Beginners and Beyond

Put Those Lips Together and Kiss Somebody Monday Penguins (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Happy Monday!  Today is March 16, which is Lips Appreciation Day!

It is also St. Urho Day - The Finnish Saint of the Grasshopper...

"Once upon a time, many many years ago in Finland they say (they being the geologists and such) there used to be wild grapes growing all over. How do they know this?  From studying the remains of bears found in that area.    Well, one season a bunch of grasshoppers (i.e. locust)  with a voracious appetite for grapes happen to hop on into Finland.  What to do?  Enter our great Finnish Hero, St. Urho!  Waving his pitchfork and chanting "Heinasirkka, heinasirkka, menetaalta hiiten" (which in English means "Grasshopper grasshopper skoot!") he drove the grasshoppers out of the vineyards."

Goddard Day, commemorating the launch site of the world's first successful liquid-fueled rocket

And it is NO SELFIES DAY!

Image result for no selfies

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!  Super sore after yesterday's race so today will be a yoga and massage day.  Maybe I'll get a pedicure too because my runners feet are reaching a new level of gross lately =P  If I can find a way to post pics and such I will.  I'm really proud of  how I raced that - I went out easy and maybe had a slight negative split?  They only had 5k splits for us and my GPS was wacky wacky but here's what I've got from my race results page:

0:32:57 (5k) 1:06:54 (10k) 1:39:04 (15k) 2:11:56 (20k) 10:37 (overall pace) 2:18:58 (finish)

So my first 10k took 1:06:54 and my second 10k took 1:05:02 =D  The first half of the course was substantially harder (hillier) than the second.  But the second half of the course was much windier so who knows which part was harder.  I was trying to tuck in behind tall men during the second half of the race and use them as wind shields as much as possible.

Brill - congrats on finishing yesterday, I can't imagine running a marathon in such heat.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Non-running day for me after my two weekend 5Ks:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/0f9399f7d75142a0ab756ea50d7422a6/resume#focus

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/726537f708bc40cbb00d0ce9c2218ec0/resume#focus

Will probably do my weight training circuit after work, depending on how motivated I get.  I have been very lazy lately in the weight training circuit area.  Bad dog, bad dog!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 7 miles.

Since I get to question David Cassidy at his meeting of creditors today, maybe I should kiss him?  Not really, I am conducting it so no kissing allowed.  Pffftt.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

Nice splits sapf! Enjoy your pedicure.

Morning scotty, enjoy your rest day.

SRD I am tired today and not doing Squat. Nada. Yawn.

75° and sunny gonna play outside with kiddos.

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.  SRD cancelled due to nice weather.

Have a great week.

From the Internet.

Morning pens!

I'm at work and ready to go out and run, just waiting a bit for the sun to take care of any remaining ice on the roads before I head out. 6-7 easy with some strides on tap for today.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I've already puckered up with DH a few times today, so I've got the lips thing down.  Tonight is Friends and Family night at the local chorus (not mine), and they've asked all the competing quartets to sing their packages as well, so I brought in my gig back full of sparkles and makeup!  DH is coming down to watch, and it'll be our first showing in front of an audience, so that's all good.  Unfortunately either I'm coming down with a cold or getting smacked by allergies, so I'm not feeling the greatest.  This too shall pass.

sapf -- Sounds like a great race for you, woo-hoo!!

scotty -- get on those weights, sir!!

Docket -- enjoy your 7!!

traci -- I read your report in the weekend thread, woo-hoo!!

Jerryb -- glad your SRD got cancelled!!

Lauren -- Have a good 6-7 with strides!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

sapf - great job on the negative split.  Enjoy your RD.

Scotty - you earned a rest day too.  Hope you manage to do your weights.

Jerry - When you live in Chicago, you have to take advantage of good weather when it happens.  Are you trying to follow a schedule, or just letting things happen?  When is your next race?

HopesMom - have fun singing tonight.

Damaris - good luck on the negotiations and on the seven later.

Traci - are you sore from your race, or just tired?  Enjoy doing nothing.

Lauren - hope you find a clear place to run.  Have fun.

AFM:  SRD or cross-training here.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins.

Jill, congratulations on your PR!!!

Kathleen, your pies are beautiful!  I am a pie-maker, too, with homemade crusts, but mine don't look nice like yours.  My family loves the flaky crust but makes fun of how they look (pie crust fail!).   So now I usually just crimp with a fork so they look less lame.

Scotty, nice job on the 2 races; enjoy the rest.

Damaris, have fun with Mr. Cassidy!  I was so in love with his little brother when I was 10. Smile

Traci, enjoy the rest.

Jerry, I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do in the lovely weather!

Lauren, sounds like a good workout, hope it goes well.

HopesMom, have a fun evening.

Ginny, what's your cross training plan if you decide on that?

Massage day for me!

Brilliant

oops dup

Hi All!

Scotty - where DO you come up with those pics? Good thing you are taking it easy

sapf - Fantastic race!

DR - David Cassidy? Wowzer! Will Bobby Sherman be there, too?

Traci - Enjoy your RD. You earned it!

HM - Don't kiss too many with those germies on your lips.

Ginny - Ah...SRD enjoy.

Lauren, Jerry - enyoy your runs!

Brilliant - Sister Pie Baker!

AFM - SRD and PT, which is helping. Getting my runs in and feeling improvement. That scrapping technique, though. UGH. Still have a nice bruise.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your races, Brilliant and sapf!

Sorry about your weather, though, Brilliant - it certainly lived up to your forum name!  I was reading about the race yesterday and apparently lots of folks were falling out because of the heat, sheesh.  Glad you made it!

Damaris, let us know if David sang out his answers to you...

Have a nice NADA day, Traci!  Sometimes it's nice just to do nothing.

Anything above freezing temp is considered nice weather in Chicago, isn't it Jerry?

Hope your run went well, Lauren!  Or goes well if you have not done it yet.

Hope you feel better, HsM.  Good luck with the singing tonite.

Ginny, if I earned a rest day with my two measly 5Ks then Brilliant and sapf probably earned 4 or 5 rest days!    Happy x-training!  What do yo do for x-training anyway?

Good luck with the PT, Kathleen.  What's the 'scrapping' technique?  That sounds like it might be painful.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

No schedule or training program, Ginny.  I let the weather and DW decide.

From the Internet.

7 easy done, ended up not doing the strides after all - roads are no longer icy, but gravel and potholes everywhere are not fun to try to go fast on. My DS Racers will be here tomorrow anyway, so I'll take them for a short spin on the stupid treadmill with a few pickups to make up for lack of strides today.