes to improve more than they already are 

He starts out by saying "here's what people are missing", then goes on to say the things that everyone is already talking about.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

The shoes they are wearing are out for sale.  I have a pair in my closet so he is wrong. They were just given an advance pair of the next version of the Next %.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Ok, I didn't even know what shoes they were wearing. But do you guys have any idea why or where the original discussion about this is? I'd kind of like to read it, maybe it would make more sense than this guy.

PRs

onemile

The shoes they are wearing are out for sale.  I have a pair in my closet so he is wrong. They were just given an advance pair of the next version of the Next %.

Kipchoge wore a prototype which is not released yet.  Kosgei wore the Next%

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I did find this link, still reading it but figured I'd post it on here. Back in 2017, Kipchoge was preparing for the Breaking2 marathon exhibition, his time though was 2:00:25 so really he shaved like 45 seconds off, that's not really hard to believe... I could be ignorant though.

Also, why are people surprised, an ultra runner broke the 100 mile record (on a track I think) just a year or so ago. His name is Zach Bitter, he ran 100 miles in 11 hours and 19 minutes so why would this be hard to fathom? I mean Zach ran a 6:48 min/mile pace for 100 miles........

Oh, here is the link.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2403868/eliud-kipchoge-brigid-kosgei-nike-vaporflys?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=onsiteshare

PRs

delicate flower

Seems like a long rant about how the shoes make runners go faster.  No shit.  That's why Nike sells them for $250.

<3

onemile

Kosgei's performance is the hard one to believe.  She broke a 16 year record by 1:21 which no one has come close to touching. She did this by running a first 5k that is on par with Hasay's 5k PR and the second place female was a good 7 minutes behind her.  And it was a four minute PR for her, which is huge

Half Crazy K 2.0

I thought for races, you had to wear shoes that were available to all? For the breaking 2 events, since it wasn't sanctioned, this didn't apply. If this is the case, not sure what the issue is--unless it is that runners sponsored by other shoe brands can't wear them?

I also feel like the tweets are trying to bring up the possibility of PEDS without coming out and saying it. Just get the idea in people's minds.

onemile

I also feel like the tweets are trying to bring up the possibility of PEDS without coming out and saying it. Just get the idea in people's minds.

Magness knows all about PEDs - he's one who testified against Salazar

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I was getting that feeling too...

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Kipchoge wore a prototype which is not released yet.  Kosgei wore the Next%

Ah, got it.  I just saw the picture with all the pacers wearing the pink Next % but didn't look at his carefully.  I assume that's the next Next%, ha!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Kosgei's performance is the hard one to believe.  She broke a 16 year record by 1:21 which no one has come close to touching. She did this by running a first 5k that is on par with Hasay's 5k PR and the second place female was a good 7 minutes behind her.  And it was a four minute PR for her, which is huge

Yeah, when I read my husband's text mid-marathon about her win I was like no one has even come close before, how did this happen?

Damaris

Fundraising Page