Beginners and Beyond

IT band issue - and I am 2 weeks away from my first marathon (Read 71 times)

Nata2011

I am soo mad. So basically - I had a twinge IT band here and there after a long run. Went away next day. This week during my last longish midweek run of 8 miles I had to cut it to 7 miles due to sharp pain. 4 miler next day - no problem. 5 easy - no problem. 12 miler yesterday - the thing flared up something wicked in mile 8-9 on a long gradual uphill.

I am freaking out as it is my first "injury". Icing, staying off feet, won't run till Thursday, foam roller etc

Am I doomed? I was planning for this marathon to be "one and done"

Thank you in advance for feedback

LRB

Well we won't be doing hills again for a while!  What is the mileage on your shoes?  It could also be mileage related.  What do you think about your mileage build up?  Was it gradual, or sudden?

Hip Redux

Can you find someone who can do ART or Graston?

Nata2011

Mileage on shoes - 55 miles (last week was a peak week). I have been running around 40 miles for a while - and peaked at 55. That was my 3rd 20+ run and I built up to it with a 15 miler, 17 miler and 19 miler....

and yes - hill repeat workout of 6 repeats can go to....it's taper anyway. As I am typing this, I am walking around in a knee sleeve - compression seems to help, no pain right now....as for graston - since it is my first injury I am not really sure who does such thing...PT?

Hip Redux

PT or a chiro might do it - I've had it done at both.  Maybe ask your local running store if they know who does it?  Or you can always go the self-Graston way  - there are a bunch of videos on line, I'm sure!

Nata2011

Thanks - sounds like I have a plan! And if it starts hurting in a marathon - I am ok with DNF. I don't run through pain

LRB

And if it starts hurting in a marathon - I am ok with DNF. I don't run through pain

Taking it easy on the mileage between now and then may help with that.

Nata2011

LRB - I am tapering and going to the beach this week. So no running won't be an issue. In fact if I do run - it will be either run on a TM or the beach (easy)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Go to www.itbandsecrets.com and sign up for the IT band quick solution program.

Hope all goes well.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Love the Half

Here's the good news about IT Band and what I'm currently fighting - Piriformis Syndrome.  You won't do any lasting damage to yourself if you run through the pain.  The only question is, "how much pain can you tolerate?"

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

The only question is, "how much pain can you tolerate?"

Yep, I had it twice.  Once I was able to run through it.  The other, there was no way in hell I could run one step further once it flared up.

Nata2011

My last 12 miler - I was able to run with it at about 10:30....once downhill started i was able to speed up to normal pace...so if it hurts to the point of slowing down significantly - meaning it really hurts - I may drop out. I did not train to be on my feet for 5+ hours....

just just purchased the stick. tried to roll and I can definitely feel the knot that appears to be triggering the ache. Will work to soften it upSmile

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

You're in taper so your mileage will decrease in the last 2 weeks anyway, which is what I'd recommend. Maybe even take some extra rest days. And look up Myrtl exercises and Strength Running IT Band exercises.....they are great for strengthening muscles related to IT band issues!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

Are the new shoes a new model of shoe?  And even if not, do the feel any different than your old ones?

Nata2011

Are the new shoes a new model of shoe?  And even if not, do the feel any different than your old ones?

No to both. Just broke in a new pair of the same shoe I have been training in. The only possible issue is that I have done my longest run of 22 miles when they were brand new. And that 22 miler ended up being 24 because I got lost...still somehow I think it is mostly a function of overuse in my first round of marathon training.