Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins -Your Body Has To Last You A Lifetime! (Read 41 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Hopes mom - wowza, when it rains it pours. Hope your knee is getting better.

I finally did some myrtl exercises on Sunday. This is a cutback week for me so I ran 3 "hardish" miles to get a feel for my pace for my 5 k on Sunday.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Mmmmm...beer

Morning penguins!

Gustav, thanks for starting us off, and good luck with your 5k!

HM, hope your knee feels better!

Jimmy, nice job on the workouts!

Zel, glad you had a good run. Smile

I've got some easy taper miles on tap later this evening after the little league meeting.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - I didn't even realize that you had a 5K coming up.  I'm looking forward to that RR.

AFM - I'm just going a little stir crazy.  I got a taste of good weather Sunday, and now I want nice weather every day.  I want to spend more time outdoors, running, windows down in the car, washing the car, cutting the grass, etc.  I'm really ready to start running in the mornings again.

I started mapping out training for after my upcoming HM in more detail yesterday...LOL  I'm going to run a 10K 3 weeks after this HM because I can literally jog to it as a warm up, but training for my November marathon begins in May.  So, any races along the way after that will just have to work into that...lol

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Enjoy those taper miles Dave!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Morning guys!

9M with 5x800 @ 7:45 done. Just read about a nearby greenery trails. Will try to check it out tmr or thurs.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Morning everyone!  I'm tucked in, at work.  Yesterday flew by - how today is more of the same.  Work up at 0330 this morning and was wide awake.  My first thought was "why am I awake."  My second thought was, "I should get up and run."  That was quickly followed up with "no".  I tossed/turned for probably close to an hour - I should have gotten up. LOL

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

2 miles in the rain.

Garmin was doing wonky things. It couldn't seem to measure my pace. Every second it would change to some crazy number. one second it would say 13:34 and the next 3:03 and the next 18:45, then 4:10 and so on. Not sure the distance was accurate either. Any ideas?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

hog4life

Awood, you can come down anytime you like to cut my grass, I hate yard work.

Gustav, good luck on your race. I need to run a short race soon to see how I do. I'm registered for a 5k on March 30th, but don't know if I can make it now.

Bin, good pace on the intervals!

Kristin, I'm sorry but I can't help with the Garmin question. Maybe combination of rain and buildings/trees?

I hope to get up a little early to run. These long hours on night shift are whipping me Sad

Bin Running

Mitch, hang in there.

Maybe I ran the intervals a little too hard and also made a mistake of doing 5M warmup. Haa. I felt pretty spent now, watching tv with family. Almost like stoned.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I got neither swim nor walk done yesterday, as catching up with work was a priority.  Hoping to get a walk in today, we'll see.  For all my catching up, I didn't make much progress!!  I've forgotten to ice my knee for the past two days, so it's twinging just a little.  Still very thankful for drugs, though!!

Gustav -- what's your goal for that 5k?

D2 -- have fun with your easy miles!!

awood -- you're more than welcome to come wash my car!!

Bin -- the trail sounds fun!!

N-Bug -- you should follow those inner voices!!

kristin -- sometimes my Garmin goes a little odd when there's a thick cloud cover -- like it obscures the satellite signal or something.

hog -- how long are you on night shift?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Morning, everyone!  Moth posted this on Facebook yesterday, and I thought it was pretty funny.  I'm sure I'm guilty of this, although I try not to.  Anyway, enjoy if you didn't see it.

Nike "Talk About Running" Watch

Heck, I could be getting online minutes right now!

Today I will run 8 after work.  Hopefully all in daylight!

Gustav- Good luck this weekend!  I hope that you do a RR!

D2- Enjoy the easy miles!

Awood- Taper madness already?  You have to pace your taper, don't go out too fast!

Bin- Nice run!  Now I hope you have a nice recovery!

Vance- Next time, get up and run!

kristin- My GPS did something like that once.  It was so bad that autopause even came on while I was running!  I stopped to try to figure out how to at least turn off autopause, couldn't figure it out, but by the time I started running again it was working.

Mitch- Hope that you feel rested and ready for a run when you get up.

HsM- Maybe another day of rest before walking if it's not feeling good still?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Zel: Thanks for the link... The last few lines were funny Smile

D2: Taper madness has begun!

Gus: I have a link for some myrtl things but I can never be bothered to do them. I will do the clamshells once every so often.

Awood: You are doing a LOT goal setting lately. Well done.

Bin: Stoned? How do you know what that feels like? Wink

N-Bug: I hate when that happens...

Kristin: Depending on the cloud cover, sometimes certain Garmins get lost. Also, be sure it is at least water resistant (I think most or all of them are).

Hog:Sorry about the hours. I hope it's only temporary for you.

HsM: 85.6 mpg today on the way to work!!

Today I have intervals: 2 miles at HM pace, 2x1 mile at 10k pace, and 2x800 at 5k pace. That should be interesting. I think I will do the 2 miles on the road and the 2x1 mile and 2x800 on the track.

Have a good day.

Jen16226

Good morning all!

The kids and I got back from Florida on Sunday and OMG coming back to work yesterday just plain sucked!

Between the mountain on my desk from a few days off, being constantly on the go in Florida with my parents trying to cram everything around for us to see into 3 days, the 10K saturday  and then "springing ahead" by the end of yesterday, I was ready to drop over.

My race went well for me on Saturday though and I now have a 10K time of 1:22:55 to work with.  My penguin legs were moving and I am very proud that I did it.

The people were very nice and the race was pretty organized considering it was multiple races going off at once...bikes 100K, 50K and 25K then running HM, 10K, 5K and 1 mile.

The one thing I was actually nervous about on the trail was there were a couple of wetland areas and I was terrified of seeing an alligator. LMAO  So in those areas I was trying to be quiet and keeping an eye out as well as I could without my glasses and luckily I didn't see anything.......HOWEVER a couple of hours later someone posted a picture to the race's FB page and it was an alligator in the wetlands area they saw!  OMG I would have just died seeing that....although I am sure my mile in that stretch would have been record setting for me! LMAO

Anyway, it's back to the grind and I think for the next month I am going to just try and work on getting a little faster and my cardio as much as I can before I start HM training for August.

Have a great day!!!!!

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

Singer who runs a smidge

Lunch?  I had homemade chicken nuggets and a salad.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.