Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins -Your Body Has To Last You A Lifetime! (Read 41 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, so I just went for a very short and very slow walk -- 1/3 of a mile in 10 minutes.  My knee was beginning to twinge just a little as I was finishing, but it didn't lock up at all, and I am now sitting in my office with no pain.  As long as it doesn't stiffen up, I'll be peachy.  And if it doesn't hurt, I figure I can do it again tomorrow, which is more than I've been able to say for a few months.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Sloooow.

Gustav- Best of luck with your 5K on Sunday Smile

Dave- Hope your miles go well!

Awood- Rest assured, the good weather is coming. Training, sounds too complicated for my tired head right now though. Marathon training always seems so tough.

Bin- Good job on the miles, that's pretty speedy. Greenery trails sound very nice too, hope it turns out to be somewhere you can run frequently.

N-Bug- That's how I start most of my mornings, lol. My mornings definitely don't start at ridiculous o'clock though.

Kristin- Good job on getting the two miles done. I have no clue what is up with your wonky Garmin though!

Hog4Life- How long are you going to be on night shifts for? My partner is a medic and there was a period of time he worked the night shifts, it took him a loooong time to get used to it. By then they put him back on days.

HopesMom- Sorry to hear about your knee Sad I hope it starts behaving soon.

Zelanie- I just watched that video, haha.

Jack- Good luck with your miles!

Jen- Congratulations on the 10K! There are supposed to be alligators around here too, I would die if I stumbled upon one. Luckily it's usually just snakes I see, lol.

AFM, 2 not so easy miles yesterday, I felt pretty stiff in my calves. Aiming for 2 today. I have a 5K on Saturday that I am planning on racing (as in, pushing myself, I'm still slow as molasses). Should I take a couple of days off before the race?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Kind of a timely title for me today, lol.  Went to General Surgery today at the military hospital and got the results of my ultra-sound:  hernia recurrence.  That's the bad news. Then Doc sent me to get both a cat-scan and an MRI to get a closer/better look at it and had me wait for the results of those.   The good news is the doc says this hernia is so small and it is under my mesh that was put in from my previous hernia surgery that he very much doubts it is going to cause me problems, get strangulated, etc, so he recommends nothing be done at this time, based on the answers I gave to his questions:  Are you in pain?  No, just some mild discomfort, very mild.   Is this stopping you from living life as normal?  Nope, can do everything I usually do, including run and my weight training circuit, without any pain or major discomfort. I told him I did a 32-minute 5K on Saturday with no problems and he laughed and said 'Dang, that's better than my 5K time."

So he will send me to the Pain Clinic to get an injection to make the 'discomfort' area feel better, and then 'we' will be in a wait-and-watch stage, and if the thing does start acting like my first hernia did, then it will be surgery time.  I asked about continued running and he said "Go for it.   As a runner, you know the drill...just listen to your body (this doc, a surgeon, is a runner too, by the way), you know it best, and you will know if something happening in it is not normal for you.  So go live your life as usual."

So I did...right after I was finished at the hospital - Brooke Army Medical Center aka BAMC (bam-cee) is where I go since I'm retired military - I headed over to the Fort Sam gym, got into my running gear, and went out and did 4.9 miles of hills in 52:53, averaging 10:49 per mile, finishing back at the gym, and then did my full-body weight training circuit.  And felt good the whole time!

Yeah, my body has to last a lifetime all right, but it sure seems that I am putting a lot of wear-and-tear on it, lol. When I first got to the clinic this morning, they gave me a form and said list all your past surgeries.  I went back and told the desk lady I needed another sheet! Big grin Doc was reviewing my info and told me "We need to bring you in sometime for the classes."  BAMC is a major military medical center, and one of the prime treatment facilities for the Wounded Warriors, but it is also a teaching hospital, and Doc jokingly said I could be a 'living classroom" for the students, lol.  He may be right, just look at what I gave him:

1954 (my birth year) - for a birth defect

1974 - left knee surgery (helicopter crash)

1975 - right hand surgery (finger nearly severed by a Filipino bar-girl..and she was trying for another guy!  Really bad aim on her part, lol)

1976 - left knee surgery (infected bone)

1982 - right foot surgery (sliced a couple toes up)

1983 - my cancer was found; subsequent surgery

1985 - elective surgery - vasectomy; and now if I slide back on my chair too fast, pressuring the scars, my voice goes up an octave or two for a bit   Joking

1993 - left knee surgery (torn meniscus)

2003 - minor back surgery, the year my spinal arthritis and degenerative disk disease flared up really bad)

2004 - right knee surgery (torn meniscus)

2005 - bi-lateral hernia surgery, hernias found on the right and left sides

Continuing since 2003, and for the rest of my life:  Epidural Spinal Injection once a quarter for my spinal arthritis

Ta Da!  Big grin

So I'm really hoping this miniscule hernia really behaves itself and I don't have to have another surgery.  I think I've had my share.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

You've definitely had your share, Scotty!!

