Beginners and Beyond

RR- Chevron Houston Marahon - debut - with a few pics (Read 380 times)

rmorrissey64

Awesome job Tomas, congratulations even if you didn't get the $50,000 bonus

Congratulations, T-rod!  Wow, you've come a long way.

I'm pretty sure three light beers during a marathon would have completely wrecked me.  Big grin

thats  the joys of still being 275lbs - beers dont hurt so bad Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Jen16226

How absolutely inspirational you are sir!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing your RR and your story!

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

Antipodean

Thanks for sharing your story - very inspiring! May you have many more happy running times.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I had to comment after seeing your "family of runners" picture.  That's awesome!  It's so cool that you all can share the event together, regardless of your experience.  Your own journey has been truly remarkable too.  I don't know that I ever could have gotten into running had I started out without fitness from other sports, and I really admire what you've been able to do.  So many people in your position don't make the choice that you do, so kudos for choosing to make things better for yourself.

As for the race itself, it looks like you did an awesome job.  I can imagine that it was tough mentally to venture out on your own, although I was impressed by the paces that you knocked off after you did.  The beer made me laugh, but it sounds like it was just the right thing to pull you through to the finish!

I hope we hear lots more about your running journey in the future.  Great work!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

I had to comment after seeing your "family of runners" picture.  That's awesome!  It's so cool that you all can share the event together, regardless of your experience. 

we are trying to get a few more in next year's picture. My sisters and I want to do the goofy challenge at Disney next year and have my younger brother and my wife join for the half marathon on saturday.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

SheCan

What a nice story and RR, Tomas!   Your story shows us how its never too late to decide change.  Congratulations for your race and all your healthy successes!  Congratulations also to your sisters.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Congrats, very  inspirational.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Great report, Tomas, and nice photos!  Congrats to you and your family, those who ran it, and all those who supported you running it!  You have made some amazing progress!  Keep it up!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jen2011

Tomas, congratulations to you not just on your first marathon, but also the amazing things you have accomplished so far in your journey!  I can't wait to see your progress continue!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

17 miles to 26   !!!!  Amazing race, Tomas.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Congratulations Tomas! Your journey is an inspirational one, and finishing your first marathon is an amazing stop on that journey! Very proud of you! That is so awesome you had your sisters racing too there and other family on the sidelines cheering you on! Great RR thanks for sharing!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I finally got the opportunity to read the entire report!  That was awesome T-rod!

My first full is this November, and I hope someone offers me a beer around mile 20.  I don't know if I'll want it or not, but I'm betting I will.  I kept waiting for the part where you got emotional.  For some reason, I knew that there would be a point at which you'd get emotional.  I was day dreaming about completing a marathon over the summer during an 18 mile run, and just thinking about it got me kind of worked up.  I can't wait.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Tomas!! What an awesome journey and I can't wait to see where it takes you!

Congratulations!!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Zelanie

Very nicely done!  I am really impressed by the progress that you've made and the way you handled such a big challenge like this marathon.  My hat is off to you!