Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Coming At You Live! (Read 27 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with the 5 miles after work, Gustav

Glad the foot is feeling better, Margo! I'd take it mile by mile though; if it start giving you grief then don't push it.  I remember after a knee surgery, I was very nervous about making a comeback and getting re-injured.  After I was allowed to start running again, my PT told me "Look, here is what you do:  Turn your watch on.  You run as long as the knee is comfortable - which won't be long initially.  As soon as it starts 'nagging' at you, you stop. Check your time.  That is now your total running time for each day you run the first week.  First day of the second week, if you get to that time while running and no knee-nagging, then go a bit farther.  If it does nag you, repeat week one until you can get past that first point with no nagging.  Then you go a bit farther from that first point until it nags again.   And that is your time/distance for your running for your next phase.  And so on and so on each week, until you can finally run with no 'nagging' from the knee.  DON'T push it and relapse.  Behave to the knee, take your time, have patience, and you will get back to where you were pre-surgery."  And so that's what I did, and it worked great.   So, listen to your foot and don't push it and make it worse.   Good luck!

Welcome back, Tomas.  Where the heck you been?  Getting all your students ready for those STAAR exams, huh?

Congrats on the 10 miles, Damaris!

How was the rain run, Bin?

Congratulations, Tori!  And just in time for my annual prostate exam....... Wink

Good luck with the 7, Zelanie, enjoy the time with the club.  Hope the hip behaves!

Have run with the chorus rehearsal, HsM!  What.....makeup?  You don't need no makeup, your loverly just the way you are. 

Good luck with the 5K and the PR, Jack!  Sorry about the lack of a Bin Headband.  What the heck IS a bin headband anyway?  Got a photo?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Sloooow.

Tori- Congratulations!

Quick post before I hit the shower, 2 miles for me this morning. Leg actually feels better when I'm running, still pretty sore while walking though. Weird.

Bin Running

Scotty, running in rain is not too bad cos it's only a drizzle.

Said bin headband is on my RR. On phone so unable to paste photo.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

scotty: I hope this worked. I have never done pictures on the phone. This is a Bin Headband!!! Smile

GinnyinPA

Scotty - thanks for putting up the RR.  Glad you got so much rain.  It's due here tomorrow.  I'm hoping it will be gone before my race Saturday.

Gustav - enjoy your 5.

Phillie - careful with your 6-7.  Slow and easy and stop if it hurts at all.  You're too close to your HM to blow it now.

Damaris - hope you get a lot of work done without the interruptions and drama you get at the office.  Hope your double goes well.

Tomas - recovery day?  What's your next goal?  Glad to see you back.

Bin - I have yet to run in the rain.  I know I need the practice, but I always seem to wimp out, especially in the cold.

Tori - congratulations!   It's warmer here too, but still windy.

Zelanie - does your running club just do speed sessions, or will you be doing an easy run today?  Glad the hip feels better.

HopesMom - what song are you doing as a newspaper editor?  Have fun.

Jack - enjoy your run today.  Your hat sounds a lot like mine.  I need a new one.

Coralie - I'm glad you're doing better. Hope the pain goes away completely soon.

AFM:   Since I'm doing the race this weekend, my mileage is short this week, so I guess it's time to add a 5th day.  I'll do 3 on the TM this afternoon.

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

4 miler complete!!! Big grin I feel great right now! WOOT!

It was a great day! 44 degrees when we finished!!! and the sun was out! doesn't get much better than that!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

500 miles fast miles this morning. Cold and rainy. Hope its nicer on Sunday.

SheCan

Morning Penguin peoples!

Scotty, loved your report.  That race sounded really fun.  Also, my DH asked me the other day if I wanted to come to San Antonio with him in a couple of weeks.  Unfortunately I didn't really want to splurge on the airline ticket at this time (and they're got really expensive lately!)  Next time hopefully, I'll be able to come ;-)

Tori woooohooooooo@ being done with nursing school! No wonder the sun came out for you.  Ouch @ your shoulder being out of socket. Glad you got it figured out.

HopesMom--- Yes, yes yes- I do wish I sang barbershop!   Your life with all the performances sounds so fun.   Unfortunately, I'm one of the small percentage of people who is really and truly tone deaf.  Its sad that I can't even clap my hands to a beat.

