Beginners and Beyond

500 Festival Mini Marathon – Debut Half – First RR (Be Gentle) (Read 96 times)

Background

I decided that my first half marathon should be big. So, what’s bigger than the nation’s biggest Half?! I registered for the One America 500 Festival Mini Marathon last fall, just two months after I had started running. My initial goal was to just finish the thing with a (slight) smile on my face. Over the winter I logged a decent number of miles which equated to a marginal increase in speed and endurance. I was placed in Corral V, which had an estimated finish time of around 2:55. Based on my final long run of 13.1 miles, I knew 2:30:00 was a more probable finish. My fear was that I wouldn't get to run the race I wanted to, being pinned in by the ridiculous number of people running this thing. I'm somewhere close to the blue arch in the background lol.

Race day

After a fairly restless night of sleep, 4:45 came early. I downed a small breakfast of a whole wheat english muffin w/ peanut butter and a banana, and was set to meet up with a few friends and ride in together. We got to a parking lot on the campus of IUPUI (right along the street where the race finished – perfect!) around 6:00, giving us an hour to gear check and to get into our corrals.

Yes, that’s husband/wife ‘Team Running Sucks’. The woman in the middle would later be heard exclaiming “Running really does suck!” as she crosses the finish line.

Start

The gun went off at 7:33, but took me 25 minutes just to get to the start line. If I did the math right, the winner was closing in on the halfway mark by the time I took my first step on the course. That’s a lot of people.

I knew that I needed to pace myself and not get carried away at the start. I was very pleased with my splits.

Mile 1: 12:38

Mile 2: 12:17

Mile 3: 12:12

Mile 4: 11:35

Mile 5: 11:33

The crowd support was great and the entertainment was wonderful. I’m glad I took the advice of not wearing headphones so I was able to take it all in.

Miles 6-8 (approximately) were on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Even though I live in Indy, this was only the second time I’d been to the track. Here’s where I ran into a sea of walkers. On the left. On the right. In the middle. Walkers everywhere. I lost my groove here and posted my first positive split of the day. Boo. I did however, jump on the yard of bricks. I’m a bit of a germaphobe, so kissing the bricks wasn’t going to happen.

Mile 6: 11:05

Mile 7: 11:40

Mile 8: 11:26

With about a half mile left on the track, I was ready for a change of scenery. I was also ready to see a wider road with (hopefully) more room to pass. Mile 9 hit, and for the first time, I was ready to see the finish line. Up to this point, I was enjoying every step. Being a part of such a huge event was really neat. But I was getting tired of being cut off and having to thread a needle to get through slower runners/walkers that were 3-4 wide. However, I was back on track and posting better splits. At this point, I was hungry and feeling zapped of energy. I knew there was a Clif Gel station at mile 10 and was thinking that maybe it would give me enough oomph to get me over the finish line. I ended up getting a Vanilla. Quite possibly one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever ingested. But I choked it down and pushed on.

Mile 9: 11:16

Mile 10: 11:05

5K to go! There was a weird feeling in the air with the people around me. The mood went from festive and happy to “Dear God, are we there yet?!” I overheard a lady by me saying her and her daughter were running at a 10:20 pace. I told her she was going to be my bunny, but I lost sight of them by mile 12. Whoops.

Mile 11: 10:50

Mile 12: 10:52

The final push! The crowd support picked up here and I really wanted to finish strong. The “Victory Mile” as they call it was really cool. Spectators on both sides of the street to cheer you on. I found a section of road on the left that was pretty well clear of runners and was able to give it I had left.

Mile 13: 9:53

Mile 13.1: 8:58 Pace

I’m still waiting for them to post a finish photo, but here I am in the recovery area showing off the bling!

Garmin time: 2:30:45 for 13.26 miles

Chip time: 2:30:54

So stinkin' close to my 2:30:00 goal. I really think all the dodging and weaving I did cost me at least those 54 seconds. However, I am thrilled with how I did and very happy with my pacing. I know this is really long, so seriously, thanks for reading, if you stuck with it. Smile

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Wow, it's really brave of you to jump into a big race like that.   I'm glad it went so well for you, though as you noted... there's a lotta dodging going on!

those are some sick negative splits, as well.

Under 2:30 is totally possible for you.  Congratulations.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Just B.S.

Congrats, great job for a first HM and such a large one to boot!

Based on your splits I would say with more miles and this experience that your next HM will

be much faster!!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Congratulations on your first half marathon! That's a lot of people. Super speedy last mile. Smile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The mood went from festive and happy to “Dear God, are we there yet?!”  OK, this made me laugh.  I've had  a couple of halfs like that, lol.

Well, sorry you missed your goal time by so little, but this huge event is, well...forget about the finish time....just finish!  You probably did more than a half, with all the weaving and threading through the crowd!  Anyway, you did great!  Congrats on your half!  And that was a very nice race report!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Great job!    Boy, you did indeed go big.  I couldn't even imagine being in that crowd of runners--- scary!  But even with so many people you almost got your goal.  The photos are great, love your smile in the last one!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!  Close indeed but I am sure you will get it next time.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Don't call me Buttercup!

Congrats!!  Sounds like an awesome debut.  You'll kill those 54 seconds on your next one. =)

Sorry about all the walkers - that really does suck.  Yesterday whenever my friend and I slowed down to walk, we made VERY sure we were not in anyone's way.  Nothing worse than running and ending up having to dart around people who are walking (or standing still).

What's with the bricks?  Why do people kiss them??

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

One of the perks of racing a new distance is that if you finish it's a PR. Smile  Congrats on finishing your first HM and getting a PR!

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

Love the Half

In huge races like that, the only way to avoid dodging people the entire way is to be near the front.  If you want to bust a fast time, pick some small, flat race in the fall.  That will work well because it's flat, it should be cool, you'll be in better shape by then, and you won't have to weave in and out.  Congrats on getting in your first HM.  Keep it going.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

It's customary for  the winner of the Indy 500 to kiss the yard of bricks. Back in the day, the whole track was brick, but when they renovated, they left a three foot section intact at the start/finish line. That's why the speedway is sometimes referred to as the Brickyard.

Anyway, since not many people have gotten to do that, they take the opportunity during the Mini.

Congrats!!  Sounds like an awesome debut.  You'll kill those 54 seconds on your next one. =)

Sorry about all the walkers - that really does suck.  Yesterday whenever my friend and I slowed down to walk, we made VERY sure we were not in anyone's way.  Nothing worse than running and ending up having to dart around people who are walking (or standing still).

What's with the bricks?  Why do people kiss them??

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

happylily

Congratulations on your first half! You did well! You look very happy in your last picture. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

The mood went from festive and happy to “Dear God, are we there yet?!”  OK, this made me laugh.  I've had  a couple of halfs like that, lol.

In years past there were signs in the last mile counting it down 400m at a time but not this year for some reason.  Most of the last mile is downhill so you are juicing it but without the signs its hard to judge how far out to hit the go button.

Congrats on a great race for you!  I started up in E and was doing the dodge the idiot as well.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Glad you had  a fun race for your first.  Hope you have many more.    Do they wave a checkered flag at the finish line?

tracilynn

Congrats on your first!  Great job!

~~~~~~~

Traci