Beginners and Beyond

Finally FriDAILIES (Read 49 times)

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

'Morning, Ralph.  'Morning, Sam.  

That's pretty much the extent of our conversations from Monday mornings through Friday mornings.

2 weeks to go though!!

outoftheblue

Morning all -- I just lost my last post due to a brief loss on internet.   The short version -- SRD and a bunch of chores today, but I am looking forward to the weekend.

LRB -- thanks for the nice words yesterday.

I hope everyone has a fabulous Easter weekend!

Life is good.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

11.2 wonderful miles for me. Perfect weather today.

LRB pizza at the theater?  Hmm I guess why not?  That show is supposed to be great!

Jeep sorry the run wasn't that great.

Sorry Phil that made me laugh on the boxers

Basya kudos on the consistent work outs

Morning Scotty!

Great running everyone!

Marjorie

Ric-G

fla - nice 5

robert - very cool about the good friday and homeless walk

april - hope you get out early

LRB - can't beat running, pizza and a movie

D - no traffic is always welcome

baboon - cool of you to volunteer

basya - good info on frappe

scotty - good luck on the 8k

amik - i was short a mile today too

justB - hope your 19 goes well manana

was planning on 5 easy...made it 4 easy. Have a good Easter and great weekend everyone!

marathon pr - 3:16

delicate flower

LRB and Phil: Sorry to hear about the boxer troubles...I don't see how you guys wear those things...don't they get all bunched up?

They only bunch up if I'm wearing baggy boxers with slim fitting pants.  Otherwise, it's no snug undies for me.  I still have not corrected today's boxer situation.  I think I'll be riding this out until I get home.

<3

Luke79

Hey dailies.

Anyone run races with bad allergies?  Fuck pollen.  I'm all jacked up right now, sinus wise.  I have a 5k in the morning.  I hope it goes well.

I should still get my sub 25.

To the gym after work and maybe a couple of slow miles n the treadmill to try out the new shoes.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I posted a question about low mileage over in the general forum:

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/8b044106098349b1a9ef3fad24c21715/resume#focus

Wondering if there are others on a low mileage sort of schedule that might have some guidance.  A HM is out for me this year, but I'd like to work on shorter distances.   But my right leg is a mess from my nerve issues, and I can't really do anything much in terms of distance increases in the near future until that resolves.

Oski, I am THERE right now and have been for quite a few years now (stupid arthritis!)  No LSD runs and no high mileage for me anymore, per my doc, cuz that is just way too hard on my spine, with the really bad arthritis and DDD (degenerative disk disease) I have in there - which is at FIVE levels of my spine! Shocked  Which is why I do run/walk and about only 15 - 20 mile per week and  only 4 days a week - Tue/Thur/Sat/Sun.  I want to get more consistent, since my weekly mileage really tends to go all over the place.  So my doc has me gradually - VERY gradually, lol, took me months to get up to 4 mile distance - working to eventually have a run/walk week that will look like this:  6 miles/4 miles/6 miles/4 miles.  This will give me 20 miles per week and also allow me to do the occasional 10K - I like 10Ks - which is about as much distance these days that my back can handle.   I don't do any speedwork - blech! - but one running day a week I do hills..lots and lots of different sized hills on my route, the whole route is just about ALL hills.  I have found that with the hills I actually have become a bit faster over time, even with no speedwork, and especially when I run a flat route.

Even with my low mileage, I do fine for 5Ks.  But, as you know, I don't RACE my 5Ks, so that probably makes a difference.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hip Redux

I was hoping you'd chime in Scotty!

I have four ruptured discs - which cause both arm and leg issues.   It's really only the leg issue that has affected my running, though having my arm go numb on a run is certainly annoying.

I could do a 6/4/6/4 schedule - that's a nice way to split it.   I would probably want to throw in some speed work just not sure what and how often...

I "race" my 5Ks but really, I might as well be taking photos for as fast as I go. :P

Docket_Rocket

How do you feel after speedwork sessions?  Does it need more recover than a normal easy run? For example, for my asthma anything faster than tempo starts screwing up my lungs, which makes me take 2-3 days before they clear again, which affect my next 3 workouts, etc.  If your issue needs more recovery after a speedwork session, take it into consideration (maybe not do it every week).  The same with anything longer than 6.  You might be able to push through an 8 miler every other week or every three weeks or so.

I was hoping you'd chime in Scotty!

I have four ruptured discs - which cause both arm and leg issues.   It's really only the leg issue that has affected my running, though having my arm go numb on a run is certainly annoying.

I could do a 6/4/6/4 schedule - that's a nice way to split it.   I would probably want to throw in some speed work just not sure what and how often...

I "race" my 5Ks but really, I might as well be taking photos for as fast as I go. :P

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

Good question, D.   I don't have any specific recovery issues for speedwork over something like an easy run, like I can have a hard work out and the next day no immediate negative effects  - BUT too much over a period of days, and my back will start to get sore and the leg symptoms worse.   So what I did last year was I would take a recovery day after a hard workout, and make sure I didn't go more than 3 days in a row with any sort of running.

Basically - the difficulty of the run doesn't affect me as much as just the act of running itself does.    The only thing that really makes it unhappy immediately is length of time - not sure I understand why, but after a point, my back is just done and I lose feeling in my foot, etc etc.

Docket_Rocket

Coming from me, it is a weird suggestion, but do you run in full or walk/run?  I know Scotty walks/run so it might be something that is worth considering if it's going to allow you extend the longer runs.

And coming from me, who hates run/walking, it is a weird suggestion....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

Nope, straight run.  Never tried a run/walk, but certainly is worth a try.   I get annoyed walking though lol

Docket_Rocket

Me too.  But maybe try anything after 6 miles as run/walk and see if that helps?

Nope, straight run.  Never tried a run/walk, but certainly is worth a try.   I get annoyed walking though lol

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

I will.   I am also thinking about doubles... wondering if I split up longer runs if that will help.

Me too.  But maybe try anything after 6 miles as run/walk and see if that helps?