Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES are like snowflakes (Read 39 times)

outoftheblue

Rainy day here.  The 3 miles went well yesterday, but I think I will just stick to weights and maybe a little elliptical today.

Life is good.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning!

Scotty, I think I should lobby DW on moving to SA. At least we'd be able to go outside in the cold months. Smile

Basya, congrats on getting in to the MCM. I hope to run it one day.

Ran on the TM in feels-like temps in the 60s. I was nice! 9 mile "Tempo" run. It contained 4 x [ 10 min T Pace + 2 min E pace ], so it was more like cruise intervals.

Adios!

- Andrew

LRB

What the hell is happening today?

My first question when that happens with an artist is did they die?  lol

Scotty, it snowed on the east side as well, I just was unaware of it until I went outside.  lol

Hi Kris!

Good foresight Tom!

That was my thinking as well Shari.

Wassup everyone else!

My Garmin decided to be a prick today and would not locate a satellite.  So after fiddling around with it standing in the freezing cold on the corner of my street for about 10 minutes I just said screw and took off running.

I eventually got it to register 2.3 miles into the run, so I just basically filled in the blanks in my log.  It helps that I know mile markers on my routes, 6 easy done.

Stupid watch.

delicate flower

My Garmin decided to be a prick today and would not locate a satellite.  So after fiddling around with it standing in the freezing cold on the corner of my street for about 10 minutes I just said screw and took off running.

Stupid question and some unsolicited advice, even though you didn't ask for advice or opinions and probably want me to just STFU already:  Did you trying turning off the satellites and turning them back on?  My various Garmins, including my newest 620, would occasionally take forever to lock in.  Turning off the satellites then turning them back on usually does the trick.  This even happened just yesterday.  The 620 usually locks in so fast that if it takes longer than a minute, I do the shut off/turn on trick.

<3

LRB

I have the 410 which makes a situation like this mornings more difficult than it needs to be as it is basically useless wearing multiple layers of gloves as I was.

I eventually let it go into sleep mode (watch only) then tried it again and it worked.

Zelanie

Morning!  Today I have that dreaded 4 x 1600 workout ( 1 sec/lap slower than "goal" 10K pace).  Yikes!  Although I am very lucky in that Linda specifically mentioned how helpful that one was in her race.  Maybe I will remember that long enough to keep me going?  The rest of the track group is also running 1600s, but since they're running at tempo pace, they're taking shorter recoveries.  I am taking a full lap recovery, because I want to make sure I can still hit my pace for miles 3 and 4.  Maybe I can convince somebody to run a longer recovery with me though. 

As for the weather, it will get into the 50s today, but the rain and wind are supposed to pick up as the day goes on.  There's even a chance of thunderstorms, although we rarely get those, so hopefully we won't today either.

LRB- I hate it when my Garmin does that!  It's only been a few times, but it is annoying.  Glad you were running in familiar territory.

Basya- Enjoy the group run. Glad you're recovering so well!

DaveP- Nice tempo!

Lily- No problem, here I am whining today!  Hope your 15 miler goes well.

kristin- Glad you're feeling better!  I saw your miles this week in the 2014 game and was happy to see they were getting up there again!  Good luck this weekend!

Phil- Nice MP run!

Scotty- Those zoo runs really sound delightful.  Glad you get to stay inside the gym today.

Hobbitlegs- Did you really say that out loud?  The meeting gods might hear that and schedule an emergency meeting, you know!  I hope that doesn't happen and you get to enjoy your 5 instead.

FreeSoul- Glad you got the miles in and are warming up now.

D- Good luck in court!

Tom- Good luck getting that tree cut and stacked!  I guess there are some advantages to living in a newer development with few trees here. Smile

Step- Good luck on the hill repeats!  I should do more of those, but, alas, I don't.

Linda- Glad you had a good run yesterday!

Andrew- I wish the TM where I live felt more like the 60s than a blazing sauna!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My garmin told me that my elevation gain was like 1,300 feet or something this morning........... a run I've done a dozen times and normally gives me around 100-150 feet........ how the FUCK does that happen?  Thankfully, that really isn't a big deal to me Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning!  Today I have that dreaded 4 x 1600 workout ( 1 sec/lap slower than "goal" 10K pace). 

Z, it's uncanny how similar our workouts are. Today I did something like 4 x 2000 w/ 2 min recoveries. Pace was probably +11 or so on 10k pace (although it would be +26 on my 10k PR pace).

- Andrew

Zelanie

Z, it's uncanny how similar our workouts are. Today I did something like 4 x 2000 w/ 2 min recoveries. Pace was probably +11 or so on 10k pace (although it would be +26 on my 10k PR pace).

Ooh, now when I am running I can be glad I don't still have an extra lap to do when I'm done with my 1600! Smile  My pace is a guessing game since Pfitz specifically mentions "goal" pace, but I think I paced the 1200s about right two weeks ago, so I'll continue with the same goal pace even though I've never actually pulled it off during a real 10K race.

LRB

Today I have that dreaded 4 x 1600 workout ( 1 sec/lap slower than "goal" 10K pace).  Yikes!  Although I am very lucky in that Linda specifically mentioned how helpful that one was in her race.  Maybe I will remember that long enough to keep me going? 

I understand the trepidation (mostly due to the length), but at 10k pace you can eat those up and spit them out like watermelon seeds.  1000's at 5k pace or 600's at mile pace are actually tougher in some respects.

With these you just have to find your rhythm and avoid mental lulls during laps 2 & 3, which essentially lull you into slowing down even though physically you are otherwise fine.  So stay focused!

outoftheblue

LRB - you are right about the mental battle for laps 2 and 3 on those repeats!

Zel - when I was at mile 12, I literally pictured myself on the track, thinking just 4 more laps to go, hold your pace, I can do this.

Day 5 on broody hen watch.  I had to physically take her off the nest again to eat.  She was still in her broody trance and was trying to settle down to brood near the water dish when Little Duke came in and tried to jump her.  That woke her up!  She squawked and ran outside the coop to the outdoor feeder -- ate, drank, bathroomed and then right back to the nest.

Life is good.

LRB

Day 5 on broody hen watch.  I had to physically take her off the nest again to eat.  She was still in her broody trance and was trying to settle down to brood near the water dish when Little Duke came in and tried to jump her.  That woke her up!  She squawked and ran outside the coop to the outdoor feeder -- ate, drank, bathroomed and then right back to the nest.

Hilarious!  You make it sound so cool and easy to raise those things when I am sure it is anything but.

StepbyStep-SH

I have 12 miles with hill repeats planned as soon as I drop DS off at school. Not looking forward to "feels like" temps in the single digits, but I really want to avoid the TM. I have a nice steep hill (.3 miles long, with the last half of that at 5-7% grade) which I will probably run up 10 times, split into two sets of 5 with 2 mile break and a longer hill in between. I expect this run to be slow, but should be good for strength and still get my heart rate up.

Done! And at a 10:22 overall pace, which I feel very good about. My last repeat up the hill was the same pace as my first. But, dang, now I'm feeling it. Hill workouts are sneaky - you think you got through them with flying colors, then feel like someone knocked you on your ass an hour later. Or is that just me?

Hopefully martial arts tonight will be mostly working on forms and getting to break boards to practice for the tournament this weekend - that means a little less core work and drills and a little more downtime. And no, I am not competing in the tournament, but DS will be.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

Back from court.  I switched routes to drive back to the office and had a nice change of mind.  Highway vs the beach route.  Of course, the second one has put me in a good mood.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Lily, enjoy the fifteen miles.

kristin10185, wonderful to see you here again. I'm glad that you're feeling better.

Phil, excellent eight this morning.

scottydawg, have a pleasant lifting session. Which exercises do you do?

Nicole, have a great post-work run.

Damaris, have fun doing whatever you do.

Tom, practical cross-training. I like.

outoftheblue, have fun using the weights and the elliptical machine. Your chickens are characters, LOL.

Andrew, bravo on the nine with tempo work.

Rick, sweet easy six. Stinky Garmin. My 210 has been stubborn, too, lately.

Zelanie, enjoy the 4x1600.

Shari, terrific hilly ten.

I'm looking forward to tonight's run club meetup. I'm also awaiting notification of whether I'll be doing NYCM, too.