Beginners and Beyond

Flannery's Pub Run HM (Read 64 times)

GinnyinPA

As some of you know, I've had bad luck with HMs.  I've signed up for four, but this is the first one I've actually been able to run, thanks to some long term injuries that wrecked two different years' training.  I didn't actually sign up for this one until this morning, because (a) I was feeling superstitious about bad things happening when I preregister for races, (b) I've had some hamstring issues the past month or so, and wasn't sure how I would be feeling today, plus (c) until yesterday, the forecast was for rain, and I really wanted to enjoy my first long race.

Flannery's Pub Run connects two small towns in southern PA, Mercersburg and Greencastle, though officially the race goes from Flannery's Tavern on the Square to John Antrim Public House, hence the name.  I imagine a couple of the local runners meeting for a beer one night suggesting, wouldn't it be fun to run to the other pub?  It was a good idea.  Greencastle launched a first ever Craft Beer Festival to accompany the race this year with 20 different breweries. This is only the second year of the HM, and it was a very well organized event overall.  The money raised supports athletic programs at the schools in the two towns.  Very enthusiastic volunteers from both schools helped with the race, and there was a competition for best water stop with a cash prize to the winning group.  The kids did a great job cheering us on as well as providing water.  Since the route is very rural, they provided most of the crowd support, though there were others who waved signs and yelled encouragement.  Buses ferried runners from the registration area to the starting line, and a church opened its doors to provide a warm place to wait, as well as bathrooms.  My husband drove me to Mercersburg, so I could finish my coffee, and keep my warm jacket until just before start time plus he he could cheer me on my way.   I didn't do any real warm-up--just stretching--as I knew I was going to have a hard enough time finishing strong without adding any extra distance.

The weather forecast, fortunately was wrong.  It was chilly at the start, but the temps rose into the 50's and there was lots of sunshine and almost no wind.  I haven't run a race in almost a year, so I didn't know what pace I could maintain under race conditions.  My long runs have varied from 10 mm to 11 mm.  I ran the course a few weeks ago, so I knew that the course was a difficult one for a first HM.  The course follows mostly country roads through farmland with a lot of up and down.  Unusual for races in my area, they were able to close the roads to traffic.  Given the winding nature of the route, that was a huge relief, as it was scary going around blind corners when I was doing the preview run. The first half isn't bad, just gentle rolling hills, but between miles 8 and 12, there are three good sized hills and a lot of continuous uphill.  Total elevation gain for the course is over 800'. 

Not surprisingly, I started out too fast.  I know you're not supposed to bank time, but I knew I was going to have trouble with the hills in the second half, so I just let my body determine a comfortably hard pace.  I had lined up at the back of the pack, but I didn't find anybody running at a pace that matched mine.  I'd run with someone for a short distance, then either they would slow down or I'd speed up a little and then I would pass them.  It is fun picking off runners, one by one or two by two, but I can't say I really raced anybody.  That worked until we hit the bad hills, and by then, I was starting to really feel the effort.  The first steep hill I ran about 2/3 of the way, then walked the last bit, but the second long hard one almost everybody around me walked.  When the 15 people in front of you all slow to a walk, you know you're not going to be going fast.  I pretty much struggled for the rest of the course, but not in a bad way. I was exhausted, but not in pain.  My hamstring only hurt once, for a few minutes, and though I had cramps while drinking some water, I was able to swallow a Gel and some Gatorade without my usual problems.  A few people passed me, but not as many as I would have expected.  It was hard, and I was wiped, but I was still enjoying being out there and running.  What surprised me the most was how quickly the miles seemed to pass, even the hard ones.  I don't know whether that was partly because I had run the course before so it felt familiar, or if I was just in one of those states of mind where time acts differently. I enjoyed the sunshine, the flowers, the green fields, the cows and goats and barking dogs, and the onlookers who waved as we passed by.

In any case, before I knew it, I turned the corner and saw the clock ahead.  I crossed the mat at 2:08:53, a better time than I expected, especially after walking as much as I did.  I was hoping for 10 minute miles, would have been happy with 10:30, and instead I averaged 9:48.  That was good enough for 112/198, but first out of four in my age group (55-59).  So I got a trophy, along with my t-shirt and finisher's medal.  I'm happy.

