Beginners and Beyond

Penguins Wearing Hats Monday (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

January 12 is National Hat Day!  Personally, I hate wearing hats....

OK, maybe now I can fly....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Although I live in San Antonio, I am NOT a Cowboys fan. So I thought the game was GREAT! Better luck next year, Cowboys...but I hope NOT! BTW, the KENS-5 sports guy on the our local news this  morning of Jan 12 reported that the REF overturned the call. This is mistaken..it was the REPLAY official who overturned the call...and CORRECTLY per all the sports analysts, because, "as the rule is written" it was not a catch. Maybe Jerry Jones and other owners can get that rule re-written for next year...but for this year....too late! Now the Cowboys know how the Lions feel! Get over it, and move on.

Saturday did 3.5 miles at Fort Sam Houston.  36 degrees, slight drizzle, feels-like temp of 34.   Did have a long-sleeved shirt and base layer, but I also wore shorts....which for we South Texans in 36 degree weather is called 'braving the cold', lol.   Sunday, the sun actually started peeking out.  I waited till about 11 a.m. and then did 3.5 miles of hills around my neighborhood.   Weather was pretty nice too...42 degrees, feels like 42 degrees, no wind.     Today is a rest day and going home after work and watching Oregon and Ohio State.  I am usually an Ohio State fan, but I'd like to see Oregon win this one, they have not been there in so long....have they ever even won a National Championship?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Scott and Pens.  Health club for me today. Running RD.  21 miles last week was good for being indoors.

Congrats Docket for completing the Goofy Challenge.  Amazing !!!!

Have a great week.

on my way to badass

Good Monday Scotty, Jerry and Penguins! Thanks for starting us off Scotty. Enjoy the RD Jerry! I'm shooting for 5 today. Over the weekend I only did minimal streak runs.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Back at work today after the Goofy Challenge weekend.  Ran the half with my husband and ran the marathon solo, getting a post surgery PR and my fastest in two years.

RD for me today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Congrats to DR! Smile

DD has her driver's test today, then afterwards I will either call it a RD or run 8.  We'll see.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I've had a shitload of tiny annoyances this morning that have added up to me wanting to murder someone.  Anyone, really.  So I warned my tech to leave me alone and I'm listening to Chakra meditation music.  Maybe it'll help.  I guess it all started when I woke up and it was pouring, so I checked the school closings, but my local schools weren't delayed (which is what I follow when deciding to head to work).  So I got up and got in the shower.  By the time I got out, schools were delayed 2 hours.  Seriously, you couldn't make that decision half an hour earlier so I could go back to bed?  Oh well.  Oh, and I made SPECTACULAR hamburgers for dinner last night, but they gave me truly wicked heartburn.  

Scotty -- DH was happy about Seattle.  That's the extent of my football knowledge for the weekend!

Jerryb -- have fun at the health club!!

Stone -- Have a good 5!!

Docket -- glad you had an awesome weekend!!

Zelanie -- best of luck to DD, and have a good whichever afterwards!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  Still having weird joint and muscle pain today.  Going to do a bit of stationary bike, a bit of strength training, and a bit of yoga.  Hoping to be able to run tomorrow.  I think that streaking made me throw my yoga-ing to the wayside and that has led me to tight muscles and joint pain.  Gotta get back in balance.  I'm sure the 5 lbs of extra weight I'm hauling around right now aren't doing anything to help the joint issues.

HM on the 25th - last week was my crappiest week in months - only 12.7 miles -- completely fell off my training plan.  I guess I'll just climb back onto it now and hope for the best.

Hey Zel - make sure you have your insurance card in the car =P  My mom had the insurance card for her other car in the car I was to take my test in.  I wasn't allowed to take the test and had to schedule for the next opening a week or two later.

Congrats DR!

SF - good luck on the 5

Scotty - do your neighbors want to kill you because of your football preference?

Jerry - enjoy your RD

HsM - I usually try to go for a walk when I get in that "I want to kill someone" state

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

obiebyke

Morning, everyone. Amazing job, Damaris!

Today feels crazy. It's my first day at my new teaching job, I need to take one of my cats to the vet to stay overnight before her dental tomorrow () and I have meditation tonight. Sooooo, maybe I'll get 3 miles in and maybe I won't.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

PADRunner

Morning all! RD for me today.

Congrats D!

Singer who runs a smidge

HsM - I usually try to go for a walk when I get in that "I want to kill someone" state

Pouring rain all day.  I'm listening to ocean wave sounds.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

Congrats Damaris!

5 with Bella before it started raining. I got a pretty good pic on my tail race over the weekend. I had a blast, and if you've never tried a trail race, you should, it's so fun.

Docket_Rocket

Great race pic!

Thanks, guys.  RR is up.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Congrats, Damaris!  You rock!

Scotty, Jerry, Damaris, PAD, enjoy the rest day.

Mitch, great pic!

Zel and Obie, whether you rest or run, do it with all your heart. Smile

Hopesmom, enjoy the soothing rain. Smile

SF, have a good 5.

8.2 MP tempo run done for me this morning.  I'm a little depressed to think that I need to do that 3 times in a row on marathon day.

Singer who runs a smidge

From DH, found while cleaning: