Beginners and Beyond

what is the furthest you've traveled for a race? (Read 361 times)

flarunner

I'm going to travel 5,737 miles for a half marathon next month... but up until now, the furthest was about 650 miles.  I went for the weekend and stayed with a friend.  As a general rule, I don't really do races if I have to travel too far.  Especially since that last one didn't end very well!  (See: returned in wheelchair with multiple sfx.)

Oooh.. sounds interesting. Which one?

slowrunningjulie

it looks like we have travelers that use running as an excues to get out an about. Smile

I love to travel and I love to run. So... yes! So far I have only flown to one race, Austin to Denver for the Denver Rock N' Roll Half. I am currently training for the Shamrock marathon in Virginia. The farthest I have driven for a race is three hours and I did an overnight stay for that.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

bluerun

Super B****

Oooh.. sounds interesting. Which one?

Jerusalem!  Would have done it last year, but, well, I was broken.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Robert31320

Team TJ

So far I have only run 5K races.  The farthest I have driven for one so far is 1 hour.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Jerusalem!  Would have done it last year, but, well, I was broken.

Oh, nice! Real hilly though.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

bluerun

Super B****

Oh, nice! Real hilly though.

I KNOW.  I'm kind of terrified... trying to decide whether to convince myself it won't be so bad or that it will be so impossibly difficult, it can't ever meet my expectations.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Jess runs for bacon

So far, only about a half hour, but I'll be traveling to Disney in Florida in Feb (I live in PA).

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

2011 I went from home in Charleston SC to Vancouver Washington to do a marathon.  I also did Airforce marathon that year.

Last year was Albany Georgia

This year I have two that I'll travel to as well.  Hatfield and McCoy and Outer Banks

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

My husband knows to ask what month is the marathon in X city before planning an overseas vacation.

That was totally my reasoning for running marathons and ultras!  I like to see cool things and doing something like 50 states forced me to go places I otherwise would not have gone (see: North Dakota).  I have travel brain more than running brain.

There are lots and lots of reasons to run, so "whatever works for you".  Those who aren't traveling far... is cool.  Don't let this thread feel like a measuring contest.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

cmb4314

In February, I'm going to New Orleans (from Minnesota) to run the RnR New Orleans Marathon, assuming that I don't get injured before then or something.  Plane tickets and hotel reservations are already done

If I do get injured or something, I'm going to New Orleans anyway to have a vacation eat a bunch of awesome food.

Win/Win.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

yeoldefatguy

Have flown to both Vancouver and Ottawa from Michigan for races. Vacations were planned around them though.

Just B.S.

it looks like we have travelers that use running as an excues to get out an about. Smile

Exactly!!!Smile

SheCan

According to Google makes 4414 miles when I did a HM in Hawaii, but I didn't actually travel there just to do the race.  Rather I fit the race in while I was there.  I also did a 5k 1200 miles away while on vacation.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

baxdaddy

just another runner

From Arkansas in Arizona on business and found a 5k to run. Even won AG.  Don't know if it really counts since the trip wasn't on my nickel.

The first step is to get up off the couch!

Half Fanatic #889

Trail Monster

I drove to Savannah, GA from Pittsburgh, PA for a marathon. I stayed the night before and night after and then drove home the morning after the race. I did the same thing for NC. Furthest day trip was probably 4-5 hours each way.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop