Beginners and Beyond

Hurray for Friday Penguins!!! (Read 26 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Didn't get my 5 in last night so I pulled myself out of bed and did 5 @ 5 Smile

10:09, 9:59, 9:45, 9:39, 9:17

Don't care much for that 10m/m pace for the first mile but at least I pulled off negatives...

Can't wait for the weekend. Really excited about watching the cross country race tomorrow!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Birthday Docket !!!

Bin Running

Morning, Jimmy and Jerry.

Happy birthday, Damaris.

Rest day for me. F1 is here for the weekend. Not really a car person but still excited abt it. Watching in tv though.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Don't run less than an hour after eating sushi. Ever.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Short run planned after our health club workouts.  Park District for me, Curves for DW.  DD1 en route home from honeymoon...yay !!!!

PADRunner

Had to do 4 easy indoors on the TM this morning. There was a lot of water falling from the sky. I forget what it's called it's been so long.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  First run done (10 miles).  More tonight as well as a run with hubby.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Morning pens!

2.66 miles last night, at work now, off to the gym in a few mintues to attempt 1/2 mile on the treadmill (but I might just walk since I ran 14 hours ago) and lift some weights.. and jump in the pool for some water running intervals.. I think I need to plan my weekly workouts better so I'm not trying to cram everything in at once on Friday. Oh well.

Kristin I feel nauseous just thinking about running after sushi D:

Happy birthday Damaris!

Have a good day everyone!

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  Yesterday I was on my last personal when my browser crashed and lost my post, and I couldn't bring myself to come back and type.  I ran for the first time this week, though!  I had a good time at the social run.  Today I am going to do my LR after work before I pick up my daughter.  I did it last week, and it worked pretty well.  I like not having that to worry about on the weekend.

Jimmy- Glad you're getting back out there!  I hope that you're keeping most of your runs at an "easy" pace!

Damaris- Happy birthday!  You are catching up to me. Wink

Jerry- Have a good run!  Sounds like DD21 lives nearby?

Bin- Have fun this weekend!

kristin- Sounds like good advice.

PAD- You could come out to Oregon and get to know all about water falling from the sky!

Lauren- I think the 1/2 mile on the TM plan you posted yesterday sounds like a good one!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Went out after work yesterday into the 93 degree weather, 58% humidity and 73 dew point and did 3.3 miles of hills.  Not quite as warm as Damaris' weather in Miami, but still pretty warm, and the air was pretty thick as there were thunderstorms threatening.  It is raining right now, as a matter of fact, coming down really good, and supposed to do this all day and all night.  We will probably get some flooding in places.  Anyway, I did my running segments very well, and my main goal for this run was to get up Zoo Hill nonstop - a fairly steep hill that is long too, about a half-mile long - and I did exactly that, got up that sucker in good order. Nice reward at the top with a lovely view looking down at the Zoo's Japanese Tea Gardens.   Two more hills near Trinity University and then it was flat the rest of the way back to the YMCA.  Very nice run/walk, felt strong the whole way.  Today is a rest day and I will pick up my packet after work for Sunday's 5K.  Tomorrow I drive to Austin - weather permitting and if the roads are not flooded -  for the CASA Superhero 5K, a fun one I do every year, with lots of folks wearing all kinds of costumes, some of them are really quite imaginative!  LOTS of photos for this report!

Holidays for Sep 20th are:

Punch Day

Tradesmen Day

Farm Safety Day

Chicken Dance Day, oh yeah! Especially celebrated in Cincinnati. On September 20, 1994, the Crown Prince of Bavaria visited Cincinnati and participated in an Oktoberfest Zinzinnati celebration that included the world's largest chicken dance. With 40,000 people joining in the activity, the event was recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records.

And this weekend is "Clean Up the World" weekend

And Sep 22 -  in celebration of one of our own forum folks Wink - is Hobbit Day!

chicken dance cartoons, chicken dance cartoon, chicken dance picture, chicken dance pictures, chicken dance image, chicken dance images, chicken dance illustration, chicken dance illustrations

party punch cartoons, party punch cartoon, party punch picture, party punch pictures, party punch image, party punch images, party punch illustration, party punch illustrations

KEYWORD1  2005-06-10  parody  parodies  lay off the exfoliating cream  lay off the exfoliating cream

tradesmen cartoons, tradesmen cartoon, tradesmen picture, tradesmen pictures, tradesmen image, tradesmen images, tradesmen illustration, tradesmen illustrations

tradesmen cartoons, tradesmen cartoon, tradesmen picture, tradesmen pictures, tradesmen image, tradesmen images, tradesmen illustration, tradesmen illustrations

hobbits cartoons, hobbits cartoon, hobbits picture, hobbits pictures, hobbits image, hobbits images, hobbits illustration, hobbits illustrations

hobbits cartoons, hobbits cartoon, hobbits picture, hobbits pictures, hobbits image, hobbits images, hobbits illustration, hobbits illustrations

the lord of the rings cartoons, the lord of the rings cartoon, the lord of the rings picture, the lord of the rings pictures, the lord of the rings image, the lord of the rings images, the lord of the rings illustration, the lord of the rings illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Dad on the run.

What is the definition of easy? Tongue

Jimmy- Glad you're getting back out there!  I hope that you're keeping most of your runs at an "easy" pace!

Zelanie - That just sounds disgusting. I love sushi, but I could never imagine running afterwards. BLEH!

Not sure why, but I was half asleep on my way to work, now I'm here and I'm wired for sound! Maybe its the after effect of the run?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I am so glad it's Friday!!!  I don't have anything crazy going on at work today, but we do have faculty photos scheduled, so I had to dress up.  I'm even (gasp) wearing earrings!!  And I brought makeup, though I won't bother putting it on until I'm ready to head over for pics.  Woo-hoo!!

jblack -- woo-hoo for your 5@5!!

Ooh, it's Docket's birthday??  Happy birthday!!!

Jerryb -- good morning!!

Bin -- I'm not really into F1.  DH watches Nascar, though.

kristin -- sounds like a story there, and not a good one!!

PAD -- that's called snow, right?  Woo-hoo for your indoor 4!!

And the birthday girl herself -- woo-hoo for your 10 done, and good luck on the rest!!

Lauren -- sounds like a really busy evening!!

Zelanie -- good luck with your long run!!

scottydawg -- hooray for conquering the hills!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dad on the run.

Happy B'day D!!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Thanks, guys!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page