Beginners and Beyond

Alien Penguin Tuesday (Read 23 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Invite an Alien to Live with You Day - Celebrated on the birthday of Robin Williams, star of 'Mork and Mindy.' He was born on this day in 1952, in Chicago, Illinois. Sponsor: The Life of the Party.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." -Robin Williams

Nanu Nanu

PADRunner

Took a RD yesterday.

Weights and a mile this morning,  group tonight.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have weights and 6 miles tonight, after my allergy shot.  Leaving work at noon for that, yay.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My wife got me up at 3:30 this morning to take her to the airport for a conference she is going to in Vegas.  By the time she was ready to actually go, it was closer to 4:30, sheesh.  Dropped her off at the airport and then off to the local Y, which conveniently opens at 5 a.m.   I did a run/walk through the neighborhood and city park adjacent to the Y.  For getting up so early, I actually felt pretty good, so god in fact that although I was originally planning an easy 3-mile outing, I ended up doing hill work - 6 hills along the way of varying sizes, a couple of them pretty steep -  and completing 4.6 miles in 52 minutes.  Actually, I was out there a little longer than an hour, but I only recorded my actual run/walk time. I stopped my timer when  was in the park and walked down a trail to enjoy watching some deer that were out and about; and then on one of the hilltops, I walked down another trail and enjoyed seeing a beautiful sunrise come up over a golf course.  After each of those times I then restarted my timer when I got back to doing my/run walk.

I'll tell you what, though....running along the paved trails in the semi-darkness with woods on either side if you is kinda creepy.  I could hear 'critter sounds'  on either side of me - a skunk crossed the trail ahead of me at one point - I gave that one a wide berth! - and a couple of deer came barreling across the trail in front of me at another point, sheesh - and got a Wizard of Oz feeling...lions and tigers and bears, oh my! 

Glad I got my run/walk in this morning...weather folks have predicted the after-work temp will be 96 high with a heat index of 102, yikes! I much prefer warm weather over cold, but that is a bit too warm even for me.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  It was still 89 with a "feels like" of 100 last night at 9:00, so we didn't run.  Tonight will also depend on the weather.  We could technically switch to morning running, which is what we usually do for the summer, but our PT routine is fairly habitual in the morning and I'd hate to switch it up and then be too lazy in the evening to do PT.  Right now I figure keeping up PT is more important than running, since the heat won't last forever.  The install for our solar panels is starting today -- DH said they're there and unloading the truck.  I kinda wish I could be there to watch, but considering Dusty is going to bark ALL day, maybe it's better I'm at work!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your weights and mile, enjoy the group run!!

Docket -- have a good 6 and weights, hope the allergy shot is easy, and woo-hoo for leaving early!!

scotty -- Wow, that's an early morning, but sounds like you made the most of it!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

PAD, have a great group run tonight.

Damaris, enjoy the weights and run and ...shot.

Scotty, good job on the hill work!

Hopesmom, good luck with the solar installation.

6 miles done with my run club this morning.  I almost didn't go (I still have the running blahs) but I'm glad I did.  Easy pace but some hills thrown in, so it was a good workout.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! I'M WEARING NORMAL SHOES TODAY! And walking with my whole foot! Definitely not run-ready yet, but if I can walk without contorting my foot and leg now the transition back to running should be a little easier when it happens. I have my ugly velcro shoe wrapped up in a shopping bag in my purse just in case I need to switch back to it.

70 minutes pool running done this morning, weights done just before lunch.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Took a RD yesterday.

Weights and a mile this morning,  group tonight.

oh yeah...

GinnyinPA

PAD - sounds like you are in for a rough session tonight.  Good luck.

Damaris - I hope the shot doesn't take too much out of you.

Scotty - sounds like a lovely run.  I always enjoyed being out at dawn and dusk hiking.  I rarely do it running though.

HopesMom - I hope you get some cooler weather soon so you can do some running.  Can you at least walk at night?

Lauren - hurray for normal shoes!  You've done well with the pool running.  I think you'll be surprised at how well that maintained your fitness.  Just go slowly when you do start running again, because your feet and ankles will need to get used to weight bearing again.

Brilliant - sorry you're still in a funk.  OTOH, you've had a really busy/stressful summer with the move and racing.  Taking it easy for a while isn't a bad idea.  Unless, of course, you're supposed to be training for another long race.  I'm glad your group run was fun.

Hi Sly!

Not too hot, but very humid here today (83 feels like 93).  I'll either do an easy run outside if the clouds stick around or some speedwork on the machine later.

hog4life

Hi everyone, 7 easy last night, with 7 and speed work tonight.

Lauren, glad to hear your toe is on the mend!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

52* DP.  I think we can do 5 this afternoon.

Glad you didn't run over the skunk, Scott.  Gail would have to extend her trip.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi pens! I'M WEARING NORMAL SHOES TODAY! And walking with my whole foot! Definitely not run-ready yet, but if I can walk without contorting my foot and leg now the transition back to running should be a little easier when it happens. I have my ugly velcro shoe wrapped up in a shopping bag in my purse just in case I need to switch back to it.

70 minutes pool running done this morning, weights done just before lunch.

Like!!

Solar installation, snag 1.  The guy had called me the other day and told me that he'd like to install DC optimizers under each panel.  That way, if some are shaded, the others perform at full capacity.  It costs more, but he thinks we'll have greater capacity even if he installs one fewer panel, so he offered us that option at the same price, and I agreed it sounded good.

Only to find out this morning that this removes the option of the dedicated outlet which we could use if the power went out, as long as the sun was shining.  Which the guy still thinks is an overall better option for us, but he was highly apologetic that he forgot to mention that little detail.

But we will have the option of online monitoring.  So I guess I could sit at my desk at work and see how much sun we're using ... 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hi pens ! Urd yesterday because of travel issues. Today I got 2 miles done in the morning before I decided the air quality in Strasbourg wasn't good for my lungs. I'm on th high speed train back to Paris now so after dinner I'm going to try to get the missing four miles of my run done. I figure I can run around the Eiffel Tower while hubby drinks some beer or wine in the park and then I can have a post run beer when I'm done. Tomorrow will be cross training as we are going to visit chateaus and cycle around the Loire valley.

Lauren - yay for normal shoes

hsm - yay for alternate energy sources. We've passed quite a few wind turbines on the train

pad - enjoy your group run

dr - do you still have to take Claritin or other antihistamines with allergy shots?

scotty - nice long run Smile

Brill - I'm glad you're getting back to running

ginny - this trip has me missing access to the air conditioned treadmill. It got up into the high 90s in Strasbourg today. We chose the hotel we stayed at because it had a fitness center - which had a single treadmill in a room without air conditioning

Hog - are you training for anything specific?

Hi speedy sly.

Jerry - I'm jealous of your weather.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

But we will have the option of online monitoring.  So I guess I could sit at my desk at work and see how much sun we're using ... 

Once our panels are in too we can have our sun race your sun then.

I just ran one of the shuffliest shuffles that I have ever shuffled.  Audiobooks seem to do that to me, but it was a good book.  Plus I was moving so slowly smoothly that I didn't scare away the bunny rabbit or the doe with her two fawns.  And I ran into a friend who I hadn't seen in more than a year and we got to catch up a bit.  Now I really should pack.

Lauren- Hooray for real shoes!  And for rocking the pool running!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

It was so nice, we did 6.

No solar panels in our neighborhood. Too many oxygen producing trees.