Beginners and Beyond

Photo Report - Police and Firefighters Memorial 5K (Read 13 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos.  I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them. 

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes, maps, and conversation forums for runners and much more!

Done on May 28, 2016 Police & Firefighters Memorial 5K was my 28th race of 2016. Held at Heroes Stadium area in San Antonio, put on by my good friend, John Purnell and his company, Purnell Racing.  Still nursing my hamstring and piriformis along, so took it pretty easy. Thought I would finish in around 40-something but surprised myself and finished in 37-something, which was good enough for 3rd place in my 60 – 64 age group.  Leg and butt felt pretty good and I even managed to get up to the top of the big hill on the course – which we had to do twice – running the majority of it each time – although it was a very slow run, lol, and I took short choppy steps so as not to aggravate something.  All in all the leg and butt felt pretty good – not all the way healed yet but doing much better – so I was pleased with my progress.  A nice touch on the race bibs - each participant carried the name of  one of the fallen ones on his/her bib.

On to the photos!  I do tend to take a LOT of photos at the events I do.  So if you’d rather just see photos only without my commentary you can check out the slideshow of this event at this link:      http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2028%20Police%20Firefighters%20Memorial%205K

BEFORE THE START

I live about 6 miles driving distance from Heroes Stadium, so a very short drive for me to get to race site; which was nice, I got to sleep in a bit more.   Got my race timing chip and then wandered around taking some pre-start photos.  “Gray” photos…VERY overcast in San Antonio on this race day and very humid (90-something percent) and a high dewpoint in the 70s.  Still, it never did rain on us, which is better than our poor sister city of Houston – they have been getting pounded and have flooding, etc – so my heart goes out to my friends there and the rest of the folks, wishing them all to be safe.

Yours Truly with the bagpiper who played Amazing Grace right before participants headed out onto the course

photo 015_zps6flzhfvr.jpg

Some of my fellow Team RWB (Red White & Blue) veterans organization teammates

photo 002_zps5jlfuuy8.jpg

photo 004_zpsscbip8t5.jpg

photo 005_zpsvjju7d0j.jpg

Cooking up the sausages..

photo 006_zpsv1bao0fh.jpg

photo 007_zpssf8f55qy.jpg

photo 011_zpsqya4yal1.jpg

photo 017_zps8tnqjeom.jpg

Look at little Rocky Dog showing off his great legs... 

photo 025_zpsucvk9wdg.jpg

Team RWB member Moni and friend, who did the timing and results

photo 030_zpshq1adh7f.jpg

Various volunteers, participants, etc

photo 001_zpszymezf93.jpg

Fire Academy cadets

photo 009_zpswhcg1n8t.jpg

They must have a tough training schedule...that kneeling 3rd guy from the left in the photo below and the guy behind him decided to take a short nap..

photo 010_zpsbgxpvout.jpg

Big SWAT, Little SWAT, and the SWAT dog

photo 018_zpspza5fdos.jpg

photo 012_zpsod3iif66.jpg

photo 013_zpsvdvyppkr.jpg

photo 016_zpsvm5nyc8b.jpg

photo 019_zps9tip5rjb.jpg

Clowning around with Ronald

photo 020_zpscpq2oipp.jpg

photo 021_zps4n2huvzj.jpg

pre-start drum line contest

photo 022_zpshd2b4tis.jpg

photo 023_zps5mtxsbta.jpg

The 3 people in blue are wearing the race shirts participants got

photo 024_zpsldkod1ef.jpg

This young lady walked the whole course carrying her baby....and that must've been a workout going up the course hill twice.

photo 026_zpscbj8u4ra.jpg

photo 027_zpsc1dx2dtp.jpg

Hey, MC Mark!  The camera is this way!

photo 028_zpsd63pqqq9.jpg

That's better...

photo 029_zpstfqkeqxr.jpg

Presenting the Colors

photo 031_zps4hic6g7z.jpg

In the start crowd

photo 033_zpsaqypfgpz.jpg

Getting ready to go....

photo 032_zpsm7ziwbiw.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Start in front of the stadium, then a lap around the surrounding stadium roads, and then up this darn long uphill.  Back down the hill, repeat the lap we did the first time, up-and-down the hill a second time, and then back into the stadium parking lot and to the finish.

photo 034_zpscz7vtf5k.jpg

photo 035_zpsedlklrqb.jpg

photo 036_zps35egridv.jpg

photo 037_zpss2xzwczq.jpg

photo 038_zpsdv8yjvq6.jpg

photo 039_zpsrmnlmgpv.jpg

I was in the proximity of these two lovely ladies - my friends Maria and Dee - for most of the way

photo 040_zpsxlgnlm2b.jpg

The hill!  I caught the very speedy Malik - #323 - already doing his 2nd lap, I think, and heading to the finish, as I was completing my first lap.

photo 041_zps5iqwciby.jpg

Up we go!

photo 042_zpspdux7afd.jpg

And behind me, as I start up...

photo 043_zps5hc69ihb.jpg

And now I'm  down the hill

photo 044_zpsnfy1dlkk.jpg

I tried to convince Race Director John that 60+ -year olds get to take the 'handicap" route to the finish and turn left on the road in front of him, but he was not having any of it, lol.

