Beginners and Beyond

SunDAILIES heading to the beach! (Read 35 times)

LRB

..I plan on getting out there in a while to run easy with some miles at my new marathon pace mixed in there.  I have not quite decided how many yet though...maybe one

Yep, that is exactly how many I did!  lol

Laziness Prudence won out as my legs were still a bit tight from Friday's race so I decided not to push things unnecessarily.

Although I would have liked to continue running at MP, there is nothing left for me to prove at this point in the year so I ran just enough to meet my mileage quota for the miles game then brought my raggedy ass home, where it is time to give my busted and broken body a break.

Incredibly, my spring/summer racing season is over and eight months of training with a shit load of speed work and 10 events is in the books.

After four or five days off from running this week I will move into the next phase of training which includes a 5k July 26, a 10k August 30, a half marathon September 14 and hopefully the big boy in October.  In between there will be enough tempo and marathon paced miles to gag a fuckin maggot.

But if I am somehow able to make it into that starting corral the morning of the 19th, the sky is the fuckin limit...

But first things first, rest and lots of it.  I earned it!  

LRB

Kinda hurt my Achilles yesterday trying to stretch it . Gotta take it easy on the stretches. Not try to do it all at once, but let time do its thing. I was wondering if it would affect my running this morning as it was uncomfortable just standing in the house. But it was OK. I stand in the house barefoot but I run with 12mm heel drop shoes (still). While the shoes might be a part of why my Achilles needs to be stretched now, they saved the day this morning.

In my experience achilles and calf tightness starts with the hamstrings.  Meaning as the hamstrings shorten from running a shit load of miles like we do, they pull the calf muscles which pull on the achilles.

Getting everything loose is a process that takes weeks if not months, so there should really be no rush to do anything drastic.

Flexibility and stretching is a lifestyle change more than anything, not a singular act that must be done right this very moment.  So as long as you are prudent in light stretching, progress is being made.  Even if you cannot feel it yet.

What type of stretch were you doing that you think caused the aggravation?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Was up and at it this morning at 3:40 AM, got 13.2 miles in by 6 AM. Temperature wasn't bad, 65 degrees and humidity at 88% and dewpoint somewhere in the 60's... not real sure but I know that once the temp goes above 65, you begin to feel the heaviness in the air. I think I might have to go back to not running Saturdays... and run recovery mileage on Monday, I think ran yesterday's run a bit too fast.... and my legs were still sore this morning. I'll just wait and see.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

What type of stretch were you doing that you think caused the aggravation?

I was standing in front of a wall, a few inches away from it. I had a belt in my hand that was going under both my big toes. I leaned forward so the wall was holding my weight (shoulders on the wall), keeping the heels on the ground, and pulling on the belt (maybe too much) to lift the big toes. Held that for ~3:30 minutes. But I could feel I was overdoing it.

Cyberic

It might be nothing, but I'm a little cautious about my Achilles.

My only run-stopping injury occured when I tried barefoot running. I was already a forefoot striker. I warmed up for about three miles with my shoes on. Was on a rubberized track. Then took the shoes off and ran with just my socks on. I remember thinking how smart and cautious I was, that I was easing into it, and so on. After maybe 500 meters, I could feel my Achilles were really stretching and it was uncomfortable, but I kept going. Maybe 100-200 meters after that I stopped running, but they were hurt. The next few days I was still running, but limping, so I had to stop for 6 days. Then when I started back, it was 1 mile the first day. 1 and a half the day after, and so on. I had a hard time walking and running for months.

After that, I decided that 12mm heel drop shoes were just fine Big grin

Docket_Rocket

I was standing in front of a wall, a few inches away from it. I had a belt in my hand that was going under both my big toes. I leaned forward so the wall was holding my weight (shoulders on the wall), keeping the heels on the ground, and pulling on the belt (maybe too much) to lift the big toes. Held that for ~3:30 minutes. But I could feel I was overdoing it.

Maybe you overstretch?  I have heard that can cause injuries in and of itself.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

5.8 done at the park since the gym was still closed.  But that meant that I could buy a pipa (coconut with a straw) to drink before running home!

Cyberic

5.8 done at the park since the gym was still closed.  But that meant that I could buy a pipa (coconut with a straw) to drink before running home!

Smile

Cyberic

Maybe you overstretch?  I have heard that can cause injuries in and of itself.

Probably. I did the same stretch a few minutes ago and it was ok this time. Could feel the stretch, but when I released after 4 minutes, I was feeling good.

My problem is that I'm self-taught, and like it that way. I've never seen a PT or similar in my life. I read, and fix myself up from trial and error. Of course I make mistakes because I often have read what to do, but not how to do it.

Docket_Rocket

It might be nothing, but I'm a little cautious about my Achilles.

My only run-stopping injury occured when I tried barefoot running. I was already a forefoot striker. I warmed up for about three miles with my shoes on. Was on a rubberized track. Then took the shoes off and ran with just my socks on. I remember thinking how smart and cautious I was, that I was easing into it, and so on. After maybe 500 meters, I could feel my Achilles were really stretching and it was uncomfortable, but I kept going. Maybe 100-200 meters after that I stopped running, but they were hurt. The next few days I was still running, but limping, so I had to stop for 6 days. Then when I started back, it was 1 mile the first day. 1 and a half the day after, and so on. I had a hard time walking and running for months.

After that, I decided that 12mm heel drop shoes were just fine Big grin

Every time I run in lower drop shoes for an extended period of time, I have to go back to the Mizunos (higher drop) until all the soreness goes away.  I feel the same way. 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I might go buy a case of those for marathon training, just to have one or two a week.  The international shops are everywhere here.

LRB

Every time I run in lower drop shoes for an extended period of time, I have to go back to the Mizunos (higher drop) until all the soreness goes away.  I feel the same way. 

For me it's not the drop necessarily but the height of the heel that throws my boogie off.

I run much better in shoes that are 28 mm or shorter in the heel.  I do not seem to be as affected by the drop, but admittedly I do not pay much attention to that.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

11.2 miles for me today.

Marjorie

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

RD for me unless I get a crazy itch to run in 81 degree heat.

- Andrew

Yoga this morning. Went for a long stretch without doing any (no pun intended), and this was my 2nd time this week. More free time from not running so much! Sticking with running 2 of every 3 days for now, to be careful with my knee. I'm sure I will get antsy at some point & want to add another day, probably sooner rather than later. Never know until you try.

Dave