Beginners and Beyond

Great Smoky Mountains Half Marathon RR(plenty of pics) (Read 73 times)

hog4life

Smoky Mountain Half, Sept 20, 2014

This RR is to share my experience and some pictures. We took a trip to the Smoky Mountains, as a vacation, and our 31 year wedding anniversary, and I also did the inaugural Great Smoky Mountains Half Marathon, which is part of the Vacation Races series that do their races near a National Park. Most of the race series events are out west, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, etc. The Smokies are one of our favorite places to visit. So much so, that we want to retire there. The race has two different challenges that must be completed within 72 hours of finishing the race, which apply a 20%, or 50% discount to next year’s race. One is called a Trifecta Challenge, which requires a trip to Laurel Falls(2.6 mile RT to a waterfall), Cades Cove(11 mile loop in the car), and Clingman’s Dome(1/2 mile hike up to observation tower, highest point in the Smokies). This is for the 20% discount and all are inside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The other one is called the Chimney Tops Challenge. This is also inside the park, and earns you 50% off next year’s entry fee. It’s a 4.4 mile RT hike, pretty much straight up. You have to climb up these shear rocks for a pretty spectacular view.

My race training plan, was to run a sub 1:55, or secretly, a 1:50, but my training was derailed after just 2 weeks into the 10 week plan, with tendinitis in my shin, which I thought was a stress fracture. I only run 34 miles for the month of August, but had a strong base prior to this, and was barely back up near 30 mpw just prior to race day. I knew that both of my original goals were gone, so just wanted to enjoy the course, and have fun with the rest of our trip. I had built back up to a 10.5, and 9.8 mile LR, so knew I could make it. I started running with the 2:00 pacer, and faded around mile 4. At mile 8.5 to 11, there were several hills that I walked some of. I managed to run the last 2.5 miles pretty strong.

The course was a point to point, which was a first for me. We had about a 15 minute ride on a school bus to the drop off point. The course was mostly on a rural road, with lots of potholes, a bunch of camber in both directions, but followed a route along a mountain stream. This was beautiful and very peaceful. All of the course was in the shade except the last 1.5 miles. My finish time was 2:07:05. My splits were awful, and at 1:25:00 into the run, my Garmin DIED! It's a 205, 4 years old, and will only stay on for about 2 hours. Santa is already shopping, and have decide on the 310.

I run this race in memory of my friend, and tattoo artist, Mike. I had the pleasure of seeing his twin 9 YO girls while we visited. It is really sad that he left these little angels behind, but I know he will be watching over them.

Those of you on FB have seen the tons of pictures, but here are some for those who are not.

I met Jeff Galloway and got a pic before the race started.

Thanks for reading,

Mitch

Docket_Rocket

Great job getting it back together after your shin issues. Thanks for sharing!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good stuff, Hog. Who cares about the splits. It looks and sounds like you and your better half had a good time. Garmin problems?! You must be kidding! I have never heard of such a thing (sarcasm dripping).  Did you see Galloway walking the course?

hog4life

Good stuff, Hog. Who cares about the splits. It looks and sounds like you and your better half had a good time. Garmin problems?! You must be kidding! I have never heard of such a thing (sarcasm dripping).  Did you see Galloway walking the course?

I did not see him after that picture was taken. He finished in 2:19, so about 12 minutes behind me.

GinnyinPA

So it looks like you did both Chimney Tops and the Trifecta?  Sounds like a good time was had by all, even if you didn't go as fast as you'd hoped.  There's always next time. How did your tendonitis behave?

Great job and love the pictures! Sorry your training was derailed and you weren't able to meet your goal, but you still did great! I also love the medal. Big grin

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

tracilynn

Congrats on adding another to your collection!  What a great place for a LR

~~~~~~~

Traci

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

While I don't really understand doing a road race in a beautiful place like the Smokies, looks like you got in some hiking while you were there too Smile  Great photos!  Sorry to hear that you didn't quite meet your goal, but it sounds like you had fun anyway!

Running is dumb.

music_girl117

What a beautiful race!  I'm jealous.  Sorry about your Garmin; as a data geek that would have driven me batty!!  So you'll be back next year right?

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the inaugural race, Mitch.  Nice pix.

happylily

What beautiful beautiful pictures, Mitch! You are so lucky to be able to vacation there... Congratulations first to you and your wife on your 31st anniversary! That is a rare thing nowadays, something you must be proud of. And huge congrats as well on your race! It is a most respectable time considering the course and the difficult training weeks you had for it. You always look so healthy and happy in your pictures. You look great. 

P.S. So sorry about your friend. It's so sad that he left behind such young children... :-(

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I did not see him after that picture was taken. He finished in 2:19, so I smoked dat ass by about 12 minutes.

FYP 

Those are really nice and colorful pics Mitch, and cool looking medal!  Hang in there man, you will be back at that 1:50 goal soon enough!

Robert31320

Team TJ

Nice RR and pics Mitch.  Again, Happy Anniversary to you and Connie.  Great pictures.  Sorry you missed your goal but great job regardless following the shin issues.

Hope you're ready to go real slow now

Running for TJ because he can't.

hog4life

LRB, when you fixed my post, I busted out laughing.

Thanks everyone. If I can stay healthy, I know I can do much better.

Love the Half

Sometimes races are all about laying it on the line and going for a PR.  Sometimes, they're about enjoying the day.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).