Beginners and Beyond

what is the furthest you've traveled for a race? (Read 361 times)

flarunner

Flew: Indianapolis to the Twin Cities Marathon

Flew: Indianapolis to the Boston Marathon

Drove: Florida to the Indianapolis Marathon; about 16 hours. Yeah, I had to move out of the state to run a marathon in the state.  Roll eyes

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Farthest for a day trip was 3 hours in Jersey Shore traffic for a 10-miler.

Farthest overnight for a race was CT to Toronto.

While the trip was not for the race, I did travel to Oregon from PA and raced a 5K while I was there.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

catwhoorg

Labrat

As of now :3 hours drive. (Down to Columbus, GA for an Ultra)

In May the whole family if flying up to Green Bay, so I can run the marathon.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

bluerun

Super B****

I'm going to travel 5,737 miles for a half marathon next month... but up until now, the furthest was about 650 miles.  I went for the weekend and stayed with a friend.  As a general rule, I don't really do races if I have to travel too far.  Especially since that last one didn't end very well!  (See: returned in wheelchair with multiple sfx.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

1-hour drive/55 miles for my 2nd HM.

This year I am looking to hit the lottery for the Gary Bjorklund HM in Duluth. If I get in it will be my first destination HM.

- Andrew

SheCan

Only shorter runs are near my home.  So if I want to do a HM or longer, I have to travel about 2 hours to do so.   The half marathons I've gone to several times need you to be there early so then they take you on a bus to the start.  So because of all that we end up leaving about 3 in the morning.  It's hard, but its cheaper then getting a hotel every time, and it still allows me to do longer races.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

sheepla

North Carolina to Alaska for my first marathon.

aponi

never runs the tangents

So far I've never done a race out of my state. This is in my state too but will be the furthest away from home. I like the rule thumb about not traveling longer than the race.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

it looks like we have travelers that use running as an excues to get out an about. Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I am definitely running the race you mention in the OP. But I am driving the day before and staying at a hotel.

I have flown to SF for the marathon in 2009 and 2011.

I have also driven to Cincinnati for the Flying Pig.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Goorun

Longest flight 5021 miles

Longest drive 744 miles

I used to race all over the world in the past and I didn't pay for it. Now I'm more selective.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

I've flown from mid Michigan to Jacksonville, FL twice for the Gate River Run 15K.

xor

it looks like we have travelers that use running as an excues to get out an about. Smile

That was totally my reasoning for running marathons and ultras!  I like to see cool things and doing something like 50 states forced me to go places I otherwise would not have gone (see: North Dakota).  I have travel brain more than running brain.

There are lots and lots of reasons to run, so "whatever works for you".  Those who aren't traveling far... is cool.  Don't let this thread feel like a measuring contest.

tundrasusie

I always try to find a race to do while I am out on work travel, which takes me often to D.C and to Hawaii Smile

This way I get in some fun time during the middle of all that business stuff!

adkkev

roughly 4000+ miles (8000+ round trip) ... upstate NY to Fairbanks, AK for the Equinox this past September.

Big grin