My surgery list:  I had my wisdom teeth out in 11th grade.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Jeeze, Scotty, you are a war horse!!

ugh, can't do personals on the phone...3 on the TM for me later.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Doc, how ya been? I might do a 5k in a few weeks at Santa Anita. Lots of horses!

Scotty: WOW!!!! That is some record you've got going. I hope you don't have to add too much more!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wait, it's a cutback week, Gustav, and you ran 'hard' miles?  You, sir, are a glutton for punishment!  Said the pot to the kettle, lol.

Enjoy the easy taper miles, Dave!  Good luck with your Little League meeting.  If you need references, we Penguins will 'go to bat" for you. Big grin

Awood, you just need to move to San Antonio, we have that weather pretty much all year round.  Oh, the occasional cold days creep in, but they don't last long.  Or you could go to Miami...but that city does not get a break from the humidity every once in a while like we do, from what Damaris tells me.

Congrats on the run, Bin!  Hope the greenery trail turns out to be a great running place for you.

Sorry about the lack of sleep, Vance!  Hope you get some quality ZZZZs.

Your garmin is haunted, Kristin!  Call a garmin exorcist!  And make sure to pay him on time too, otherwise your garmin will get 'repossessed"! Big grin  Congrats on your rain miles!

Sorry about the night shift hours, Mitch!  I'm sure it doesn't help when you get off in the morning, it is still dark now, with DLS time.

Sorry about the knee, HsM.  Look go to Target, Walmart, etc. get two tubes of biofreeze, keep one in your car, one at work.   That way, if you forget to ice the knee,  then wherever you are, you can just dab some biofreeze on it....it's 'ice in a tube".

Lol, Z, that Moth is a character!  Oh wait...so am I, I guess!  I knew I liked that guy!  Big grin

Good luck with the intervals, Jack!

Congrats on your 10K, Jen!  Glad you did not see the alligator.  But if you want to see a few, me and Tomas will take you for a run in a State Park here that we know... Big grin  Yeah, while you were gone, everyone said "Put it on Jen's desk, she'll do it when she gets back."  Welcome back to work!  And good luck!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

You've definitely had your share, Scotty!!

My surgery list:  I had my wisdom teeth out in 11th grade.

Oh yeah!  Thanks, I forgot to put that one down:  all my wisdom teeth removed in 1974.  Luckily, I was in the Air Force at the time, and stationed in the Philippines, and all of 20 years old, so all these nice "ladies" who were friends of mine came over to my apartment and took really good care of me until I felt better. Big grin

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Glad your knee behaved for the walk, HsM; so at least you can do something.

Good luck with the 5K, Coralie!  As for the rest before the 5K, I think it's a personal thing.  Some people do, some don't.  Personally, I like taking the day off before my 5Ks, which I usually do on Saturday, so I take Friday off.  It's probably more mental than physical, but it works for me.  Of course sometimes I have a 5K on Saturday and Sunday, and I seem to do just as well on Sunday with no rest, as I do for the 5K on Saturday.  So, as said, it's probably all mental for me, more than physical  Cuz..you are either ready for the 5K or not, and one rest day before it is not gonna change that.

Jeeze, Scotty, you are a war horse!!  Doc, does that mean I can now get my physicals from you?  Big grin Wink

Hi Doc, how ya been? I might do a 5k in a few weeks at Santa Anita. Lots of horses!  Yeah, Jack, and probably few horse's asses there too!   You excluded, of course!

Sloooow.

Good Lord, Scotty. You've had your fair share of surgeries! I'm sorry to hear about the hernia, but it's good you don't need surgery right away. I'm 24, and so far I've had a tonsillectomy, appendectomy, caesarian section and a mastoidectomy. Another mastoidectomy and ossicular chain reconstruction lined up for next week. I'm fed up with surgeries!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gee, flarunner, didn't that hurt, running under a shower of small springs? Wink  Congrats on your miles!

Good luck with your miles, Dave!  Hope you keep your balance...running miles on the tap....

