Beginners and Beyond

My Little Runner (short RR) (Read 65 times)

catwhoorg

Labrat

Last weekend I participated in the Maria's Spring Fling a local 3/6 hour race around a 2/3rds of a mile trail.The RD  puts it on in honour of his daughter, and its a fundraiser for Epilepsy research. Everyone gets a purple wristband in the race packet.

I had chosen the 3 hour option, as it better fits my current fitness (and I could count it as a "Half Fanatics eligible" race assuming I did at least 13.1 miles). As a relatively late addition, the RD added a 1 hour option for kids. I thought this was a great idea, and DW agreed. She signed up for the 3 hour (2nd wave) and we signed Abigail up for the 1 hour.

I have been battling shoulder tendonitis since December, and for a while there every step was painful. I am very much over the hump of the problem, its not 100% but certainly I can run without pain (just a little discomfort). I have battled through a few HMs this Spring, but this was the first race that I felt I could do my current fitness justice.

Ah current fitness ... it seems like a distant dream that I could run near 8 min miles for an extended period of time (8:08 was my average pace for a HM in November). So knowing the trail from last year, I set a realistic goal of 15-16 miles for the 3 hours.

I set off at a slightly faster than goal pace, and actually led the race for most of the first lap. I remained in second place on the trail for the next lap, then was passed by a few folks on the 3rd. Held my pace pretty well for the whole first hour, then as the temperatures started rising I started taking in some water every couple of laps. I took my first extended walk break at 2 hours which lasted a few min, then was back into the rhythm. For the last ~45 mins I adopted to policy of walking in the sunny areas, and running in the shade. The temperature was climbing,and I wasn't acclimated. I was never in any danger of getting really overheated, but I was being cautious.

With about 10 mins to go I crossed the start/finish line and saw DW and DD, telling them one more lap. I ran almost all this lap to ensure it counted and finished with a few mins to spare. Changed my shirt, took off my number and lined up again as a 'pacer' for DD. I figured she would walk 1 maybe 2 laps. DW set off at her walking pace, and DD and I followed along a little slower. She mixed in running and walking, got the idea of 'tucking in' to avoid the adult runners very quickly, and was pushing me off the path when she saw people coming from behind.

After 2 laps, we got water and DD decided she wanted some snacks, and chose gummy bears. We walked a refueled, then she set off at a gallop, as she realised the quicker she got the next alp, the quicker she could have more snacks. So we stopped again at the aid station for the 4th lap. We were well past an hour at this point, but as long as she was having fun the RD was fine with us keeping going.

After 4 laps (2.6 miles) she had had enough. Not bad for a 2.5 year old. So proud of her for running further than her age. I really didn't expect that. She had a blast the whole time, and suprised not only her parents, but most of the other runners (the 6 hour guys and gals) with her determination to just keep moving.

After the color run the weekend before where she was mostly in the stroller, she was so proud of having her own race number. Its my intention to frame it with a couple of pictures so she has a permanant keepsake of her very first race number.

Picture

In November there is the 6/12 hour version on the same loop, and the RD just announced he is adding a 1 hour group for that race as well. We will be back as a family for that (I'm probably doing the 12 hour again). DW and DD will probably both do the 1 hour so she has someone with her the whole time.

As a bonus, when the results came out I took 2nd overall, the overall winner was just a couple of laps ahead of me (I got chicked!!), and I was the best male.. Next Spring I may just shoot for 30 laps (I got 25), and be in with a shout at winning the overall.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Docket_Rocket

Great job!

And awwwww!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

#artbydmcbride

2.5 years old!!!  She is adorable!   A mini ultrarunner!

...oh yeah, congrats on 1st male win.....

Runners run

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Man, those 2.5 year olds sure have lots of energy!

Congrats on 1st Male award!

- Andrew

LRB

Cool yo!

Love the Half

Excellent.  I recently ran my first race (3/4 mile) with my 4 year old and it was a blast.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Pinktastic

Congrats on a great race!  You did really well!   I love that your whole family participated!   Big congrats to your DD - definitely something to be proud of!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Rondog65

Sounds like a very precious moment, congrats to all!

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

tracilynn

Cutest minion ever!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Wow, so cute, and sounds like she has racing in her genes! Smile

Congrats on winning first male, too, not too shabby!

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Best RR ever.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

happylily

OMG has she ever grown! What a beautiful little girl! She did just great, there is no way in hell that I could get my 16 year old son to willingly run 2.6 miles... And bravo on your own performance that day, Richard. Quite impressive!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

HobbitLegs

elevenses

I love this RR! Your DD is absolutely adorable. It looks like it was a lovely day all around. Congrats to your family!