Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins (Read 22 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  RD #2 for me.  The pain train came into town last night.  I hope this is the peak of the pain because if it gets any worse I'm going to give in and take some advil which will piss off my tummy.  I also woke up with various flulike symptoms (swollen glands, sore throat, etc.)  Lots of rest for me today.  I don't currently have any students scheduled.  I need to rest up because my husband is being honored at a gala on Thursday and my attendance is pretty much mandatory.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Brilliant

Uh oh, I hope you feel better quickly!  I hope it's just post-marathon malaise and not getting sick.  A gala sounds fun, we will need pics!

Speaking of galas...I am going to play with flowers this morning, helping set up for an event.  Then later I get to go play with 2nd graders at program.  Should be a fun day.

PADRunner

6 for me this morning.

sapf - Started thinking about next year yet? You will.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 miles after Pilates class tonight.

sapf, it's probably DOMS.  Hope you feel better soon.

Brilliant, enjoy the gala prep.

PAD, nice 6.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Geez, I have nothing to say.  Clearly my life needs some fall cleaning!!  I'll just say that driving home in the dark after work yesterday was a bit disconcerting.  So there.

sapf -- hoping every hour today finds you feeling better!!

Brilliant -- enjoy the flowers and the kids!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 6 done!!

Docket -- have a good 6 and Pilates!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.  TM intervals on tap for later. 5x1000 @10k pace, should be about 6 miles total.

Brilliant

Hi Jack! Why TM?  It's a gorgeous day out there!

PAD, nice running.

Damaris, have a good run and pilates.

HopesMom, the time change takes some getting used to, doesn't it?

I had a great interval run this morning (12x400s).  At #4, I was thinking "this is easy, is this really a quality workout?"   At #7 I thought it was still pretty easy and I could probably do it all day.  At #9 I thought, "why isn't my heart rate going down during the rest periods?" and at #11 I thought "OMG I still have 2 left?!"  And then to make it worse, I can't do math in my head when I'm oxygen deprived, so I just realized when I uploaded the run that the last two were .3 miles each instead of .25!  Anyway it was a good but hard workout.  Now on to the rest of my day.

GinnyinPA

Brilliant - that is a lot of intervals.  Great job.

Jack - good luck with your interval run.

HM - I don't like the early darkness either.  I almost got caught by sunset on my run yesterday because I forgot about the time change.

Jill - probably DOMS and the general let down you get after a much anticipated event.  My mom used to always get sick right after Christmas.  Maybe do a walk in the sunshine today and see if that helps.   I hope you enjoy the gala.  Congratulations to your husband. What is he being honored for?

PAd - nice job on the early six.

D - enjoy your run and Pilates later.  Is it cooling off yet?

AFM:  I'm probably doing the social run this evening.  It will be the first one totally in the dark.  Fortunately, it's really warm this week so I won't be dealing with both dark and cold.  Beautiful day outside but we're starting to paint room two (the basement) and need to get that done so I can use the treadmill when it gets colder.  We've got so much stuff down there we have to do it in two parts, first one side of the room then the other.  We didn't have enough boxes to pack up all the books at once.  At least we can walk Ben in the sunshine, once they stop blowing up ordinance out at the Army Supply Depot.  He does not like the ground shaking booms.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Jack! Why TM?  It's a gorgeous day out there!

Point taken. They have a nice, new track so I can run on that while DD2 is at swim training.

Philliefan33

RD for me, so I just did some strength training at the gym. The weather is unusually warm at 70 degrees so it would've been nice to ride my bike to the gym, but I had to make a Costco run on the way home. No way would all of the stuff I bought fit into my bike basket.

Remember that staple of your college menu, boxed macaroni and cheese?  I'm making some for dinner. There's been a box in the pantry since DD came home from college and I'm tired of looking at it. So we are having it tonight with some chicken. I wonder if it will taste as good as it used to at 3 am after a night in town?

Docket_Rocket

I am jealous of your gorgeous days.  But with feels like 95F every stupid day, maybe I should say screw you?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5.1 solo run for me.  I won't mention the weather, DR.  Looks like a solo dinner as well. Now I'm really lost.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - where's your wife?

We had gorgeous weather here today too.  It was 64 when I did the group run this evening.  Perfect. I missed a turn, I think, but made up the difference at the end and ended up with 4.1 mostly easy miles.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jerry - where's your wife?

We had gorgeous weather here today too.  It was 64 when I did the group run this evening.  Perfect. I missed a turn, I think, but made up the difference at the end and ended up with 4.1 mostly easy miles.

Hospital visit. She is back.