Beginners and Beyond

What does a 50 mile week look like? (Read 210 times)

Goorun

You've been sick and you still manage to run over 100 miles?! Holy moly! If you hadn't been sick, what would your weekly mileage be like now? And if your shorter LR of the week is 18-21, what is the second one like? Do you go up to, or over, 26 miles?

I know you will do fantastic, Goo, I have no doubt about that. But most of all, I hope YOU think you did fantastic as well!

Big grin I'm OK now so 100+ mpw. When I was sick in January I actually *gulp* took a week off.

My Tuesday LRs are 18- 21 and Saturday LRs are 20-25. I don't go over 25 miles in training now. I will after Boston when I'll start training for Canadian Death Race.

As far as the second part goes I'm like you Wink I NEVER think that it is good enough.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Goorun

Feel better.  It gives me perspective too.  When I have a bad asthma week and I can still run 52mpw, instead of being angry I didn't run 60, I should have the same reaction (that I'm glad I can run 50+ even with bad asthma).

I'm good. It was a really nasty flu. At least it's not permanent like your asthma. It's amazing how much you run AND race with it.

happylily

Big grin I'm OK now so 100+ mpw. When I was sick in January I actually *gulp* took a week off.

My Tuesday LRs are 18- 21 and Saturday LRs are 20-25. I don't go over 25 miles in training now. I will after Boston when I'll start training for Canadian Death Race.

As far as the second part goes I'm like you Wink I NEVER think that it is good enough.

Goo, you are simply amazing... That you can still train that way, at your age (not that you're old at all, but you know what I mean :-)), is simply so impressive. I will be at least a good hour behind you on April 15th (and more, because of the staggered starts), but I will be sending you good vibes for a strong finish and a sub-2:30 (I think that's what you're going for?). Go Canada!!! Go Goo!!! Cool

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I was wondering if someone would tell me this Smile  I was more interested about the role of the LR when in maintenance mode.  I've only ever been in base building mode with the goal of maybe attempting a half late this spring.  The thought of doing a 20 mile run every week seems a little daunting.  I guess if and when I get there that feeling will be different.  Right?

Why would a 20 mile run even be in the picture? An LR of 15 miles would be more appropriate. I've run as much as 98 miles in a week and I have only 1 training run over 18 miles in my entire 45 years of running, and that wasn't planned or part of a high mileage (70+) week.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Well, race is too strong a word for what I do. Wink

I'm good. It was a really nasty flu. At least it's not permanent like your asthma. It's amazing how much you run AND race with it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I'm ok now. Frustrating part is that there is not enough time till Boston, so I won't be ready for a good race.

First world problems. Wink

We seem to keep running into the same problems. I feel like I'm finally healthy, but not exactly ready for a half-marathon Sunday, and certainly not a marathon in five weeks.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

happylily

We seem to keep running into the same problems. I feel like I'm finally healthy, but not exactly ready for a half-marathon Sunday, and certainly not a marathon in five weeks.

Which marathon are you doing in 5 weeks, Adam? Ah, yes, Paris... now I remember... :-) I keep thinking you're back in Ontario. Lucky bugger... Can't wait for your RR. You always have great pics and stories to share with us. :-)

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Which marathon are you doing in 5 weeks, Adam? Ah, yes, Paris... now I remember... :-) I keep thinking you're back in Ontario. Lucky bugger... Can't wait for your RR. You always have great pics and stories to share with us. :-)

Yup, it's Paris in five weeks. And I take the train to Paris tonight for the Half-Marathon on Sunday morning. There will be a race report, but not many pictures this time because I'm going to actually run it hardBig grin. Provided my legs aren't still dead from my stupid decision to run 55 minutes hard on Wednesday night to try and help me choose what pace to go for this weekend.

Edit: I feel like you'd find this story amusing... yesterday in my French class someone asked what "les gosses" were and I started laughing when the prof said "it's slang for 'kids'.... but make sure you don't say it in Québec".

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

happylily

Yup, it's Paris in five weeks. And I take the train to Paris tonight for the Half-Marathon on Sunday morning. There will be a race report, but not many pictures this time because I'm going to actually run it hardBig grin. Provided my legs aren't still dead from my stupid decision to run 55 minutes hard on Wednesday night to try and help me choose what pace to go for this weekend.

