Beginners and Beyond

what is the furthest you've traveled for a race? (Read 361 times)

StepbyStep-SH

Driving - 9-hour drive, which I've done twice. Once was going west  from Wisconsin to western Nebraska by myself; the other going east from Wisconsin to Bloomington, IN, with friends.

Flying - Wisconsin to Houston, TX

All of these were for full marathons. The farthest I've traveled for anything shorter is about 2.5 hours drive for a half one; most everything else has been an hour or less.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Karen M

Furthest traveled was to Berlin. Smile Other than that, 5 hours one-way to Walla Walla and back. Usually we try to at least overnight before the race - and take lots of walking breaks driving home!

Marathons are habit-forming...

"I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength."

Philippians 4:13, NLT

happylily

The furthest I would drive? Maybe 3 to 6 hours... But I have flown many times for race weekends. Left on Friday night, back on Sunday night. I might not be a career woman, but flying to races makes me feel like a career runner (too bad I can't say the same about my finish times..lol). Prague was the most distant city I raced in. I traveled for 24h to get there and was still jet-lagged the day of the race. I had my worst marathon finish time and one of my best running experience ever!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

sugnim

2 miles, maybe 3.  There are so many races in my town; many weekends I have to choose which one I want to do more.

Antipodean

There are lots of races in my city so I don't really need to travel. I did race in Japan, but I lived there at the time and the races were close to my then home. I am thinking of one day going to Rarotonga (Cook Islands, in the South Pacific) for the round-island race they have there - a 30-ish km race. It's part of a race week of different events, including a 10k, which could be part of a family vacation.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

CeeDotA

I'm in southern Oregon near the California border. Traveled to Seattle and to LA for a race, so that's six hours driving one way and 12 hours the other. Now technically it wasn't just for the race -- these were road trips already happening, I just wanted to race while we're out of town.

Current PRs:

5K: 27:06 (11/10/12) | 5M: 44:03 (6/1/13) | 10K: 1:00:48 (7/4/12)

15K: 1:27:53 (3/17/13) | 10M: 1:30:25 (4/13/13) | HM: 1:59:55 (4/28/13)

Next race: Ashland 4th of July 10K

Coastal

I've driven something around two and a half hours to run a half.  There are very few races in my immediate area, so most events are at least an hour away.

Better I Leave

Wow...Somma yooz guyz are seriously hardcore...I thought 3 hours was a long drive to a race. LOL! I'll shut up now. Big grin

Luke79

I've only done local races thus far.  My next race is about 45 mins away so that will be a record lol.  You guys have done some serious traveling!  I may if I can ever get to the point of doing ultras.

Canuck

Vancouver to Copenhagen - 9 hour flight.

Furthest driving - Portland (5.5 hours).

The trips were also vacations as well, but the race was the main reason to go.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

In about two weeks, 140 miles for the Auburn Classic HM.  I chose the race because my daughter attends the university there.  Wouldn't you know it, she most likely won't be there that weekend.  C'est la vie.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

RSX

I drove 9 hours to Moncton, New Brunswick for a 10k. I was heading up anyway but picked that weekend because of the race. I was their first American in their then 3 year history which was cool.

My first and only 5k was 3 1/2 hours away  and we stayed overnight, of all places, Chicagos most haunted hotel. But hey, there was chocolate at the end of the race.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Docket_Rocket

Apart from my destination races, I don't drive more than 1 hour for a local race.  And I don't travel far unless it's a marathon.

And I make my destination races marathons.  You know, more bang for the buck.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Little Blue

My farthest running race was 10 hours driving.  It was my 50th birthday, and the race was in my home town.  I got to see some of my relatives. Totally worth it.

I've done a lot of travelling with my walking buddy for races.  He's picky about courses, medals, etc.  We flew from NC to CA for Disney.  The farthest we've driven is 9 hours to Orlando, many times.  But his daughter lives there and works for Disney, so we get a mini Disney vacation and a place to stay, for the cost of the gas and food.  Twice we've driven 8 hours to Ohio for the USAF race.  Lots of 4 hour trips to the NC and VA coasts.  Fortunately for me, money is no object for him. Big grin