Beginners and Beyond

What's this saddle doing here? 5k Race Report (Read 51 times)

LRB

I ran the Cruise In Shoes 5k this morning in 20:00.

This was my first competitive 5k since December 13, 2014, and only the second since July 25, 2014 (I ran one in May of this year but did not race it).

I have had 4 setbacks in 2015, all within a 6 week period between April and June. Since that time I have managed to put together a modest period of training, and remain hopeful that I can somehow salvage this wretched year.

I am not really in 5k racing shape and would have otherwise not even entertained the thought of entering today's event, but the clock on the year is ticking, and you have to start somewhere, right?

Based on my recent training, my goal was to run at 6:10 for as long as possible, which would be a good challenge for my current 5k fitness.

I warmed up for 2.75 miles which included a couple of light strides and arrived at the start line with about 5 minutes to spare. I moved right to the second row behind all the gazelles. I was pretty much soaked at that point but not too hot, which for me is important. For where we are on the calendar at 66 degrees F, I could not have asked for better conditions or a more favorable start time.

This event closes down one of the main roads to the Dream Cruise, which is fucking huge. We were warned that it would start at 7:30 sharp and it went one minute earlier.

I did not look at my watch during the race but sought to run it by effort instead. I got right into what I felt like was my target effort and tried to establish a good breathing pattern.

The first mile is run on Woodward Avenue. It is flat but has two hairpin turns. My mile 1 split was 6:09, which was pretty much right on the money. Had I known then what was to come I would have stopped right there and called it a day. lol

After this point, the course heads off into the residential neighborhood. There were quite a few turns here and there and a few inclines but I held on to what I thought was 5k effort and did not worry about anything else.

I silenced my stupid watch for today's event for the first time ever because I have come to learn about myself that I have a feeble brain. When mile markers do not line up with my watch or worse, when they are way off it fucks with me mentally. I did not have that problem today and it was a welcome relief. Just race, boy.

According to Garmin, there was only 34 feet of elevation gain today. Oddly, it seemed as if we went up 34 feet, and down 34 feet during both miles. It was nothing terrible but I definitely noticed it. I checked in mile 2 with a 6:45, ouch.

This race finishes on a high school football field, with about the last 400 meters or so on the grass. I thought about  music_girl's cross-country thread and started lifting my feet higher than the grass, but felt like a complete idiot. I had no fucking idea what I was doing and quickly decided that something was going to break had I continued so I just ran normal from there.

The mile 3 marker was just before a long left-hand turn on the field to the final stretch. That split was 6:40.

I do not make a habit of looking at the finishing clock but I had no idea where I was time-wise, so with about 50 feet to go, I did. The clock read 19:42 and I immediately tried to kick, but had nothing. I regrouped, looked at the clock again and it was at 19:52. I tried to kick and again, there was just nothing there.

My final tenth (actually .11) was 30 seconds, which is actually not that bad. I walked for about 5 minutes then jogged for 2.5 miles. I would have gone 3 but my blood sugar crashed for some stupid reason and I got light-headed, so I cut it there.

So all in all I got in 8.35 miles on the day, not bad for the loser Schmuck that I am.

I have long since abandoned any hopes or grand delusions of PR's this year and instead have basically spent it working on my mental state, which has gotten its as kicked. This has actually been good for me in some respects, as balancing goals & expectations with a failure to launch can be a bitch. Even at the hobby jogger level.

Anyway, while I am not satisfied with things, I feel good about where I am. I hope to continue to build my way back up but for now it was nice to be back in the action. It was also nice to have the disappointment of not racing an entire slate of spring & summer goals races finally lifted off my shoulders, but most of all, it was nice to get back up on that horse again.

Thank you for reading!

Cyberic

The part in the grass made me lol.

Even if the result is not on par with the expectations, you had no kick so that means you ran it as hard as you could today.  Can't do more than that.

Great to see you back in racing mode!

LRB

For BBB:

onemile

Last summer after being injured in June, and then getting back to decent mileage in July, I ran a 5k mid-August at a 7:21 pace.  Then on Sept 21, I ran a half marathon at a 7:12 pace. The fitness will come back pretty quick.  Especially after putting in some good solid workouts like today.

Half Crazy K 2.0

There are 2 medals in that picture, I'm guessing one of the those is some sort of AG bling? 34 feet elevation gain can feel huge depending how it is spread out, or if it is that false flat type. Sounds like a good race.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Great effort, especially in light of set-backs and most importantly to me are the mental ones.

HAH!  No chump! good to get back out that and that you feel good where you are.

LRB

Docket_Rocket

Great effort, considering all that you've been through.  Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

cjones1

20 flat after those setbacks.  Success!

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

Julia1971

Congratulations!  On the time and putting yourself back out there.

I have long since abandoned any hopes or grand delusions of PR's this year and instead have basically spent it working on my mental state, which has gotten its as kicked. This has actually been good for me in some respects, as balancing goals & expectations with a failure to launch can be a bitch. Even at the hobby jogger level.

Anyway, while I am not satisfied with things, I feel good about where I am. I hope to continue to build my way back up but for now it was nice to be back in the action. It was also nice to have the disappointment of not racing an entire slate of spring & summer goals races finally lifted off my shoulders, but most of all, it was nice to get back up on that horse again.

Thank you for reading!

I think that's a really good place to be.  It's a nudge away from pushing yourself a little more so you can feel a little bit more satisfied.

Zelanie

I think that's a really good place to be.  It's a nudge away from pushing yourself a little more so you can feel a little bit more satisfied.

Yes.  You've got that first race out of the way, now you know where to aim for the next ones.  Glad you got back out there, and congrats on those mystery medals!

I get what you're saying about just not seeing improvement.  Overall, I'm sort of plateaued, although there are bits of progress here and there.  When we're only racing ourselves, that's when we find out that our 2013 selves were way more badass than we realized, you know?

outoftheblue

Congrats on getting back out there and running a solid race.   You have to start somewhere, right?  I have a feeling it's only going to get better from here.

Life is good.

LRB

Last summer after being injured in June, and then getting back to decent mileage in July, I ran a 5k mid-August at a 7:21 pace.  Then on Sept 21, I ran a half marathon at a 7:12 pace. The fitness will come back pretty quick.  Especially after putting in some good solid workouts like today.

Ironically 6:45 is my half marathon PR pace. I am running one of them stupid things next month and would be pleasantly surprised if I can match that.

Cy, there should have been video of that.

3rd in my age group HC2. The blue one was a finishers medal, which would explain the $37 entry fee FFS.

Thanks D and CJ.

Struggling and running are synonymous it seems Sly.

Thank you Blue. Now I need to learn how to race again.

LRB

Congratulations!  On the time and putting yourself back out there.

Exactly.

I am not sure what, if anything I left out there during the second mile, but I do not think it was much...at least I hope it was not!

LRB

Yes.  You've got that first race out of the way, now you know where to aim for the next ones.  Glad you got back out there, and congrats on those mystery medals!

I get what you're saying about just not seeing improvement.  Overall, I'm sort of plateaued, although there are bits of progress here and there.  When we're only racing ourselves, that's when we find out that our 2013 selves were way more badass than we realized, you know?

Indeed, we are pit bulls when climbing the ladder. Mostly because we do not have the baggage of living up to our previous personal bests.

Stay positive, you will get back there again!