Jack--- dang your 5k PR is fast!  I thought you were old like me!  No wonder your kids are such athletes, they get it from you.  Love your new profile pic.

CoralieT--- great job getting out there and running.  Weird about the walking pain though.  I sure like hearing about how well you're doing.

Ginny--- HI and good luck this weekend!

I did  a little over 7 miles today.   Was a beautiful day in Arizona!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

She Can: I am old but I am hoping the headband will make me feel younger! Wink

hog4life

Jack, ugly, old, salt stained head band(ball cap for me), adds character.

Hi everyone, 5 miles easy for me with a couple strides. Had to come into to work early for a "big meeting". Now what?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning Penguin peoples!

Scotty, loved your report.  That race sounded really fun.  Also, my DH asked me the other day if I wanted to come to San Antonio with him in a couple of weeks.  Unfortunately I didn't really want to splurge on the airline ticket at this time (and they're got really expensive lately!)  Next time hopefully, I'll be able to come ;-)

Tori woooohooooooo@ being done with nursing school! No wonder the sun came out for you.  Ouch @ your shoulder being out of socket. Glad you got it figured out.

HopesMom--- Yes, yes yes- I do wish I sang barbershop!   Your life with all the performances sounds so fun.   Unfortunately, I'm one of the small percentage of people who is really and truly tone deaf.  Its sad that I can't even clap my hands to a beat.

Jack--- dang your 5k PR is fast!  I thought you were old like me!  No wonder your kids are such athletes, they get it from you.  Love your new profile pic.

CoralieT--- great job getting out there and running.  Weird about the walking pain though.  I sure like hearing about how well you're doing.

Ginny--- HI and good luck this weekend!

I did  a little over 7 miles today.   Was a beautiful day in Arizona!

She can, if it's in a couple of weeks, you really should come!  That will be right around Fiesta San Antonio! time - http://www.fiesta-sa.org/ - and the whole city turns into one big 10-day party! There are also a couple of good races during Fiesta!  Especially the Fandango, which is only a 2.6 mile run, but lots of run, as you run along the parade route of the Fiesta Flambeau parade, the biggest night-time parade in the US.  That one is the evening of April 27th.  THOUSANDS of spectators cheering you along!

Think about it some more; you and your hubby would have a blast!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Mmmmm...beer

Hello colony!

Having serious internet withdrawals out here in the country. lol

Today is my one year runniversary, woohoo!  Can't believe it's been a year already, time flies when you're having fun. Smile

Hope everyone is doing well and having great runs, I'd do personals, but typing this much on the iPad is already a pain. lol

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

SheCan

She can, if it's in a couple of weeks, you really should come!  That will be right around Fiesta San Antonio! time - http://www.fiesta-sa.org/ - and the whole city turns into one big 10-day party! There are also a couple of good races during Fiesta!  Especially the Fandango, which is only a 2.6 mile run, but lots of run, as you run along the parade route of the Fiesta Flambeau parade, the biggest night-time parade in the US.  That one is the evening of April 27th.  THOUSANDS of spectators cheering you along!

Think about it some more; you and your hubby would have a blast!

Omgosh, Scotty, I shoulda asked you first!  That's when it would have been.  It is 22-25 and come home April 26, and then I have a race on the 27th around here.  I checked your link, and it looks like even during the week there would have been tons going on.  I figured there wouldn't be much going on at that time.  Plus we coulda met you and Gail!  Which for me woulda been the highlight of the trip.  Well, I might talk to him tonight, but I think he's already bought tickets and made all the plans.

Jack---  Well you're a speedy old guy anyway.  You'll have to take pics of you in the new headband.   Talking about your 'icky stained hat, I painted a pic of my dirty visor and shoes that I wear on my trail runs.  I don't think the pic captures quite how filthy it really is. Maybe I need a new headband myself.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

She can: WOW!!! That is really great, awesome, cool, etc... I might commission you to paint me in my headband! Smile

SheCan

She can: WOW!!! That is really great, awesome, cool, etc... I might commission you to paint me in my headband! Smile

Ahhh, thanks, Jack!  And one way or the other, you're going to have to posts pics about this much anticipated headband!

Cherie