Beginners and Beyond

Penguin Pancake Weekend (Read 14 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

National Pancake Day!

PADRunner

Morning! Pancakes will have to wait.

Schedule was fro a 15 mile LR today and 8 MP tomorrow. Now a HM today probably get 15 total with warm up. But what to do tomorrow?

Brilliant

PAD, are you giving the HM a race effort?  I'd definitely change tomorrow to an easy 8 miles (if I thought I could run 8, haha...more likely an easy 5).

12 at the beach for me this morning!  It meant a 30-minute earlier alarm to drive down there, but it will be worth it.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 10 tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Morning! Pancakes will have to wait.

Schedule was fro a 15 mile LR today and 8 MP tomorrow. Now a HM today probably get 15 total with warm up. But what to do tomorrow?

I would concentrate on the MP run rather than a HM if you are training for a full.  Run the 15 with the HM at easy pace and then the MP run tomorrow.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

14 Run/Walk for us.  Not race effort, but got it done.

Brilliant

Damaris, have a good 10.

Jerry, nice job!

12.4 done.  The beach was fun - lots of other runners and walkers and dogs and strollers and surfers.  And the weather was perfect; it was about 70 degrees but stayed overcast the whole time so we didn't heat up.  The sun didn't come out until we were driving home. 

With this run I'm at my highest mileage month ever, and the month's not over!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the PR month, Bri.

PADRunner

PAD, are you giving the HM a race effort?  I'd definitely change tomorrow to an easy 8 miles (if I thought I could run 8, haha...more likely an easy 5).

12 at the beach for me this morning!  It meant a 30-minute earlier alarm to drive down there, but it will be worth it.

Well it was race effort and the way I'm feeling now I may not be able to get out of bed in the morning.

PADRunner

I would concentrate on the MP run rather than a HM if you are training for a full.  Run the 15 with the HM at easy pace and then the MP run tomorrow.

Should have read that before the race. I'm training for Dallas 12/14. I've got another HM on 10/18 in the plan I want to race it. Todays was just spur of the moment to see where I was.

Brilliant

Todays was just spur of the moment to see where I was.

Cool, and I see on your log you got a PR!

Well, if you can get out of bed tomorrow, go for 5-8 easy. 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

7 today, on the TM because it was insanely windy outside.  I was getting blown around just walking my dog.

Tomorrow something long - 15 or 16 perhaps?  I'm not sure how long to go because I'm running a half next weekend and doing 20 the following.  I did 18.6 last weekend and that really beat me up.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Congrats, PAD!

Good luck, Bacon!

sapf- Maybe this is the weekend to skip the LR and recover a bit?

Nice run, Jerry!

Enjoy the miles, D!

I ran 9 sluggish and sore miles.  I felt this way last weekend the day after I ran my strides, so that could be it.  I had a good audiobook to listen to at least.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

sapf- Maybe this is the weekend to skip the LR and recover a bit?

Yeah perhaps.  But I'm only 13.5 miles from a beer week.  I'm beat up in the sense that I'm really tired but my legs generally feel okay.  I'll see how I feel in the morning and decide.  I'll probably head to central park because there are many variations of distance that I can do and there are always lots of runners there for motivation.  I feel like I only have 3 more real long runs before taper time and I should just tough it out.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Cool, and I see on your log you got a PR!

Well, if you can get out of bed tomorrow, go for 5-8 easy. 

Yea it was about a 4m PR still waiting for the official time. I got 1st in AG by default, the first got 1st masters. It was a very small field.