Beginners and Beyond

The first WednDAILIES of the rest of your life (Read 48 times)

happylily

Give it to me. What do you got, beautiful people?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

After I pick my jaw up off the floor, sure! 

happylily

Came home last night. Picked up the car at the airport parking lot. Thank God for ass-warmer seats, it was freakin' cold.

I will, I will, I WILL run tonight. (I think... ) I'll let you know later how it went. For now, I start work in 30 minutes. It's an ignominy that they make people my age work.

happylily

After I pick my jaw up off the floor, sure! 

LOL... Morning sweetie!

LRB

LOL... Morning sweetie!

Hi!

I am taking a rest day as a precaution, but will of course eat like I ran.

happylily

Hi!

I am taking a rest day as a precaution, but will of course eat like I ran.

That is very wise. I approve.

delicate flower

Happy Wednesday, internet friends!  Well I ran for an hour last night.  I really didn't feel like running.  I was tired and grumpy and didn't feel like it.  But I ran anyway, because the schedule said I had to.  60 minutes, 7.25 miles, 8:15 pace.  Today calls for an easy 45 minute run, and I will be going out of my way to find a flat route.  I've had enough hills for one week.

I feel a hell of a lot better today than I did yesterday.  8 solid of hours of sleep will do that, I suppose.

<3

happylily

Happy Wednesday, internet friends!  Well I ran for an hour last night.  I really didn't feel like running.  I was tired and grumpy and didn't feel like it.  But I ran anyway, because the schedule said I had to.  60 minutes, 7.25 miles, 8:15 pace.  Today calls for an easy 45 minute run, and I will be going out of my way to find a flat route.  I've had enough hills for one week.

I feel a hell of a lot better today than I did yesterday.  8 solid of hours of sleep will do that, I suppose.

Just realized that I spelled Wednesday "Weds". What a weird word anyway...

Phil, I meant to ask you, what average MPW is your coach intending for you? Also, maybe I missed something about it, but you seem to be running by time rather than by distance. Just like Cyber. Any reason for that?

delicate flower

Phil, I meant to ask you, what average MPW is your coach intending for you? Also, maybe I missed something about it, but you seem to be running by time rather than by distance. Just like Cyber. Any reason for that?

So far my coach has me in the mid-40's.  He'll get me back up into the 60's but he's building me into it rather than jumping right in.  He's got me doing tempo intervals that I have not done before and he makes them longer each week.  I already feel stronger and faster and am pretty sure I'm in HM PR shape, but I also haven't run long yet.  He just trains by time rather than distance....just his way of training.  It's been an adjustment for me but am growing to like it.

<3

happylily

So far my coach has me in the mid-40's.  He'll get me back up into the 60's but he's building me into it rather than jumping right in.  He's got me doing tempo intervals that I have not done before and he makes them longer each week.  I already feel stronger and faster and am pretty sure I'm in HM PR shape, but I also haven't run long yet.  He just trains by time rather than distance....just his way of training.  It's been an adjustment for me but am growing to like it.

McMillan does it by time as well (at least the plan I had purchased from him). And the tempo intervals remind me of the Hansons. I liked those. By the Hansons kept the intervals at no longer than 2 miles (if I remember well), which I did not like. Sounds like you're doing great so far.

delicate flower

McMillan does it by time as well (at least the plan I had purchased from him). And the tempo intervals remind me of the Hansons. I liked those. By the Hansons kept the intervals at no longer than 2 miles (if I remember well), which I did not like. Sounds like you're doing great so far.

Right now my intervals are five minutes hard with three minute recoveries, six times.  Eventually I'll be doing those tempo intervals a lot longer, but right now I'd be unable to run a 20 minute interval at that effort unless I was racing.  I've been doing the intervals around 10K pace (6:50ish).  I have done very little work at that effort in my previous cycles so it'll be cool to see what that does for me.

<3

happylily

Right now my intervals are five minutes hard with three minute recoveries, six times.  Eventually I'll be doing those tempo intervals a lot longer, but right now I'd be unable to run a 20 minute interval at that effort unless I was racing.  I've been doing the intervals around 10K pace (6:50ish).  I have done very little work at that effort in my previous cycles so it'll be cool to see what that does for me.

Your tempo intervals are MUCH faster than mine. By tempo, I always think 15k or HM pace... But not every coach has the same definition of tempo. I have never done speedwork at 10k pace. I think I'll try that this season, instead of 5k pace.

delicate flower

Your tempo intervals are MUCH faster than mine. By tempo, I always think 15k or HM pace... But not every coach has the same definition of tempo. I have never done speedwork at 10k pace. I think I'll try that this season, instead of 5k pace.

Well my coach does not give me any paces to run, ever.  Everything is by feel.  He says to run the intervals at a hard effort but not race effort.  I shouldn't struggle to finish the interval, I shouldn't need to stop and catch my breath after, and after a three minute recovery I should be ready for another interval.  I just so happens my intervals are coming in at 10K pace.  Based on how I feel after those runs (pretty tired, but not race tired), coach says I am running them correctly.

I'm anxious to race a 10K.  If I can do 30 minutes of intervals at my current 10K PR pace without struggling, I'm thinking that is no longer my 10K PR pace.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 miles tonight.  I am sore from the stupid weights.  Yay.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Well my coach does not give me any paces to run, ever.  Everything is by feel.  He says to run the intervals at a hard effort but not race effort.  I shouldn't struggle to finish the interval, I shouldn't need to stop and catch my breath after, and after a three minute recovery I should be ready for another interval.  I just so happens my intervals are coming in at 10K pace.  Based on how I feel after those runs (pretty tired, but not race tired), coach says I am running them correctly.

I'm anxious to race a 10K.  If I can do 30 minutes of intervals at my current 10K PR pace without struggling, I'm thinking that is no longer my 10K PR pace.

That would be really, really hard for me. I need someone to tell me what paces to use. As it is, I don't really know what my race paces are. I have been trying to do (shorter) intervals at 5k pace, but just taking a guess, since I've only ever run one 5k & there's been a lot of training since then.

SRD.

Dave