Dang, Phil, 140 pounds may be light to you!  I can't even do that much with two good legs, lol.  I can do about 100 or so on the leg press. Way to go!  I am with LRB on the recumbent bike. Supposedly better for your back..it just bothers mine.

Ami, I am sure it will get better as your body gets used to the workout.  Wow, kudos for getting out there at 3:30 a.m. sheesh!

Good luck with the 4 miles Sparker!

DaveP, you can always come visit. My run today was at 9 a.m. and it was a pleasant 56 degrees and sunny.  We are heading to 77 degrees today for a high.  Only one shirt required.  Big grin  Way to get out there in that 33 degrees....BRRRR!

Good luck with the workout, Bruce!

Sarah, glad your weather up there in Nawth TX is getting better!  Nice running for you today!   I don't want to tackle a new goal.....I did that once in England...accidentally... it gave me a headache...damn goal post!  Blush

Dang, Basya, I don't know where you find the energy to do all that you do each day.  And starting off right in the early morning too!  Someone's been drinking way too much 5-hour energy... Wink

You have been quite active, Dan!  Good luck with the skating!  Congrats on your strength training yesterday and good luck with your miles and workout today!

Damaris is going on vacation and didn't tell me? So we will be Damaris-less for a while?   Cry  Wink

Although my pace today was a tad bit slower overall (6:30 average)  OK, this made me spit out my root beer., lol.  I can only do that pace in my dreams!  And even in my dreams, I still end up falling down, lol.   Nice running, LRB!

and thinking about making some huevos rancheros for breakfast.  Followed by a Pepto-Bismol chaser.  Wink  Good luck with those weeds, outoftheblue.  Weeding counts as x-training!

Good luck with your miles, Lily!  Sorry about the cable, hope it gets resolved quickly for you.  What kind of cable shows does Canada get anyway?  Dudley Do-Right...the Alan Thicke Show...How To Speak English Without Ending Every Sentence With "Eh"...   Wink

I'm thinking about 5 fartleky miles later.  April, maybe you should take some of OutOfTheBlue's Pepto before your run. Wink

Someone brought in red velvet cupcakes today.  SCORE.  Enjoy, Phil!  Am I the only one here that actually does not like cupcakes?  I just find them...annoying...too much 'work' to eat them, lol.  First you have to unwrap the little paper around them...then they crumble all over the place when you eat them, so you have post-cupcake cleanup.....and then, post-eating, certain types of frosting leaves your lips weird colors...like you're in the beginning preparations for going to a Zombie party...  Joking

Glad you got your run in before the pouring rain, Bill!  Have a good weight training session!

Nice running, Ric!

FreeSoul, sorry about your sucky weather too!  See my note to DaveP.  Nice and sunny down here!

Singer who runs a smidge

Scotty, I think you posted this in the wrong Dailies!!  Joking

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty, I think you posted this in the wrong Dailies!!  Joking

Yeah, I just noticed that, lol.  What I do is usually keep one page open, open another page, and then answer on one page as go down the other page reading all the posts.  Unfortunately, I forgot to delete from this thread when I posted on the other thread...Duhhhh....

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Doc, how ya been? I might do a 5k in a few weeks at Santa Anita. Lots of horses! Yeah, Jack, and probably few horse's asses there too! You excluded, of course!

Scotty: I am not so sure about that... Wink

GinnyinPA

Jen - glad you didn't see any gators during your race, though the adrenaline rush might have pushed you along quickly.

Gustav and Coralie - good luck on your 5k.

Awood - don't you know that planning gets you in trouble?

Scotty - that is a lot of surgeries.  I hope the hernia behaves.  Maybe lighter weights for a while?

HopesMom - I hope your knee improves quickly.

Bin - I hope the green trail works for you.  I really enjoy running through the woods, as long as the roots and rocks aren't too bad.

Kristin - sounds like typical behavior for technology around me.  That's why I stick to my simple timex.

AFM:  SRD today, but we walked 4 1/2 miles at a State park in Georgia. The past two days were trail runs - about 6 1/2 miles Sunday and 3 yesterday.  I think I figured out part of my issue with the long runs and completely running out of steam - I've been eating too close to the time I ran.  I can do that on short runs without a problem, but not on the long runs.  Something I read here on RA gave me the clue.  I assumed that since I didn't get cramps, I was okay to run an hour after eating, but evidently it's better to wait much longer for runs over an hour.  As slow as I am, that means anything over 5-6 miles.