Beginners and Beyond

Talk to me about what you do in between training cycles! (Read 40 times)

From the Internet.

Jumping on the training questions bandwagon with a non-training training question Smile

After my goal HM on May 17th I'm planning to take a week or two of recovery/downtime, maybe race a 5K with my newly increased mileage base, and then I'll have a couple of months to maintain/maybe build my base up a bit more before I start marathon training. However, I don't necessarily want to drop out ALL quality work during this time. I did that over the winter and I started HM training feeling very sluggish, it was a struggle to get back to running faster paces. What do you all do when in maintenance and/or base building mode without a race on the immediate agenda?

I'm thinking at this point I'll do something like one not-super-taxing weekly workout - a shortish fast workout (maybe 2.5-3 miles total of intervals) alternating with a tempo of some kind - strides once a week, and then maybe dropping some MP miles into the long run if/when I feel like it. Too much, not enough?

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

What is this 'in-between' thing you speak of?

I typically go from training to race to active recovery and back into training.  (many non-goal races happen during training)

As far as when I truly had a downtime it was post Marathon - I had a bitch of a time, mentally resetting and getting my head back into it.  Alas that might be marathoning or just me and marathoning.

onemile

I generally drop my quality work but try to maintain 50mpw (after the initial recovery period).

Love the Half

If you aren't seriously training for something, it's a great time to put in some big miles.  You will want to toss in some quality speed work during that time but just don't do quite as much and don't do it as frequently.  I think what you're suggesting in terms of that speed work is spot on.  Those extra miles you put in will pay dividends when you start doing hard training again because you'll have a better ability to finish workouts.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Training is pretty much the same with the exception of dropping race specific workouts, i.e. I don't have a goal race pace so all my speed work is more generic and effort based rather than specifically pace oriented.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

B-Plus

ESU

Zelanie

What I am trying to do is just pay attention to what I feel like I need the most, week by week, and schedule one quality workout a week to address that. Then I have a mileage target, which I'm also adjusting to whatever I feel like is the highest number I'm able to do and maintain at the moment.

LRB

After a week or two of easyness (or up to four after the stupid marathon) I get back to 2 speed work sessions a week and a long run. Although at that point my long run may be as short as 8 to 10 miles, and I might skip a Tuesday speed session here and there.

This regimen has worked great for me. I am comfortable with it whether I am training for a race or not and the continued familiarity with current training paces helps to set me up for my next attempt at a huge PR.

So my answer to your question is; I train between training cycles.

PADRunner

I was wondering about this today. What would I need to do to just maintain my current level of fitness.

From the Internet.

Thanks for the input/opinions folks! Smile

B-P I'm already a champion at ESU, haha.

If you aren't seriously training for something, it's a great time to put in some big miles.  You will want to toss in some quality speed work during that time but just don't do quite as much and don't do it as frequently.  I think what you're suggesting in terms of that speed work is spot on.  Those extra miles you put in will pay dividends when you start doing hard training again because you'll have a better ability to finish workouts.

That's really what I'd like to do, how many miles will depend on how cooperative my legs are - the mind is willing but the flesh is spongy and weak! If I can use that time to get comfortable around 50 mpw before starting marathon training that would be amazing, I'm thinking ~42-45 is probably more realistic but who knows. Good to hear that the speed work plan is reasonable.

LRB - maintaining familiarity with training paces is exactly what I'm after.