After the race, they provided a few snacks (fruit, water, granola bars) and a free Coors Light, which went down well while we waited for the awards ceremony and cheered in the rest of the runners.  We decided not to wait around for the Beer Festival to open at 1:00.  I was tired and starting to get hungry and I really needed a shower.  There were hamburgers and hot dogs and such for sale, but we decided to go for second breakfast instead.  My stomach was feeling a little wonky, and eggs and toast always sit well.

Anyhow, my splits were:

1 9:21.8 1.00 9:22
    2 9:34.0 1.00 9:34
    3 9:11.6 1.00 9:12
    4 9:24.9 1.00 9:25
    5 9:32.4 1.00 9:32
    6 9:30.7 1.00 9:31
    7 9:33.6 1.00 9:34
    8 9:53.9 1.00 9:54
    9 10:12.7 1.00 10:13
    10 9:38.1 1.00 9:38
    11 10:51.9 1.00 10:52
    12 10:19.0 1.00 10:19
    13 10:08.6 1.00 10:08
    14 1:49.7 0.17 10:57 

I forgot to stop my watch, so the time on the last bit was off.

Bottom line, it was a fun event.   With more training, I would have had better endurance, but given the nature of the course, I'm happy with the results and I am very glad I decided to run today.

Docket_Rocket

Great job and congrats on making it to the starting line in one piece.  How do you feel?

Now that you got that out of the way, I am sure you're less nervous now to sign for another?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Great job! And a trophy too. Glad nothing happened this time. Hopefully your luck has changed and you'll have smooth sailing from now on!

SheCan

Ginny, this may be the best RR ever!  Congratulations on First in your AG, and such a fast time.  You've worked so hard to get here, with your body fighting you every time you got close.  I'm so happy for you!  WTG!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

LRB

I'm happy with the results and I am very glad I decided to run today.

That is the quintessential reason we race, very nice!

You have endured as many injury hardships and setbacks as any runner in the group, yet have hung in there determined to race a half marathon and lookie, lookie; you finally did it and scored age group bling to boot!

Those are nice splits, considering the hilly course I think you paced yourself just fine.  The fade wasn't a blow up so in the end your training pulled you through.

You killed it G, congrats!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Oh, way to go, Ginny! That sounds like a great race. First in your AG!! With all the hiking you do, I definitely see some trail races in your future. Great run. Smile By the way, let's see some pictures!

music_girl117

Wait, let me get this straight...this was your first-ever HM, and you won your age group??  That's so cool!!  Congrats on a great race.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Mmmmm...beer

Outstanding!  I'm glad you had a good experience after all the setbacks.  And winning your AG too, that's awesome! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

hog4life

Ginny, this may be the best RR ever!  Congratulations on First in your AG, and such a fast time.  You've worked so hard to get here, with your body fighting you every time you got close.  I'm so happy for you!  WTG!

+1 to all this! It's always nice to do better than you expect. Loved your RR.

Zelanie

You absolutely KILLED it out there, way to go!  First HM and an age group win, wow!  Sounds like you had a great time and a great run today.  And I agree with LRB that your splits look pretty darn good considering the course.

Really nice job!

GinnyinPA

MusicGirl - it's easier to win AG when the races are small and you're an over 55 female.  Not all that many of us around.  I won 2nd in AG at two previous races (5 mile and 15k), so I had some hope of an award if I didn't blow up completely.  I'll never win a race, but placing in my AG is a possibility and it's fun.  Of course, the really small races go in 10 year increments, which makes it harder.

Bin Running

Great job, Ginny. You worked so hard and with all the setback. You came out awesome. That's a very decent timing too. Now, time to look for the next HM.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Those pesky hills do get in the way. I can envision the course profile just from looking at your splits. Great job on your first HM.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Philliefan33

Great job, Ginny!

happylily

Woohoo! Congratulations, you seriously did awesome! It's the beginning of some great running/racing for you! 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010