Beginners and Beyond

Today is Someday Penguins (Read 13 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Good morning procrastinating penguins. The holiday today is Someday. That’s right folks, the day of reckoning has arrived. Someday is here, and it’s time to do all of those petty tasks that you said you would get around to “someday”.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Seems like someday is quite a fearsome day.

Today I've got 7 miles planned.  I got my new K5s in the mail and I was thinking about running it with them, but I think I'll try them out on a shorter streak run first.  They feel decent when I walk around in them, but they make me realize for sure that my left ankle isn't fully healed yet or healed a bit weird from my sprain last year.  My left ankle doesn't "hurt" wearing them, but it definitely feels strange.  I"ll have to see what happens when I run with them.

Allison - I saw your adjusted HM time - so awesome :-)  What's your next race?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 6 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning !

Short run and beer run this afternoon.  Suggestions?

Docket_Rocket

Good Morning !

Short run and beer run this afternoon.  Suggestions?

About what?  Beers or miles?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Morning, 7 done this morning.

I'm going to a baseball game tonight to see a member of my running group get an award. She won first female in the Texas Rangers Labor Day 5k with a 19:51. They give the awards out at home plate before the game. I run with a fast crowd.

Brilliant

Someday, uh oh.  I have quite a todoist list.  

Jill, hurray for new shoes!  I hope you get a nice 7-miler done in new shoes or old.   Next up for me is a 5k on Oct 3 (haven't done any speed training lately so not sure how that will go) and another HM on Oct 11, in which I hopefully will get a true PR!  Do you have an HM before your marathon?

Jerry, New Belgium Pumpkick is kinda fun.  Tastes like you couldn't decide between a beer and a pumpkin spice latte.

Good morning, D!  Have a great run & pilates.

PAD, have fun hanging out with your team tonight!  Are you a Rangers fan?  We used to attend games 20 years ago, back in the day of Kenny Rogers, Jose Canseco, and Pudge Rodriguez.  

I had 4 planned with my club this morning but woke up to the sound of rain.  It's pouring out there!  2 friends have already texted me that they aren't going.  I imagine nobody will show up.  So maybe I will get a run in on my own later.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Allison - I have a HM on October 4th.  I'm not sure if I should "race" it to try to figure out marathon pacing or just do it as a long supported run at what I think MP will be.  I also have an 18 mile tuneup race this Sunday which I'm 100% doing as a supported training run.  I think that racing 18 miles right now would not be good for my training.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Hey guys.  Plugging away.  Got 10 planned for tonight, and a friend to run with me.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - I like Sam Adams Oktoberfest.  Have fun this afternoon.

sapf - I read an article recently that said the biggest determinant of injury is shoe comfort.  If the shoe doesn't feel right, return it.  Racing your HM, especially without a taper, will give you a better idea of what you can expect at your marathon.  Right now your pace is based on shorter races, or races done before you started your intense training.  Better to have a realistic idea of how you do when you're more tired.  I agree though, I wouldn't race the 18 right now.

Allison - what's your new time?  Hurray for rain.  I know you need it.  Hope you get your run in anyway.

D - enjoy your 6 and P tonight.

PAD - good job on the 7.  Have fun at the game.  Nice to see friends in the limelight.

Z- enjoy your social 10 tonight.

AFM:  We're warming up again this week, so I hope to get my run in before we go back up into the mid-80s.  At least the DP is low.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! 3.5 mile recovery shuffle for me followed by another 0.7 miles walk. I'll find out when I try to run tomorrow whether that was good for me or too much too soon - this is the most I've run over 2 consecutive days since I started running again, so tomorrow may turn into a walk if need be.

Busy couple days. Husband is home with the kid today, septic is getting pumped this afternoon, kid's new surprise bunk bed will be delivered tomorrow, and I have to figure out pet sitting for the weekend today since we'll be in Maine Friday afternoon through Sunday morning. I think we're going to hire a professional - husband was going to look into boarding the dog, but I really don't know who I could ask to check in on the cats so it might work out better just to have someone come in and take care of all 3 of them since our dog is super low-maintenance.

Brilliant

4 rainy miles done.  I never ever run in the rain. It was nice!

Zel, have a good 10.

Ginny, hope you got a nice run in.  My official adjusted time is 2:11:28.  

Lauren, I hope you find a good solution for your pets.  My pup is always traumatized when we leave him. 

Jill, I now see those races in your sig!    I think your HM is far enough from your marathon that you should give it a race effort.  That's what I would do.  (but I agree with you that you do not want to race the 18 miler!)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Was going to run this evening, but the morning was so nice, went for an early-lunch run. 5K distance done around the campus of the university where I work; felt great! Sweeet.

Well, the Giants lost, and the Eagles lost last night (yay!), so at least, aside from the Damn Dallas Cowboys, all the other NFC East teams are in the basement with my Redskins. For now, anyway.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

We ran (walk/ran) 6 including a bridge.  We have to alter the intervals a bit so DRP can walk in the shade.  Cancelled the beer run as DW bought a 12 pack of Goose Island 312 Wheat Ale.  Should pair well with hot dogs tonight.

hog4life

Hey Penguins, my foot is sprained according to my work PCP. I want an x-ray for reassurance, so trying to set that up for Thursday afternoon so I don't have to miss work. He advised that I not run for a week or so to allow for some healing.