Beginners and Beyond

what is the furthest you've traveled for a race? (Read 361 times)

aponi

never runs the tangents

There is a 10 miler I want to do in the town where I went to college. We're trying to decide if its possible to day trip it but I think we'd need to leave the house at like 3:30 AM - uh neat. I fear it's going to be a real ordeal to just get to the race, then it's 10 miles including a really charming hill that it so awful that they report your hill time separately.

then of course to student stores to buy STUFF and then home again

Just wondering if anyone else has done something like this.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I did, but I stayed in a hotel the night before. It was a 4 hour drive for a half.

LRB

Two and a half hour drive for my first half which started at 8:00 am I stayed overnight.

Two hour fifteen minute drive for my second half which started at 9:00 am I drove there that morning.

Six hour drive for my first marathon which started at 7:00 am I stayed overnight.

Had a two hour drive for a 10k that started at 8:00 that I drove there that morning.

For me, it kind of depends on how important the race is.

PS, I just realized that's a lotta damn gas just to run!

Rubybaby43

enabler

So far, 2 hours.  I just recently started working again after being an almost full-time stay-at-home mom.  So, planning a destination race is not really in the budget for us in the near future.

Someday! Smile

KLO

more miles = more beer

Just B.S.

From Canada, 2 hours northeast of the Maine border, via Toronto to the Bermuda Marathon Challenge.

About 2000 miles one way.

Flew to Ottawa for a 1/2 for me, full for hubby instead of doing the 12 hour drive each way.

Flying to Orlando for the Disney Princess in Feb for a girls trips.

We have driven anywhere from 3-9 hours for lots of other races.

Our son lives in Ottawa so that's a good destination for us. We combine the far away trips with a

vacation.

So far? Lynn to Newton. In seven weeks, I'll be going from Boston to Israel.

YAYpril - B-Plus

For now I have a rule that I won't travel (one way) longer than it would take me to run the race, time-wise. All of the races I've done have been local. I would like to do some destination races eventually, but I'd probably end up staying overnight if it's more than an hour or so away.

mucknort

Twice I've flown over 3000 miles (each way) for the San Francisco Marathon from New England. I have friends/relatives in that area, but the race is great and the city offers so much as a tourist destination.

B-Plus

About 4800 miles, but I prefer races which are within a 20 minute warmup jog from home.

tundrasusie

Last year I traveled from home (Fairbanks, AK) to Virgina Beach to do the Shamrock and Ragnar PA.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Only ones I can think of off the top of my head are a 10-miler at the Jersey Shore and a half in Maryland (I live in PA).

xor

Hawai'i to Maine

Village people

When we lived in Niagara Falls, we made a yearly trek to Maine for DH to run a race. We now live in NH and he just up the morning of the race.

For now I have a rule that I won't travel (one way) longer than it would take me to run the race, time-wise. All of the races I've done have been local. I would like to do some destination races eventually, but I'd probably end up staying overnight if it's more than an hour or so away.

I like the rule (of thumb) for race choices.  I may adopt the rule.

But, being in Dallas / Fort Worth, there are many races for all distances within a short drive, making the decisions relatively easy.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Sloooow.

Everyone is making me feel much better, lol.

We'll be driving to New Orleans for a run next month, about 140 miles. The silly race is right in the middle of Mardi Gras, which is annoying, so I can't find a single hotel. Will have to leave at around 4am, bleh.