Beginners and Beyond

Show me your running legs. (Read 1596 times)

Sounds like tight calves, no?  It goes away after you start running?  As to the tumbleweeds, give it until tomorrow.  The forums are pretty quiet during the weekend.  Good luck!

Not exactly; my concern here is that while my normal (chronically) tight calves are generally manageable, this one gets progressively worse during the run. And I usually feel stiffness in the lower calf/achilles area; what I am getting now is at the top, right near the back of the knee. Anything in the knee area (and that gets worse during the run) gets me worried.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Hmmm.  Could it be the shoes?  Why the change now?  Did it start after the marathon?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hmmm.  Could it be the shoes?  Why the change now?  Did it start after the marathon?

I have not changed shoes or anything. I am still somewhat in recovery/reverse taper mode from the marathon, so have not been pushing mileage or pace too hard.  But the race was 2 weeks ago. This first hit during my run Thurs, did not run Fri, hit me again during runs Sat & Sun.

Dr. Google as usual has multiple potential diagnoses. Just looking for someone to tell me I don't have to take a break from running. Roll eyes

Dave

Will run for scenery.

Keep posting pics of your legs and you might get a bunny-boiler to take care of all that ails you.  Big grin

Sorry for the dark humor.  I just stumbled upon the half-year-ago creeper/stalker thread and felt pretty bummed after reading through all that.  I've noticed lately a bunch of old threads getting bumped when someone deletes pics from them. I totally understand, but I do remember liking these threads, at least when they started.  Hell, I was only 10 pounds away from a midriff shot....

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Yeah I just read that thread too, probably via the same link from another thread yesterday. Certainly made me think twice about some things. However I figured there wasn't much anyone could do with a disembodied leg photo. Try to photoshop something interesting out of that one!

Dave

Love the Half

Look, almost everyone has to take an occasional break.  If you continue to push through and run low mileage, it may take a very long time to heal.  Here's the deal.  Take a week off or even two off and it probably heals.  Your fitness won't suffer appreciably in that time.  Don't take any time off and run reduced mileage for 2-3 months while it heals and your fitness will suffer appreciably.  That's the thing.  Running through it doesn't let you maintain fitness - it costs fitness.

Time for a break.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MrNamtor

Sometimes everyone needs a break. This is a tough tough activity. The long hours put in, the effort it takes. Doing it before work or at lunch, whenever one can, fitting it into an already overloaded schedule. The sweating and straining, the frustration. The pain that sometimes moves into agony. Sometimes I think "how much more can I take?" and "what am I doing this for?". Yet somehow, on some days, it all seems worth it.

I'm talking about posting to this forum of course. Oh, i also have tendonitis in my knee but that's no big deal.

Anyway Dave, I agree, take a week off and you'll probably be good to go.

Dr. Cornsitter

Attention whoors. All of you.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

MrNamtor

Attention whoors. All of you.

i was corrected on this yesterday. Not PC. The term now is "Attention Sex Workers"

Hey back to ME, I was trying to take over this thread! Perhaps so people could see what kind of leg was actually being shown, and just move on.

In any case, thanks for the advice on rest, obviously not what I want to hear, but is probably the right thing to do. I don't think I have any Olympic qualifying events coming up.

And Beachy, nice new avi!

Dave

Dr. Cornsitter

Hey back to ME, I was trying to take over this thread! Perhaps so people could see what kind of leg was actually being shown, and just move on.

In any case, thanks for the advice on rest, obviously not what I want to hear, but is probably the right thing to do. I don't think I have any Olympic qualifying events coming up.

And Beachy, nice new avi!

Ha! Thanks. My 3-year-old took it when we gave him permission to use the digital camera last November. He loved it so much we got him a kid's digital camera for Christmas. There were a lot of really unflattering close ups of Mummy, but this one was a gem.

Hope your legs recover quickly!

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

happylily

This thread is now making me laugh. Big grin

Dave, no advice, sorry. Our bodies can be such mysteries sometimes. Rebelious annoying things, really... I can only hope that you can run without pain and discomfort soon. I understand perfectly the frustration you are going through. :-(

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Resident Historian

^

March 7th after Achilles tendon repair

July, 17 weeks later, running again (a little)

v

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Docket_Rocket

Longboat.  Glad to see you out of the cast!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

March 7th after Achilles tendon repair

July, 17 weeks later, running again (a little)

Wow, you're already running some 17 weeks later?  That's a long time, but really for a Acheille's tendon repair that doesn't sound like long at all.  I'm so glad you're doing so well.  A thousand thumbs up to you.   BTW, how did you tear it?

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson