Beginners and Beyond

Trailing weekend penguins (Read 18 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

National Trails Day!

PADRunner

Concrete trails for me today. 1 mile easy, 1 mile warm up, and 1 mile race and then a fitness challenge.

Today was The Summit Games at my 50+ gym. I got a Silver in the Mile run and a Gold in the fitness challenge and was named Mr. Summit Olympian!

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  Sorry I failed to post yesterday but was at a seminar all day and forgot my iPad, grrr, then went to see TMNT 2 and ran 7 miles on the TM.  I have 10 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Congrats, PAD!

I ran a half-marathon this morning.  The heat, mother of pearl, the heat!  I got a PR and a sunburn.

PADRunner

Congrats, PAD!

I ran a half-marathon this morning.  The heat, mother of pearl, the heat!  I got a PR and a sunburn.

Probably a wind burn from running so fast!

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats Bri and PAD.

Zelanie

Way to go, PAD!

Congrats, Brilliant!

It is almost 100 degrees here. I took my first ever DNS in my marathon today, but then since I wasn't racing I had to work. I woke up with enough time to run 2  before work, then ran 4.5 hot miles in my garage in the afternoon. But I have a fan and it was shady, so way better than outside.

Then DD and I went dress shopping because she is graduating from high school next week! 

Docket_Rocket

Way to go, PAD!

Congrats, Brilliant!

It is almost 100 degrees here. I took my first ever DNS in my marathon today, but then since I wasn't racing I had to work. I woke up with enough time to run 2  before work, then ran 4.5 hot miles in my garage in the afternoon. But I have a fan and it was shady, so way better than outside.

Then DD and I went dress shopping because she is graduating from high school next week! 

Good call.  Sorry!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Good call.  Sorry!

Thanks, D.  For all the wallowing in self-pity I've been doing all spring, today I felt pretty much OK with it.  Hopefully that's because I'm ready to move on.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Afternoon.  I skipped my 4 mile race this morning.  It was raining and humid and I've just been so not into running lately.  I have no idea how to get my mojo back :-(  The stress of house hunting doesn't help things.  At least we still have time on our side on that front.

Congrats on your HM PR Allison :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Brilliant

Jill, sorry you can't find your mojo.    Are you still suffering (sciatica, right?)  Maybe trying something else to mix things up will help.  I have been working out at the gym a lot in the last few weeks, both with free weights and in some classes, and it has helped my motivation just to do something "different".   Next up: I have a friend who wants me to try a spin class, and my hubby wants me to go hiking with him, and I'm going to try Tai Chi soon, too.  I know this is a running forum , but I think anything you can do to keep moving while you aren't into running is great.

PRs are great, but I can hardly walk today!  I was going to try Tai Chi tomorrow, but I'm afraid I won't be able to balance on one leg; it may have to wait for next week.

From the Internet.

I jumped into a half marathon 'cause I had a free entry. 1:51:01 and 3rd F20-29, quite possibly my last race in this age group before I move up in July! New England flat, my favorite kind of course - no really monstrous hills, just lots of rollers to keep things interesting.

Started off easy for the first mile and a half or so with running club friends, then picked it up a bit and practiced fueling/taking water from the all the water stations. Someone came huffing up behind me and tried to pass me on a hill round about mile 5.5, so I hammered it for a minute and dropped them before backing off again, enjoyed a fast mile 9 since it was entirely downhill, and picked it up quite a bit for the last mile because adrenaline and race or whatever (well, not-quite-mile by my watch - the course isn't certified so I think it's just a hair short, but good enough for a training run).

GinnyinPA

Some really nice racing going on this weekend, and some very smartly skipped races too. Congratulations PAD and Brilliant and Lauren.

Z - I can't imagine trying to race in those conditions.  Did they cancel the race or cut it short?  Good call to skip it.

Jill - sorry you're still feeling uninspired with your running, but I understand not wanting to race in the rain. Good luck with your house hunt.  I've done it both ways - once when we were in a hurry because our temporary home was in an unsafe area and once when we thought we had plenty of time but still ended up buying in a hurry because we were just tired of looking.  In both cases, one day we saw a house and knew, "This is it."

Allison -  I'd love to do Tai Chi but there are no classes where I live. I've tried to learn via dvd, but it isn't easy because you move around so much.  It's hard to look over your shoulder to see what you're supposed to be doing and keep with the flow.

We've been caught up with afternoon thunderstorms the past three days and dense cold fog yesterday, so I haven't done any running since getting drenched on Friday. We did do some hiking in a couple of nice parks in Wisconsin. We got lucky since there was free entry this weekend instead of the usual $11 fee for out of state visitors.  We got soaked walking through wet woods, but it was pretty and we saw some nice waterfalls.

Zelanie

Z - I can't imagine trying to race in those conditions.  Did they cancel the race or cut it short?  Good call to skip it.

The race was on the coast, so even though it is only an hour away from here, it has totally different weather.  The high over there on Saturday was 71- hotter than I'd prefer for a marathon, but much nicer than the 100 that it was here.

Are you guys out for the summer, then?

I ran 6 today on the TM before things got too ridiculously hot here.  Then I went to see Sweeney Todd.