Beginners and Beyond

RR - Grand Island HM (Read 78 times)

Originally, the plan for this one was simple.  As part of the Buffalo News Runner of The Year series, I'd try to get my AG points and go home.  (Well, actually I'd go to work afterwards.)

Mother nature had other ideas, serving up an ideal day -- cloudy and 50 with showers ending just before the start.  On a severely flat course, why not take a run at a NYCQ now?  The upcoming Buffalo Marathon half will likely be warmer and more crowded.

For the early miles, I fell in behind a pack and stayed just under the 6:00 miles I wanted.  (That lead guy won in 1:13, with 2nd at 1:14:44.)  A few of the pack turned out to be doing the simul-start 10K and split off at their turnaround, and I focused on my own goal from there, letting the remaining guys go.  One got reeled back in around 5.5 miles, and another way out at 10+, but other than that it was lone racing.

A simple out and back course, at our turnaround I felt confident.  Then, two miles of headwind coming off the open Niagara River directly to the right made things really tough.  I think I gave away about 35 seconds in that stretch, and 8-12 were not enjoyable at all as I tried to make up lost time while progressively fatiguing a little more each split.  The guy I passed there said only "it's pretty quiet out here."  "Yeah."  It was, almost eerily so.  No traffic, no nature sounds, the small knots of spectators in the rearview. It was quiet and lonely.

At the 12 marker, things were looking grim, but I tried to drop a desperately prolonged surge, hoping beyond hope.  Not a chance -- I came in at 1:19:30, missing NY by 31 seconds.

It was a PR, it was a AG win, it was even overall points towards ROTY, 6th of the top 10 spots good for scoring.  It felt incredibly hollow, coming up short by less than 3 seconds per mile.  I wasn't puking, or cramping up, or lying in a pool on the ground, so those 3 seconds/mile should have been doable.

I'm looking forward to my next chance already.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Jay, you and I are in a different universe when it comes to running, but I am also looking forward to your next chance. COME ON!!!

LRB

That's actually not bad at all for an impromptu shot at such a tough qualifying time. I feel your pain though being so close to the stupid thing, but coming off of your marathon those 31 seconds are an eternity.

Had this been a goal event for you (and treated with everything that goes with that therein), you likely would have nailed it so that bodes well for your next crack at it provided the sun is not out baking cookies that morning.

LRB

delicate flower

Nice race, Jay.  Sorry about those 31 seconds.

<3

happylily

Sooooo close... But there will be another occasion. Now you know it's within your reach. 

Wow, first an ultra, then a strong BQ in Boston and now a PR, an AG win and an amazing HM finish time two weeks after Boston? I'm starting to suspect that you are more Terminator than human runner... Bravo!!!

P.S. you have the same musical tastes as my son. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You may want to reexamine your taper prior to another NYCQ attempt. An ultra and Boston in the preceding weeks isn't the normal recommendation.   I'm amazed at how quickly you've bounced back to be able to run 1:19 so soon.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

outoftheblue

"I wasn't puking, or cramping up, or lying in a pool on the ground, so those 3 seconds/mile should have been doable."

Who knows?   Maybe 1 sec faster/mile would have gotten you to your gold standard.  Seriously, fantastic AG win and PR.  Wind in the late miles is no fun at all.  Congrats!

Life is good.

Great race (as usual), Jay!

Dave

Ric-G

this says it all...great stuff Jay, these are really impressive results, congrats on the pr and ag win!

You may want to reexamine your taper prior to another NYCQ attempt. An ultra and Boston in the preceding weeks isn't the normal recommendation.   I'm amazed at how quickly you've bounced back to be able to run 1:19 so soon.

marathon pr - 3:16

hog4life

Congrats on the PR and AG win.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Congrats on the PR Jay! I wish you the best in qualifying. It's a heck of a goal.

- Andrew

RabbitChaser

Great job, Jay! I have no doubt that you'll get the qualifying time real soon. Congrats on your AG win and scoring points toward the series. Keep up the strong running.

Eric

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Jay. Sorry you are a tad disappointed but it is still a great effort so close to an ultra and Boston!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Damn Jay, you're a machine. You'd have that qualifier no doubt if it weren't for all the racing miles lately. That's still blazing fast. Barring a leg falling off, the qualifier will be there for sure. I love reading about your running exploits. Keep them coming!