Beginners and Beyond

A mini-tour w/photos of Medina River Natural Area in San Antonio (Read 50 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I followed up my Diploma Dash 5K  on March 2, 2013 by going on Sunday morning, March 3rd,  to Medina River Natural area - http://wildtexas.com/texas-parks/medina-river-natural-area - a San Antonio park near on the South Side of San Antonio near the Toyota Tundra truck manufacturing plant.  I haven't been there for a few months and forgot how peaceful it is to run and walk out there.  I ended up doing a run/walk of an hour and 5 minutes, stopping every so often to take some photos.  The park has both cement paved trails and natural trails and I did a combination of both.

I started by going from one of the trailheads down a cement paved trail

Which took me to one of the scenic overlooks of the Medina River.

Then it was onto one of the unpaved trail routes, which gave nice views along the way of the river and the trails and surrounding woods

I came to a trail intersection.  Left takes me back to the original trailhead.  Right takes me up to another cement paved trail.

I chose to go right and ran up these log steps to the cement trail above

Then it was down the winding cement paved trail for a while...

Then down this winding part of the trail...

Looking back up from the bottom...

Then more winding trail for a while...

Until I came to a winding uphill portion...

Ran up to the top and then took a couple of photos looking down

Then I went back the way I came until I returned to the natural trails and enjoyed these last two views before I ran nonstop back to the parking area trailheads

This is just one of the many off-road parks in our area that those of us who live in the San Antonio area get to enjoy with a walk, hike, run, or bike outing.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

Nice scenery!  Surprising not to see a  million people in your pics.  Must have been peaceful, sure looked it!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Beautiful! I have never run anywhere like this....looks so peaceful and lovely!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

So pretty!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Very cool, Scotty. Were there any critters in there?

Zelanie

Looks very peaceful!  Thanks for sharing the photos!

Luke79

NICE.  Thanks for sharing Mr. Scotty.

Wed I am taking a group of 7th graders to the Alamo. There is a letter from Travis that he sent from therebefore the battle started. Should be pretty neat. Although those trails look more fun Smile

What races are you doing this weekend?

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wed I am taking a group of 7th graders to the Alamo. There is a letter from Travis that he sent from therebefore the battle started. Should be pretty neat. Although those trails look more fun Smile

What races are you doing this weekend?

Yeah, that letter has been all over the news here in San Antonio.  You're going to be here for just one day?

Still looking at races for the weekend - we have a BUNCH of races around here for March - here is our races calendar: http://www.centexruns.com/index.php/march-2013-events/ - but I think I will end up doing the Mardi Gras fun run in New Braunfels.

I was thinking about doing the PetCo one on Sunday, March 10...but they want $45 for a 5K!  That is a bit steep for me for a 5K.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

I am The Tortoise

What an awesome run! Wish we had something like that around here.

happylily

Very beautiful, Scotty!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Rungry!

What a wonderful place to run! Thanks for sharing with us, Mr. Dawg.

Jen

cool pics Scotty.  You're lucky to have a place like that to run.

Coastal

Thanks for sharing, Scotty!