Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 45 Texas Too Hot 5K and 15K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Below is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%20Number%2045%20Texas%20Too%20Hot%205K%2015K

Full report below.    

BEFORE THE START

My 45th race of 2019 was  tjeTexas Too Hot 5K held on July 14 at Boerne Lake Park in Boerne, Texas. This event is put on by iRun Texas a really great local running, training, and race management company, which is actually my favorite running store in the San Antonio area for getting my running shoes, GU, and running insoles.   There was also a 15K and a Kids 1K.  Race start time of 7:30 a.m, so up early to make the 40-minute or so drive to the park, but got delayed a bit as there was a pretty bad accident on the highway to Boerne, so had to make a loop around that.  Finally got to the park with about  35 minutes or so to start time, so was glad I had previously picked up my race packet.   Chatted with friends and wandered around a bit getting a few photos before the start.

Start line

photo IMG_0914_zpshlgywhzj.jpg

iRun crew prepping for the race

photo IMG_0915_zpsetyxw2rn.jpg

Our race MC, Mark

photo IMG_0916_zpswrlfxhzv.jpg

Various Participants

photo IMG_0913_zpsn5ymkfz4.jpg

photo IMG_0917_zps136hae84.jpg

photo IMG_0918_zpsvkoqjqfu.jpg

photo IMG_0919_zpsafw7n8pj.jpg

photo IMG_0920_zpsgsvaapzv.jpg

photo IMG_0921_zps4xpfdrcy.jpg

photo IMG_0922_zpsy6d9wkmz.jpg

photo IMG_0923_zpshefcockq.jpg

photo IMG_0924_zpsywkt1g4u.jpg

photo IMG_0925_zpsqndukrcz.jpg

photo IMG_0926_zpsombqjmad.jpg

photo IMG_0927_zpsntqsqviy.jpg

photo IMG_0928_zpsee3kpyw3.jpg

In the start crowd

photo IMG_0929_zpspalvxvmd.jpg

photo IMG_0930_zpsa2shpjfw.jpg

photo IMG_0931_zps6gorgznv.jpg

photo IMG_0933_zpstor3bpsm.jpg

photo IMG_0934_zps8q7gddq8.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The course is a mix of trail and paved roads, with the trail being fairly rocky along some parts.  Start is from one of the paved park roads, then a climb up a short but fairly steep hill. Once atop the hill we had a flat-and-rocky trail section that gave participants some nice views of Boerne Lake.  Down another hill, fairly steep, but short, that took us along short flat part of the trail, leading to some paved road. The paved road took the 5K folks to their turn-round point – for which we had to go up an incline – and then went back the way we had come out.  The 15K participants continued straight ahead on this road to get to their turn-round point.  The 15K, per what participants later told me, is REALLY hilly with some quite steep climbs.  Tough course.   Of course, the short steep uphill near the start was now a downhill for everyone on the way to the finish, and it was a bit rocky too, so kind of hard to pick up some speed until you hit the park road pavement again for the last  .1 that went to the finish line.  I ended up with a pretty slow 36:56 chip time, for 2nd in my 65 – 69 age group.  There were only 2 in my age group and the first guy did 32-something.  The young man who was first overall – 20 years old – did it in 17:56, averaging 5-something minute miles, zowie!

photo IMG_0935_zpscvonkeel.jpg

photo IMG_0936_zpsngjt70wn.jpg

photo IMG_0937_zpsg5svekzx.jpg

photo IMG_0938_zpskgu2t5c3.jpg

photo IMG_0939_zpsu8eky3cl.jpg

photo IMG_0940_zpsn8icixiz.jpg

photo IMG_0941_zpsh4hz2hke.jpg

photo IMG_0942_zpsesrstii9.jpg

photo IMG_0943_zpsl9rlihm8.jpg

photo IMG_0944_zps6a5fnby4.jpg

photo IMG_0945_zps6y5acv6h.jpg

photo IMG_0946_zpsmiigeil1.jpg

Silhouetted runners on the small steep hill we climbed on the way back to the finish.  This was downhill on the way out

photo IMG_0948_zpsxxsdwzgk.jpg

Lightened the photo up to see some of the hill we climbed

photo IMG_0947_zpsfmrss4k4.jpg

Looking behind me from the hill. After this photo I went nonstop to the finish.

photo IMG_0949_zpsd5bbn1yi.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

This event is certainly named correctly, it was pretty warm, even with a 7:30 a.m. start.  Nice touch at the finish line handing out iced-down small towels to each person after he/she crossed the finish line.   Put that on my neck, got some water, did a cool-down walk, then found where some food was and just sat in the shade for a while, sipping water and eating a banana.   There was also Shiner Beer, but unfortunately due to the idiotic Texas Blue Laws, beer can’t be served on Sunday until 10 a.m.  So the beer sat there, icing down, until that time.  I was thinking, ‘well, it’s there, what if you just took one….that would not be violating the law because it was not SERVED to you, right?”   😉  But I behaved myself, did not want to get anyone in trouble so waiting until the 10 a.m. allowed time to finally enjoy a post-race cold one.   Until then, after my cool-down, chatted with friends, enjoyed views of the lake, played with some dogs that were there, and got some after-photos, including the awards being handed out for each race.   There was also this automatic computer photo thingy where you stepped on a pedal on the ground, waited a minute and then the puter took a photo of you.  I turned with my back to it – my friends calling out to face the thing, but I waved them off – and stepped on the pedal, and got a nice photo of me from behind.  “See?” I told my friends,  “I just got my best side.”  😉 

