Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Cupid's Chase 5K for Community Options Inc (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me. At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another. Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos. I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

Also - MUCHO THANKS to my friends at  Running Ahead (www.runningahead.com) for letting their site be the 'home" for all my many many MANY race reports.  If you are a runner, walker, biker, whatever, check their site out, free training log, running routes, and more.

My 10th race done in 2016 was held on Feb 13, 10 a.m. start time, at OP Schnabel Park in San Antonio. Quite convenient as there is a YMCA at the park and I am a member so I could stow my items in a locker there and then shower and change post-race before going home. There were about 200 or so participants. Weather was quite nice, sunny, blue skies, 61 degrees, low humidity/dewpoint, a very light wind. This event supported Community Options to help raise funds to make a difference in the lives of people with disabilities. This event is held at various times over the year in many different cities nation-wide.   I ended up with a chip time of 32:29, good enough for first in my 60-64 age group; of course my friend Neil and I were the only 2 in my age group, and I had a heck of an advantage as this was Neil’s first race in quite a while after surgery. So he pretty much let me win the age group.

BEFORE THE START

Laying out my gear the night before.  As you can see, I love 'crazy running socks"  and have quite a few pairs of socks, both long and short with "imaginative" logos, decor, etc.  Size L/XL for those who may want to give me a gift of any.   I try to be very color-coordinated in my old age with my running gear.  

photo 002_zps08v4chgb.jpg

iRun Texas folks, who did the course set-up, timing, results etc., and me with them

photo 005_zpsi4uankvz.jpg photo 003_zpsycxygub9.jpg

photo 004_zpso1yfz81x.jpg

some of the participants, volunteers, supporters, etc.  The race shirts or this Valentine's Day weekend race  were long sleeved, either white or red, with the red meaning the person was unavailable; and the white shirt, person was available.

photo 006_zpsir8ng26g.jpg

photo 007_zpsnwq9ut9h.jpg

Love the dog's pose in this photo, lol.

photo 008_zpsilypezau.jpg

photo 009_zpsbl4zp3m9.jpg

photo 011_zpsbtdizxnv.jpg

photo 012_zps09t8000g.jpg

photo 013_zpsq456fixl.jpg

Our Music Man for the event,  He did not have 76 trombones (we older people will get that )

photo 014_zpsriejxqfy.jpg

photo 015_zpssrab8mfe.jpg

photo 017_zpsxcdfy148.jpg

photo 018_zpsswyduud8.jpg

photo 019_zps5vadvjae.jpg

photo 020_zpshmplvjwc.jpg

photo 021_zpse7tnmqoi.jpg

photo 022_zpsejkpjdv6.jpg

Some of my fellow Team RWB members

photo 023_zpsftlwv69o.jpg

My friend, Neil, on the left, was the only other one there in my age group.  His lovely wife, Tina, is beside him, along with another fellow Team RWB member of mine, and her friend - and my apologies for my old-man brain, their names went right out of my head...

photo 024_zpspjtm0dhl.jpg

In the start/finish area, getting ready to go

photo 025_zpswhpq20xx.jpg

photo 026_zps5cbzveea.jpg

Rocky pulled my friend Margaret the whole way.  That is one 'git-along little doggie"!

photo 027_zpsw6jv5weu.jpg

photo 028_zpsrh32qmkc.jpg

Two 'sisters'..

photo 029_zpsnuzcop8w.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Done on paved trails in the park. I run and have run at this park quite a bit so I know what to expect. Up an incline to start, then down an incline, then down a fairly steep hill, and then out to the turn-around point, pretty flat most of the way, with a couple of inclines that didn’t amount to much. Of course, after the turn around and with a little less than a half-mile to go, to get to the finish we had to go back up that steep hill we came down on our way out. The last ¼ mile or so was a nice downhill incline to the finish. That’s okay…hills help build character.

photo 030_zpsie0fn6qo.jpg

photo 031_zpswijphvpn.jpg

photo 032_zpssqgmx8ee.jpg

photo 034_zps91kg7vkn.jpg

photo 035_zpsynch4muj.jpg

photo 036_zpstiaovbrr.jpg

photo 037_zpsxvgi95k9.jpg

photo 038_zpslmyq5tls.jpg

photo 039_zpsr6pepiqd.jpg

photo 040_zpsuzkiejxb.jpg

photo 041_zps0jgegmkh.jpg

photo 042_zps1s7spxui.jpg

Last photo before I went to the finish...the short, steep, 2-part hill we climbed before heading up another incline and then onto the down incline to the finish.  This is the hill we went down on the way out

photo 043_zps7uobrxop.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

The last mile or so I was in proximity to these two lovely ladies, and I finished with the one in the first photo.

photo 044_zpstfiapuoy.jpg

photo 045_zpsj6z2synl.jpg

photo 046_zpseoh9obrx.jpg

Wait, that's better..no people behind her...

photo 047_zpsvxzlftvx.jpg

Got a few of some of the other runners finishing

photo 048_zpspf2vu3zb.jpg

photo 049_zpshswvylde.jpg

photo 050_zps2heeenke.jpg

My fellow Team RWB member, Norma

photo 051_zpsw9nvcano.jpg

My fellow team RWB member Margaret, with Rocky

photo 052_zpswolj11fr.jpg

Yay Team RWB..keep 'em coming in!

photo 054_zpsjdtmfj7x.jpg

"Happy Finishers", supporters, etc.  Everyone who finished got a nice Cupid's Chase finisher medal

photo 053_zpsjde0x450.jpg

photo 056_zpsvjrbq1uk.jpg

photo 057_zpsdpafjdvd.jpg

photo 058_zpse2v3qzze.jpg

photo 059_zpsblfttcap.jpg

photo 060_zps9jlrfbq0.jpg

photo 063_zpswrf5dfkb.jpg

In the raffle drawing, Tina won a basketball autographed by  now-retired NBA San Antonio Spurs player George "Ice Man" Gervin

photo 075_zps2mo0jhhg.jpg

photo 061_zpsx12kq2uv.jpg

photo 062_zpsahf84pj0.jpg

photo 064_zpsqfrnp4ke.jpg

Margaret modeling one of the trophies.  Yes, Margaret...we can dream we will be first, second, or third overall someday... 

photo 065_zpsac2h88sl.jpg

photo 066_zpswnldertw.jpg

photo 067_zpsd7omwn0t.jpg

photo 068_zpsof5diiut.jpg

OK, this is funny...I asked Mitch to take a photo of me with that group above...and he took my camera and turned it the wrong way...and got a nice selfie of himself, lol...

photo 069_zpsnd4uribx.jpg

OK, Mitch, there you go....thanks for making us all crack up with smiles for the below photo....I know, that was your plan all along, wasn't it?

photo 071_zpssdsysiay.jpg

This team RWB member was 2nd overall male...the first place guy won by EIGHT seconds.  Quite a finish for those two!

photo 072_zpslr00yqad.jpg

photo 073_zpstpj4agdn.jpg

photo 074_zpspl9zwdsk.jpg

Our event MC with her lovely family.  She did a great job for us.  Mucho thanks!  I also got a nice little 'fist bump" from her beautiful daughter.

photo 076_zpsej0y4ktz.jpg

I got my medal for 1st in my age group and then passed on to Chris, a great kid who is in the  Community Options program that this event supports.

photo 077_zps3gsjcgpc.jpg

EPILOGUE

Very nicely done event, organized by iRun Texas specialty running store and race management company in their usual professional manner. Very nice crowd of participants for a good cause. Lots of fun and smiles and photo-taking after the race. Nice course in this pretty park which is  is part of the 'greenway' system of trails in San Antonio and if so desired, you can actually get a pretty nice long run done in this park.  There are also off-road trails to run on and explore. Out-and-back course for this event, and I heard lots of participants giving their friends/family encouragement and shout-outs as they passed each other coming-and-going, very nice, this is just a very friendly event. Nice award trophies for the overall winners and pretty nice medals for the 1st place age group finishers, and then door prizes afterwards (none of which I won, darn the luck).   Definitely would do this one again and recommend it to my fellow runners, etc.

Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, etc, who were all out there for us participants today; all those folks that made this one happen for we entrants. All of you did great for us!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

That's an interesting concept with the different colored shirts.

Nice socks!