Beginners and Beyond

Asthma and Running (Read 103 times)

A Saucy Wench

hey, just popping in here to comment on this.

My mom has been living with Atrial fibrillation for at least 20 years, maybe closer to 30.  So some advice from the sidelines of the trenches.

Be persistent with your cardiologist in working out the treatment.  Mom's first cardiologist gave her a drug that only helped somewhat, as she aged she got more and more frequent, severe and longer lasting episodes.  It took switching cardiologists to get a treatment that has now had her episode free for over 5 years.

I know your instinct is to swear off running to protect your heart, but it was running that saved it.  Sedentary people don't often recognize there is a problem until it is MUCH more severe.  Make sure you have a good discussion with your cardiologist on aerobic exercise, what is appropriate (when you are stable).  Because I know many people who "feeling off" while running got them in to the doc before feeling off turned into something much more severe. Hopefully once you are stable you can return to something with some guidelines.

Good luck!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

hey, just popping in here to comment on this.

My mom has been living with Atrial fibrillation for at least 20 years, maybe closer to 30.  So some advice from the sidelines of the trenches.

Be persistent with your cardiologist in working out the treatment.  Mom's first cardiologist gave her a drug that only helped somewhat, as she aged she got more and more frequent, severe and longer lasting episodes.  It took switching cardiologists to get a treatment that has now had her episode free for over 5 years.

I know your instinct is to swear off running to protect your heart, but it was running that saved it.  Sedentary people don't often recognize there is a problem until it is MUCH more severe.  Make sure you have a good discussion with your cardiologist on aerobic exercise, what is appropriate (when you are stable).  Because I know many people who "feeling off" while running got them in to the doc before feeling off turned into something much more severe. Hopefully once you are stable you can return to something with some guidelines.

Good luck!

I hope to do some exercise. I am thinking that runninng 5k and 8k  races every month might be to much. 

I had my heart stopped and restarted yesterday and it went right back into A-fib rhythm....So now I am at home taking stronger meds and in 2 weeks they will try again with a new reset. I can't go to work because my job is pretty  hard without  with lifting things. (HVAC).  I can't run or any other exercise. It will nice to watch the snow fall tomorrow.Smile

Docket_Rocket

Sorry to hear that.  Get well soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Wow. Good luck & take care of yourself.

Dave