Beginners and Beyond

No, They're Not Jehovah's Witnesses, They're The Saturday Penguins! (Read 35 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

So who is wandering around your neighborhood this morning?

Well this morning it was me as I battled day 6 of this stupid cold. I set out for 7 but only managed 6. To be honest, 4 would have been enough, and staying in bed would have been better. Oh well, I did my stupid thing for the day, know to enjoy the weekend!

As a face mirrors face in water, so the heart reflects the person.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - As an adult, and an American, you have the right to make poor choices Big grin  Sorry, I've been debating regulations this morning.

AFM - I have some chores to do around the house, and then some wedding invitations to get in the mail.  We're a little behind on that front.  Then, I have a good ole fashioned long run with some marathon paced miles stuffed in there.  I'm not really committed to a distance at this time, but it will be over 14.  I'll update you later.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Zelanie

I will be wandering around the neighborhood later.  5.4 easy with the dogs.  I ran my 7 last night with the intervals, and they were tough!  I ran 5 x 3:30 @ 8:34 on the TM with a 3% incline.  I felt like I should have been able to run those faster but again, that workout just kicks my ass every time!  It is the hardest one I do.  I started with 2 minute recoveries but had to go to 3 for the last two.

Luckily the music player cooperated by giving me "You Can Get it if you Really Want" and "Tubthumping" on the last couple intervals.  So cheesy but I needed all the inspiration I could get.  And at the very end of my run?   "Chant Down Babylon."  So that helped.

Gustav- I'm sorry that you're not feeling well!  Maybe taking some downtime is what you need to kick that cold to the curb?

Zelanie

Awood- Enjoy the LR.  And us penguins will be eagerly awaiting our invitations!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Zel - If you're like me, a lot of this quality work is fairly new to me.  Sometimes I can hit all of my paces, and other times I think, "Heh...maybe there's a reason they don't put these in the novice programs.".  In the end, I know that the amount of effort I put in makes it a good workout.  I know that my easy runs will always be easy, but the quality workouts are another story.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Zelanie

Thanks, Awood.  I didn't really run anything but easy miles before January, so this is definitely new.  I can hit my paces, faster even, on the flat, but I guess I underestimate what even a moderate incline adds to the difficulty.

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  An easy 16 in South Beach done.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Morning guys. Already in bed.

Was to do 14M with 8M at goal. Alas, didn't do as I wanted.

Started with 3M LR pace and started to cranked up the pace to goal pace. Was suffering at mile 2 of it. Managed to hold till I did 5M at that pace. Continue to try to finish the run at LR pace but was fading badly. Ended the run at 11M and had to walk 3M home. Managed to squeeze in 1M at recovery on the way home. Totally exhausted and had to take a nap.

Maybe just a bad run day.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins!

Gustav- Sorry you're still sick Sad take it easy

Awood have a good run

Zelanie- great job pushing through the intervals when they got tough!

Damaris- nice run! South Beach sounds awesome

Bin- we all have bad runs sometimes. Shake it off...there is always another run ahead of you!

AFM- Just got back from Zumba class! I can't run today (or shouldn't....I have my 5K tomorrow and a rest day before a race is always best for me) but I had to do SOMETHING (not feeling the lazy Saturday...I wanted to sweat!) and I realized I haven't been to Zumba in FOREVER! So off I went and had a blast!

Have a great Saturday! No racing Penguins today??

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

DW and I got up at 5:30 and ran 10 miles together. It was cool and we did an 8:29 pace. It will be fun doing the HM with her in April, though we won't finish together. I am glad she has taken it up because it gives us a little more time together because of our busy schedules. Speaking of which, we are now off to older DD's track meet where she is running the 800 and 1600. Tonight we are going to put back some of those burned calories. We are going to some place called the Back Abbey. It's a pub that has massive burgers, fries that are fried in duck fat, and "tankards" of beer. Needless to say, we will likely share the food, but not the beer!

Have a great weekend.

Gus: I hope you get better. It STINKS when those things drag on.

Awood: Have fun with the planning. I remember those days... 20 years ago!

Bin: No worries, it happens to us all.

Zel: Thanks a lot! Now I will have "Tubthumping" stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Grrrrrrr.....

Docket: Well done!! Someday I hope to run that far. Smile

Kristin: How are the calf sleeves?

She Can: Guess where my avatar pic was taken. Smile

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice run with DW Jack! Glad she has become a RP to you. Love my calf sleeves Smile Smile how are yours?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

South Beach is nice but super expensive.  For example, you would pay $25 in parking, $20 to enter a club, etc.  But between the 5am crowd and the 6am runners, there is a sliver of time you can park for free, run on the beach and see the sunrise.  Only in the Winter because the Summer is too hot for that kind of shadeless place.  As for beaches, it's not a very pretty beach.  I've seen many better.  But seeing the traffic jam on Collins Ave. and A1A is priceless.  All the tourists and people there.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I just got round one of wedding invites out, and the temp is slowly creeping toward that 31 degree high.  Looks like I should start getting my running gear on!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Morning everyone!  7 days of no running "liked to about kill me."  LOL  It was worth it.  I walked a mile on the dreadmill then ran 1.75 and finished up with another 1/4 mile walk.  Other than some generalized stiffness and a rather bloated feeling because I took no running to mean I could consume whatever I wanted this week... all systems are very good.  My right knee has always been my "running thermometer" and it was set to "you're doing ok."  No issues at all with my left.  So, a week of easy running then we'll see after that.