Beginners and Beyond

Sweltering Weekend Penguins (Read 19 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Coffee time!  Then I'm heading to central park to run a bit with Kristin.  My older brother home brews, so this afternoon we're going to his place to brew some beer.  Hopefully a lite girly beer that I like (belgian wit) =P

Tomorrow I'll attempt 16 miles for the first time, and then I probably have lunch with the in-laws.  However, if they schedule it too early I can get out of it - I'm doing the 16 miles as part of a NYRR supported long run and it doesn't start until 7am.  I like my in-laws, but interacting in Chinese is difficult.  I wouldn't mind it so much if they were unable to speak English, but they are fully able to do so and still choose to speak Mandarin.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning, Jill.  Good luck on the 16 miler.  Have a nice run with Kristin. A Central Park run is on my bucket list.

SRD since we ran a 10 miler yesterday.  We will probably take a walk and then celebrate National Relaxation Day.

Have a cool weekend !!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have 7 miles later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Good morning!  I see that the starting post has been corrected!

I have 6 later.

sapf- Hope you are able to get the run and the lunch in (or maybe come late?)  Sounds like a busy weekend!  Good luck on the 16!

Jerry- Enjoy  the weeekend RD!

D- Hiya!  Have a good run!

GinnyinPA

Jill - nice that you can do long runs with a group.  I'd like that, but I don't run as early as our local groups run (5-7 am at this time of year).

D - have fun with your 7.  TM or with DH?

Z - enjoy your six

Jerry - aren't all Saturdays relaxation days?  Enjoy your walk.

AFM:  I have seven at MP planned, probably on the TM unless it rains.

PADRunner

6 this morning, now running around...

Going to an India Independence festival tonight for the food. Smile

Brilliant

Jill, have fun with Kristin!  And good luck tomorrow.

Jerry, enjoy the rest.

Damaris, Ginny, and Zel, enjoy the miles later.

PAD, that sounds like a great idea!  Enjoy the food.

I ran 7.25 this morning.  It was kind of a lousy run.  I ran with a friend (who I adore, but...I didn't get to start when I wanted, run the distance or pace I wanted, or the run the shady course I had planned).  Anyway...done, and my highest mileage week in months. Big grin

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Met with Kristin and wound up doing 8 miles with her. It is way easier to slog through the hills of Central Park with someone there to amuse me Smile there was a very flamboyant man who ran up behind us a couple of times and said "keep it up ladies".

I think I'm sending hubby alone to lunch tomorrow. The in laws want to have lunch at noon and are about an hour away on the subway. I probably won't be back from my long run until around 11 because it is about 40 minutes away on the train and it starts at 7 and I'm truly a penguin. The whole shower in 5 minutes deal isn't how I function on long run days. I like to ESU and nap after long runs Smile

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4 with DW.   Stayed in the shade since the DP was an unusual 70.  Made the asphalt kind of slick.

Back to the city this afternoon for DD2's Bday.  Should be fun with a zillion people going down for the air show.

Ginny, pretty much every day is a relaxation day for me.

hog4life

Been real busy since Thursday going to Arkansas, 9 hour drives suck! I got a handrail installed on the porch for my FIL, then managed 9 miles on Friday evening. Then on Saturday morning I woke up early to do a LR of 21.2 miles. My legs are a wee bit sore today!

PADRunner

13.2 done this morning. It felt a little cool at the start 67 renews hope that the world is not going to melt and I'll survive another August.

Movie and ESU this afternoon.

Robert31320

Team TJ

3.3 for me this morning.  Happy remainder of Sunday, everyone.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Boom 16.5 miles done.  Longest run to date =D  Some nice lady from one of my running groups let me take a puff of her inhaler (we have the same prescription) because I forgot to bring mine and it was sweltering out there.  I was definitely able to run faster without lung issues.  Maybe I should just use my inhaler daily before runs, but some part of me likes to suffer through and pretend that that I have normal lungs.

LRB

Boom 16.5 miles done.  Longest run to date =D 

Excellent!

Now ESU! Cool