photo 045_zpsb44rrcft.jpg

Back with the ladies again

photo 046_zpsxubxhy4e.jpg

photo 047_zpsrwjaiqye.jpg

My friend, Margaret - who will soon be my Dental Hygienist, as I am changing dentists to the dentist she works for.  My first visit for a cleaning from her..I am going to eat a bag of oreos before I go. 

photo 048_zpsr45nbnlk.jpg

2nd time up the hill.  Got a small drink before I went up the 2nd time

photo 049_zpsgkgmtg9k.jpg

photo 052_zpsqd7jkcbm.jpg

photo 053_zpslvdrj5me.jpg

Runners, the flag, and the cadets coming toward me as I go up

photo 050_zpsbwoqlpjc.jpg

photo 051_zpsetvbz79c.jpg

At the top for a 2nd time....and got this photo of one of my Team RWB mates carrying the flag up the hill.

photo 054_zps0qmxlujx.jpg

After that, headed to the finish!  2nd time around, John did let me make the turn to the finish, lol.   And then I was done!

AFTER THE FINISH

Behaved myself – for a change, lol – and did my post-race stretching.  Thought it was funny - and also kind of them - some of my Team RWB mates offered to ‘stretch me’ and I gave a resounding “NO!” which made a couple of them laugh. “No”, because I have a very weird back and hips from my birth defect and arthritis and if someone ‘stretches’ me the wrong way…well, as Porky Pig would say ‘Th-th-that’s all folks!”  I know all the ‘oddities’ of my body, so I prefer to just stretch myself.  One reason I really am not fond of massages, I just have ‘trust issues’ with them, lol.

Team RWB was handing out Kiolbassa sausages – my favorite! – while they lasted.  There was also some bottled water for all finishers, various fruits – I found those over in a corner somewhere, I don’t think many folks realized that was there – and so forth.   After my stretching and sausage munching, it was time to get some post-race photos.

Me and my  "Man Crush", Team RWB Team Leader Roy Orozco, a guy I admire greatly.  He has done so much for our team and for the community.

photo 055_zpsgskmp3c7.jpg

photo 056_zps9zjvymdy.jpg

Our course safety officer.  He does this for quite a few local events, riding up and down the course making sure everyone is okay and leading the lead runners.

photo 057_zpsjxhwgzir.jpg

photo 058_zps7wahcvvr.jpg

Yeah, I'm with the dog...that's my best side too.

photo 059_zpsra26ddic.jpg

photo 060_zpspbxzraev.jpg

photo 061_zpsxiucpmha.jpg

Speedy Ed, on the far right, is in my age group.  He got 2nd in our division. By MANY minutes ahead of me, lol.

photo 062_zpskfuzrxcr.jpg

photo 063_zpsgohkurjj.jpg

Making myself look good....

photo 064_zps9e1zq8pl.jpg

My fellow cancer-survivor Dana - and she is one tough fighter! She personifies Never Give Up! - her husband (left) and friend Steve

photo 066_zpswinqdwdd.jpg

photo 067_zpsxnkownko.jpg

She has Great Legs too.    All in good fun.   I am very lucky my wife is a patient woman, has a good sense of humor, and knows I love her more than anything and anyone.

photo 068_zpsojpueed4.jpg

Jerry G, the winner of my 60-64 age group....by MUCHO minutes before me.

photo 069_zpsvkgmhcm2.jpg

photo 070_zps10cdrmgp.jpg

3rd place for me.  Another medal for the cancer kids at San Antonio Children's Hospital.  Here, with my speedy friend, Anthony.  VERY speedy..thank goodness he is NOT in my age group, lol.

photo 071_zpszv0fuorr.jpg

photo 073_zpslcb6aihs.jpg

photo 074_zpswpbnumah.jpg

Dee, me, Maria, and Ed....fade back...

photo 075_zpslml7gwyl.jpg

It's time for our close-up Mr. DeMille...

photo 076_zpsqjvtebrk.jpg

photo 077_zps4snmiuzq.jpg

4 medal folks....

photo 078_zpsqssbln12.jpg

...and one more lovely Team RWB member to finish up....

photo 080_zpshfhc3g40.jpg

EPILOGUE

Nicely organized event, good quality race shirts and a good course – could have done without the hill though, John!  Yes, I am a hill wimp, lol, at least until I am 100% again. Post-race gift certificates handed out – I won nada, darn the luck – and nice seeing and interacting with lots of friends out there.  This one has been on my race calendar for just about every year I’ve lived in San Antonio and will continue to be on it in the future.

Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, law enforcement, vendors, sponsors, race course set-up and timing results folks, etc. who made this one happen for we participants.  Thanks to the San Antonio Fire Academy cadets for being out there for us – and I think there were some police academy folks too,  and some folks from the local police SWAT unit, so thanks to them also.

Next race for me is the June 11 Veterans Assistance Dogs of Texas 5K, being held at the Valero Leon Creek Greenway Trailhead - - https://register.iaapweb.com/Search/event.aspx?id=35971  Y’all come on out…I’ll take your photo.  It may not be like a professional photographer’s photo……but it is free!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I see they personalized your t-shirt for you.  Nice.