Beginners and Beyond

Which Garmin to choose? (Read 365 times)

LRB

...Really though, I think you'll be very happy with whatever model you get.  I don't see a lot of people complaning about their Garmins. 

That is a great point, but should have been really doe.  Wink

While the 610 is recommended over it, I chose the 410 w/HRM for one reason....well, actually 149 reasons.  Because that's what it cost shipped to my door!

I did an exhaustive search and for the money, the 410 could not be beat.  For me that is.

I will likely never use all of its seemingly unending features, but it's nice to have a unit that can be as sophisticated, or as basic as one needs.

I am still getting used to the bezel and some of its functions, but that would be true of any new electronic device cell phone, TV, etc.

And the look of the thing is really underrated.  I own about a dozen or so watches and for what it is,  it's a fine looking piece in its own right.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I vote 210 because I love the awesome limited edition color Smile

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-GF210SE.html

that's a good reason, right?

xor

People complain about their garmins all. the. time.

My garmin locked up, what do I do?

My race was long because my garmin says so.

I can't get my garmin to upload data.

It isn't as waterproof as I thought it was.

The touch bezel sucks.

Why won't my garmin acquire satellites properly.

The altimeter readings of my garmin are funky.

Etc.

I like my garmin fine and "everybody's doing it", but message boards are littered with garmin chatter.  If nothing else, you will learn the three-button salute to reset it sooner or later.

There is a thread about this and lots of other gadgetry out in the main lobby ...."Gears and Wears"...you should see it when the RA forum site comes up.

delicate flower

You know I would have bought that for you....

<3

Nevrgivup

I've got my eye on the 210 model. I don't like a lot of bells and whistles and I need it to be as simple as possible. I look forward to looking for one soon. Mountainbiker- Love the color of that one. Personally, I want one in pink or purple. Does anyone know if they come in those colors?

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Jess runs for bacon

I've got my eye on the 210 model. I don't like a lot of bells and whistles and I need it to be as simple as possible. I look forward to looking for one soon. Mountainbiker- Love the color of that one. Personally, I want one in pink or purple. Does anyone know if they come in those colors?

I think the 10 is the only one that comes in pink.

Nevrgivup

I think the 10 is the only one that comes in pink.

Bummer. I just sent DH a link for a black one to his email. I'll probably buy it myself, but it would be so nice to get from Santa. 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

not yet......

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

I have the 205 and will probably get the 310XT once this dies.

Pay attention to the GPS portion of  the system.  GPS is GLOBAL positioning system but some of the newer models are regional and not global as in if you buy the US model they will only work in the US so you cannot take it to another country on vacation except maybe Mexico and Canada.

meaghansketch

Word of caution about the 610 (though I love mine):

The pin that attaches the watch face to the strap started coming out on mine about 3 months after I got it.  I am sure I could send it back but I figured I would just crazy glue it in place so it didn't keep falling out (though I keep forgetting to do this).  The first time this happened it fell right off my wrist onto the road.  I have heard this happening for other people-- if you google 'garmin 610 strap' you will get a number of similar complaints.  I still love mine and all the features, and if I had to make the choice again I would make the same one.  It's just a little disappointing for a piece of equipment that's so expensive.

I have the Garmin 410.  I have had it for a little over a year now.  I bought it to replace my 205, which was having battery problems and I kept breaking the band on ...
                          I am not a fan of the whole touch bevel concept at all.  However, I have never really had any problems with the touch bevel on my 410.  And to be entirely honest, after I set up my watch in the beginning, I rarely even use the touch bevel: I lock my watch and have it scroll through the screens I want. So if there was a significant price difference between the 610 and 410, I would buy the 410. 

Run Like a Mother

I have had my 310xt with HRM for about 3 years.  Awesome, awesome, awesome.  Probably the little feature I love the most (and I wouldn't buy another Garmin without it) is the vibrating alerts.  I believe the 610 also has vibrating alerts.  I just can't hear the beeps most of the time.  And if I do listen to music on a run I need the vibration to alert me.  Oh, and it is completely waterproof.  And the battery lasts forever.  Maybe forever is a slight exaggeration, but it has superior battery life compared to other Garmins.  I also love the big screen, but it doesn't feel at all big on my wrist, and I have small wrists.  I just love it.

Linda

B-Plus

I really hope my 405 dies soon so I can buy this.

Have a 210 and very happy with it.