Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES (Read 23 times)

LRB

I was getting dressed to run this morning then heard some wicked winds and had a second thought. Good thing too because the sky opened up shortly thereafter and it rained sheets!

I did 6 sets of pushups instead, cracking 27 during one set for the first time since I started tracking this ridiculousness.

Docket_Rocket

We have those winds this afternoon but they are bringing 10F cooler than what we had!

RD for me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Hey-oh!  Happy Monday!  Today's run will be dictated by the weather.  We've got storms so I need to try to fit a run in during a break.  If I don't run, that's fine too.  I got a 2500 yard swim done early with a very sore and tired upper body.

I've been trying to find a race in the next few weeks but it's proving to be difficult to find one that fits into my schedule.  I can move workouts around, but I can't move life stuff around. 

<3

Cyberic

RD

Cyberic

I did 6 sets of pushups instead, cracking 27 during one set for the first time since I started tracking this ridiculousness.

I could do similar numbers in my 20s, but holy crap am I incredibly far from that now. I could probably do one set of 20. And then for a couple of days my upper middle back (like the upper back spine or something) would be sore, and it's not muscle sore, but some kind of soreness I don't like. So I don't even try pushups now. 

On the 20th, my daughter and my son have a pushups challenge written on the calendar (my daughter might be able to do 1, but for some reason one month ago her and her mom thought that if she trained for one month, she could beat her brother... after3-4 days of failing at doing one single pushup, she just stopped trying). Point being, I might (probably not) go for max reps against my son.

delicate flower

I've been doing these with the TRX straps.  They are probably a little easier than regular pushups, but they feel like they work a lot of secondary muscles.  I did 250 of them last time, in sets of 15-20 at at time (took me 20 minutes total to get through them).

<3

6 muggy, drizzly, sluggish miles. Zero pushups. Hit 1500 miles for the year.

Dave

sdWhiskers

my daughter might be able to do 1, but for some reason one month ago her and her mom thought that if she trained for one month, she could beat her brother... after3-4 days of failing at doing one single pushup, she just stopped trying). 

I never used to be able to do a single pushup from my toes, but only my knees. Then I worked on it a few years ago and can do 10-15 in one set. It helps to either use the TRX that Baboon showed (closer to horizontal, the harder) or put your hands on a step and work on that for awhile to get used to the motion.

sdWhiskers

3 easy miles. Nothing but blue skies here.

30mins of pool mix

LRB

I could do similar numbers in my 20s, but holy crap am I incredibly far from that now. I could probably do one set of 20. And then for a couple of days my upper middle back (like the upper back spine or something) would be sore, and it's not muscle sore, but some kind of soreness I don't like. So I don't even try pushups now. 

On the 20th, my daughter and my son have a pushups challenge written on the calendar (my daughter might be able to do 1, but for some reason one month ago her and her mom thought that if she trained for one month, she could beat her brother... after3-4 days of failing at doing one single pushup, she just stopped trying). Point being, I might (probably not) go for max reps against my son.

The DOMS is real, even more so the older you get. I won't be able to lift my arms tomorrow. lol

LRB

I've been doing these with the TRX straps.  They are probably a little easier than regular pushups, but they feel like they work a lot of secondary muscles.  I did 250 of them last time, in sets of 15-20 at at time (took me 20 minutes total to get through them).

Yes, the core gets a lot of work keeping the torso stable with this variation.

KCRuns

Good morning!

I swam laps this morning, only had time for 1200m.  I was sluggish getting up this morning.  I'm going to have to start going to bed earlier if I want to get up early enough to swim a mile.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

3 crappy miles. Hammies were very tight and everything was sore. You might think that's because I overdid the running this weekend? Nooooo. It was from sitting too much!

I started Saurday early with some rowing and biking (planned NRD), met my brother for breakfast at 7am, where I told him how much better my running had been going (jinx city!) which meant 2+ hours of sitting with drive time. Headed to the Detroit Grand Prix and sat, for the most part, from about Noon to 8:30pm, plus drive time to and from, including a pizza pick-up and drop off detour for MIL on the way home. Sunday morning I managed a very sluggish 7 miles at a 9 minute pace when I was thinking I should be 8:30 pace; rough but not horrible. This morning was a total mess. My hammies/butt were tight/sore, just not willing to stretch out at all. The first few "strides" were barely more than some weird hop/walk thing. First mile was over 10:00 and the other two didn't crack 9:30. I rode the bike when I got back just to try and loosen up (with plenty of standing on the pedals). I guess this reminds me how fragile I am!  Anyway, I'm really hoping this clears up!

No pushups this morning for me but did did some pull-ups and chair dips since I had a less run time than planned.

Scotty - sorry about the diagnosis. Hopefully it's early as that's usually pretty treatable?

Congrats to he 1,000+ milers...hoping to join you in a few months!

sdWhiskers

It's 10am and I just finished eating the lunch I brought. Uh oh