Beginners and Beyond

Today's Penguins Are Wednesdaylicious! (Read 33 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Did 4 easy last night. I may go in to work later today, if at all. My wife has a medical test and needs a ride home and if it snows she will be without one. We live 2 miles from the hospital but they won't let her drive. I'm so proud of her, last night she donated her hair to Locks of Love.

You never know what today will bring

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - Locks of Love is an amazing organization.  That is awesome.  Good luck getting into work, and thanks for starting us off.

Jack Klompus -  Awesome run last night.  Especially like how you got faster toward the end.

Coralie - Welcome back!

Zel - I love birthdays.  That pie you had looked great.  What you said about having your health back makes total sense to me.  Keep up the good work.

AFM - I got 6 miles in last night on the treadmill.  For whatever reason the website that converts garmin connect to nike + doesn't want to convert my manually input treadmill run last night.  It only matters because I track my shoes with Nike +, but I am also 1/2 mile out of first place among my Nike + friends.  I should have a 5 1/2 mile lead.  Oh well.  Jblackjr, are you having any problems with that site?  Also, P3 loves the new Garmin, even though she didn't get a chance to use it yet.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

St. Jude's Hero Profile

Bad Ass

Morning!  5 recovery miles tonight.  Off to court, which makes me happy because I am not happy with my analyst at the office and I really don't want to be there.

Gustav, nice 4.  Hope your wife's tests go well.

Awood, nice 6.

Have a nice day!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Damaris -  I'm never a fan of the office, and I'm the only person in mine.  Good morning!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

St. Jude's Hero Profile

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Hello Penguins! Happy to see some absentee penguins checking in! I miss people when I don't "see" them on here for awhile!

Just got back from spin class. Happy I called early enough yesterday to get on “the list” this week because there was a cat fight this morning! People showed up off the waiting list and people who weren’t on any list at all and hopped on bikes…. instructor had to take attendance and kick people out.

Have a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Morning everyone.

7 easy miles just now. Seem like Sunday lousy run also gave a black toenail.

2014 races

2XU HM - 02 Mar (1:44:55)

BeHero 10K (Hong Kong) - 23 Mar (46:13)

JP Morgan 5.6K - 24 Apr

Run350 HM - 27 Apr

Sundown HM - 31 May

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristin - There has to be a camera on your phone.  You have to record cat fights...please :-)

Bin - You sound like you need a day off.  You have my permission.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

St. Jude's Hero Profile

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Gustav - Welcome back man.  Very cool about Locks of Love.

AW - I think Garmin had a small issue yesterday.  It took me a few tries to upload yesterday.

Damaris - do you ever think back and realize when you say "5 miler recovery run" how crazy that sounds?  When I run an easy 5 or 6 I still a laugh at the sound of it as I think back to when I first started running.  6 miles might as well been an ultra.

Kristin - people are amazing - sometimes in not so great ways.  LOL

Bin - OW.  One thing I've yet to contend with is black toenails.  I've lost a couple but not bruising associated with it.

AFM - morning after my run I feel good.  My back (of all things) is a little stiff but both knees feel good.  SRD today.  Fasting labs this morning so no coffee and I'm hungry.  Then work later today - how exciting.  LOL  I may hop on the dreadmill to walk off some of this stiffness after the appointment.  Catcha later!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Used one of the San Antonio YMCA's yesterday after work as my 'base', left from there and got a very nice run/walk int through and around Brackenridge Park, near the San Antonio Zoo.  Somebody loves me, the 35 - 40 mph winds died down by 4 PM to a very pleasant 15 mph, the skies were blue and sunny, the temp was 68 degrees and the humidity was a very low 14%.  I had planned on doing 3 miles but felt so good I took the longer way back to the Y and ended up with 4.2 miles done.

Congrats on the 4, Gustav.  Hope your wife's medical test results come out okay.  Good luck with the snow today if it happens!  Kudos to your wife for her donation!

Congrats on your miles, Awood!  Glad P3 likes her new Garmin.  As for that other stuff you mentioned....too technical for me..I still just use my good ole 'chrono' watch and timer beeper, lol.

Wow, your bosses give you your own analyst at the office, Damaris?  Dang, you lawyers really must be under stress!  Wink  Good luck in court and with your recovery miles!

Congrats on getting in to your spinning class, Kristin.  Wow...fighting over bikes, what has the world come to? Cry  Wink  As popular as this class seems to be, you'd think they'd get another instructor and more bikes, so more people could participate.

Congrats on the 7 miles, Bin.  Sorry about the black toenail. You know, in nearly 30 years of running, I have never had a black toenail or a nail fall off.  Guess I just don't run hard enough, lol.

Congrats on the morning run, Vance!  Good luck with the labs, hope you get great numbers!  As for your back...like down, back to the floor, legs extended straight out.  Curl your legs up, knees to chest.   Hold your arms around your knees.  Now gently "rock" back and forth, like a rocking horse/rocking chair does.  Do this for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes.   This little stretch given to me by my PT will do wonders to easy any stiffness in your lower back area.  Oh yeah, baby, since I've had this spinal arthritis, I've learned all kinds of things to do for my back, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Yeah...the women fighting over the bikes were "special" it was entertaining. I just sat back and watched, as I knew I was on "the list" and entitled to my bike. Don't mess with women who want to sweat I guess!!! I agree though they need another weekday morning class. Currently, the 6am Wednesday spin class is the only class my gym offers before 8am, of any type.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.  I'm working from home today.  There's a lot of thinking and writing to be done, and sometimes a change of scenery motivates me more than sitting at my desk.

My daughters gave me a gift certificate to Amazon, and I spent some of it this morning on a pair of compression socks.  After my tougher runs my calves and feet feel like they are always on the edge of cramping.  This despite stretching after my run and before bed.  I'm hoping that wearing comression socks after my run will help.

I got out for 8 miles last night.  The second half was in the dark, but I was okay with my Knuckle light.  If anyone runs in the dark and is on the fence about buying Knuckle lights, I whole-heartedly recommend them.  They are sold in a set of two, but I only use one at a time, so you could split a set with a fellow runner if you wanted to keep the cost down.

5 miles planned for tonight.  It will be on the TM -- we're getting that nasty windy Nor'easter today / tonight.

Future Races:

5/4/14:  Bucks County Ten Miler

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

HOLY SNOW HERE IN WESTERN PA! We got a good 8 inches overnight and were only supposed to get 3-5! It sure is gorgeous though!

and the great thing about Western PA weather, it's going to be near 50 by the weekend. Mother nature is bipolar, I swear!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Kristin, maybe you should look into your local YMCAs.   We have 10 Y's here in the local San Antonio area.  All of them open at 5:30 a.m. on the weekdays, and all of them offer a variety of classes, starting at 6 a.m.  This morning, for example,  Gail had her choice at 6 a.m.  of a Zumba class, a body toning class, a step aerobics class, or an 'abs-and glutes' bike class, all at  the Y that is nearest us.  She did the bike class.   The Y has come a long way from what it used to be in the 'old days' (the days of my youth, lol, MANY years ago).  And the memberships fees are usually really good, lots better than what most gyms charge.

What, Margo, you didn't get a compression sock photo of you taken so you could post it for us?  Wink  Hope they work well for you!   Congrats on your 8 miles last night!  Would knuckle lights fit over gloves? I have to wear gloves when I run cuz of the mild arthritis in my hands. Granted, they are very thin gloves, but don't know if anything would be able to slide over the fingers.

That is a lot of snow, Tori!  Stay safe out there!  I guess my daughter must be dealing with it too, she lives in York, PA.  Don't know what part of the state that is in.  She is definitely not a runner though, she she's probably staying inside.   Yeah, I think Mother Nature is the same way here in Texas.  In the 30s one morning, the next morning our low is in the 50s, sheesh.  80 for a high one day, then 50-something for a high the next, crazy.  Lots of people walking around here coughing and sniffling, with all these back-and-forth weather changes.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

For Zelanie:  Happy Belated Birthday!  Here you go:

http://www.doozycards.com/ecards/birthday/funny-humorous/mariachi-birthday

And you too, Gustav!  Happy belated birthday!   Here you go:

http://www.doozycards.com/ecards/birthday/funny-humorous/Dairy-Farm-Birthday