Relaxing a bit, post-race

photo IMG_0951_zpsydkqcpsg.jpg

Sat by the lake for a bit, too.  Nice views.  These houses across the lake...part of that area was where the 15K folks had to climb up to for their route

photo IMG_0959_zpsetbvyboa.jpg

photo IMG_0960_zpsaocdneo0.jpg

photo IMG_0961_zpsu3zjmayt.jpg

Various finishers and supporters, volunteers, sponsors, etc

photo IMG_0950_zpsc6gehyqq.jpg

photo IMG_0952_zpstfz0hixd.jpg

photo IMG_0953_zpswwe4o7tu.jpg

photo IMG_0954_zpsk4ts9wxx.jpg

photo IMG_0955_zpscqt240mr.jpg

photo IMG_0957_zpsmt9pmffz.jpg

photo IMG_0958_zpsvcoxfc9d.jpg

This one a bit blurry, sorry.  I blame these guys...even standing still they are speedy, lol.  These guys were very speedy on the course.

photo IMG_0962_zpsjktxlr6l.jpg

photo IMG_0963_zpseimqcqqw.jpg

photo IMG_0964_zpsm6fnmigc.jpg

photo IMG_0965_zpsyecgl0ky.jpg

photo IMG_0972_zpsu7ga4jvw.jpg

photo IMG_0966_zpsxlmksa7p.jpg

photo IMG_0985_zpslgiqcpfn.jpg

Me and Bernadette here with Race Director Mitch

photo IMG_0956_zpspd0dueeo.jpg

Some of the age group award winners

photo IMG_0967_zpsjztb96e0.jpg

photo IMG_0968_zpslkost5ur.jpg

photo IMG_0969_zpszxsewk6u.jpg

photo IMG_0970_zpsnpisraoi.jpg

photo IMG_0975_zpshmklcsew.jpg

photo IMG_0977_zps3yau5ahg.jpg

photo IMG_0978_zpssmcmpj91.jpg

photo IMG_0979_zpss0dqljza.jpg

photo IMG_0980_zpsi1ti1llw.jpg

I think my fellow age-group guy thought I might fall down, lol.  He may be right...I don't like "heights"  

photo IMG_0981_zpscapyrkub.jpg

photo IMG_0982_zpstlwgle5c.jpg

These ladies did the 15K

photo IMG_0988_zpsbq8hziok.jpg

photo IMG_0990_zpsvhjwb32h.jpg

Overall male winner, 17-something.  Probably has to wear fireproof underwear..

photo IMG_0971_zpsz5i5rqpc.jpg

Shiner Beer time!

photo IMG_0984_zpsa5zezmix.jpg

photo IMG_0989_zpscefrna2z.jpg

Race singlet...this is a women's large I got and gave to my wife, since my men's large did not fit me so well.   The age-group medal  age group placers is at the bottom of the shirt.

photo IMG_0991_zpsckzkja7d.jpg

Back of the shirt - thank you sponsors and iRun! 

photo IMG_0993_zps34crkhbl.jpg

EPILOGUE

Very nice quality event put on by iRun co-owner Mitch Allen and his iRun crew. Course is challenging – especially for the 15K folks – but also a really nice one with, as noted previously, some nice views of the lake.  Post-race the lake can also be enjoyed for a cool-down swim and several people brought things to make a day of it after the race, grilling food, picnicking, swimming, etc.  It’s a bit of a drive from where I live, but a pretty nice park to visit and relax in. This event is also dog-friendly – and some of those dogs with their human runners are pretty darn speedy too, left me eating their dust. Iced-down bottles of water immediately right there in bins right after you cross the finish line, so you don’t have to go looking for water when you finish. I wish every race director would get a clue about this and all do it for their events; it’s nice not to have to go looking for the water after you finish, when you are hot and tired.

For the goodie bags, a cap and a nice quality race singlet – although the shirt tended to run a bit small from what the tag size on the shirt listed - but that’s on the shirt company, not iRun, they need to label more accurately – and several of us had to go up a size or two from what we initially requested so the shirt would fit properly. There was also a raffle for prizes – none of which I won, darn the luck – including several gift certificates for free New Balance running shoes from iRun, nice – and pretty nice-and-colorful award medals.  All-in-all, this is a quality event and one I have done for several years and will continue to do in years ahead and I certainly would recommend it to others.

Mucho thanks to all people who made this one happen for the participants: iRun staff, all the volunteers and sponsors – including the massage folks that were out there, Promotion Physical Therapy, which I bet several of the 15K folks appreciated after their tough course – and anyone else I may not have mentioned here. Thanks for all you folks do so we participants can have this event!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt