Beginners and Beyond

500 Festival Mini Marathon – Debut Half – First RR (Be Gentle) (Read 96 times)

Rondog65

Thank you for sharing the report, congrats on running a great race.  Running a Half Marathon is a great achievement.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

workinprogress11

Great job on your first HM!  I'm sure sub 2:30 is in your future.  It WAS crowded and I did lots of dodging walkers who just stopped wherever they were on the road as well.  What's up next?

Mostly harmless

Thanks for sharing your race day with us. I really love reading race reports like this.

I know coming that close to a goal time is going to be a bit disappointing but in a crowd that big you did great to get as close as you did.  Weaving in and out of traffic saps your energy and I would be willing to bet if you had run the exact same course with a smaller crowd you would have met your goal time easily.  Kudos on being disciplined about your pacing from the start.  That isn't easy for a lot of people new to racing, it wasn't for me that's for sure.

Congrats on completing your first half!  Do you have plans to race another one soon?

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

There's actually a Half in Illinois two weeks from now that is really tempting me. I felt good (physically) after this one but don't really know the protocol on how often to race and what not.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

camille2

You did great on your first!  Congratulations!  It sounds like fun. : )  I don't blame you for not kissing the bricks.  : )

LRB

There's actually a Half in Illinois two weeks from now that is really tempting me. I felt good (physically) after this one but don't really know the protocol on how often to race and what not.

It depends on how much you expended yourself.  I ran my second half marathon three weeks after my first and although physically I felt fine, I was unable to generate the leg turnover during my second that came so much easier during my first.

I ended up running it only less than two minutes slower than the first, but never felt fast.

Ms Chenandler Bong

Congrats on finishing your first half and such a great one to run as well!  If you want to run it next year, submit proof of time (a finish time of another race) when you sign up.  That can get you seeding in the lower corrals.   I was in E and crossed the starting line in 3 minutes.  But still had to dodge people most of the way.  And everyone starts walking in the tractk, people who didn't train well start to crash there.

Anyways, go ahead and run in IL, you'll be happy that you did.

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on finishing your first half marathon!  You did well, considering the crowds.  What did your garmin give you as a final distance?

Garmin came in at 13.26. Not sure if my weaving had anything to do with that, or just the natural variance you tend to get with a GPS watch.

Congratulations on finishing your first half marathon!  You did well, considering the crowds.  What did your garmin give you as a final distance?

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Pinktastic

Congrats on your debut half!!   Go big you did indeed!!   I can definitely identify with the whole tired of dodging and weaving and threading the needle comment.   I know that takes a lot out of me and when I've had to do that for the entire race, I always feel like I'm being crushed in the sea of humanity for 13.1 miles.  Mentally that's tough, but you succeeded!!  Way to go!!  Keep up the hard work and you're going to set a new PR in your next HM for sure!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

kettledrum

Great job!  Awesome report, and very nice pacing picking it up the whole way through!  It is definitely an exciting experience especially as a debut HM for you, as it also was for me!   Now I gotta get motivated and write my report haha.

Hip Redux

I caught your photo in the before-and-after thread, and now catching up on your RR...  you have come a long way and I'm excited to see where your journey goes next!  Kudos!

Congrats on your first, you'll smash that goal next time.

(Especially if it's a smaller race... holy cow that start photo looks like a NFL game's worth of attendees)

B-Plus

Congrats on your first half. Way to pick up the pace there.