Edit: I feel like you'd find this story amusing... yesterday in my French class someone asked what "les gosses" were and I started laughing when the prof said "it's slang for 'kids'.... but make sure you don't say it in Québec".

LOL!!! That made me laugh out loud! Thanks for sharing. Big grin And good luck with your half this Sunday! Go show those weaklings what Canadians are made of! :-)

Probably not, but that is very common with elite runners (running purposely on tired legs). I still do two LRs per week. The shorter one (18 - 21 miles) on Tuesday after very hard double on Monday.

Your week is surprising to me considering that you run a lot of ultras,

---Well, to begin, I haven't run alot of ultras, in fact I have only run 2.  But I do certainly PLAN to run alot of ultras this year.   :-)

---I am new to the game of ultra running, so I am curious as to why you think my week is surprising considering my (plan to) run ultras...   If you see some weakness in how I have been running in prep for upcoming 24-hour duration races, please let me know some changes that I might want to make :-)

((( In looking at my own schedule for what I feel are weaknesses, I think my biggest deficiency is not enough of the Really long run, IE.  I don't have enough runs iin the 15 to 25 mile range.)))...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

TxDiverMom

I don't know if I'll ever have time for that kind of mileage.  I don't know how some people put up triple digits.

I think the same thing.  They are obviously much faster than I am.  I'd be doing nothing but running!

Goorun

Why would a 20 mile run even be in the picture? An LR of 15 miles would be more appropriate. I've run as much as 98 miles in a week and I have only 1 training run over 18 miles in my entire 45 years of running, and that wasn't planned or part of a high mileage (70+) week.

+1

LR is important part of marathon training, but over all mileage is more important than length of your LR. 15 miles would be maximum I would recommend for 50 mpw. A lot of people struggle with LRs, because they run LRs which are too long for their OA mileage and fitness level. If you are training for a marathon and doing it right way, LRs should be the easy part of your training.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I think the same thing.  They are obviously much faster than I am.  I'd be doing nothing but running!

Look, when you're as old as Goo you there aren't too many options left.  Run a whole bunch or sit around whittling.

You people have issues 

I don't know if I'll ever have time for that kind of mileage.  I don't know how some people put up triple digits.

+1

The first battle for me would be convincing my wife, who already thinks I run a crazy amount when I don't put up half as many miles as some here. The second would be to figure out a schedule to get extra running days in & keep the cross training. I like to do yoga 2-3x/wk, run 4-5x. Actually just did both on the same day for the first time, back-to-back. Worked out nicely other than making me 45 minutes late to work.

The third battle of course would be getting my body to run a very large number of miles.

Dave

Goorun

---Well, to begin, I haven't run alot of ultras, in fact I have only run 2.  But I do certainly PLAN to run alot of ultras this year.   :-)

---I am new to the game of ultra running, so I am curious as to why you think my week is surprising considering my (plan to) run ultras...   If you see some weakness in how I have been running in prep for upcoming 24-hour duration races, please let me know some changes that I might want to make :-)

((( In looking at my own schedule for what I feel are weaknesses, I think my biggest deficiency is not enough of the Really long run, IE.  I don't have enough runs iin the 15 to 25 mile range.)))...

This is the week you posted earlier :

Mon: 10 Miles (Easy)

Tue:  2 Miles (Speed Drill)

Wed: 5 Miles (Easy)

Thu:  2 Miles (Tempo)

Fri:    5 Miles (Easy)

Sat:   3.1 Miles (a 5K, max race speed)

Sun:  15  Miles (Easy long run)

That would be not bad for training for 1/2 marathon, but counter productive for ultras. Those 2 mile days will do nothing for your ultras. There is not enough long , easy running there IMO. If you want to stay in 50 mpw range I would recommend something like this :

Mon: 12 Miles (Easy progression run, starting slower than your marathon race pace ending at your 1/2 marathon race pace)

Tue:  day off

Wed: 6 miles (Easy with 6- 10 x 100 meters strides)

Thu:  6 Miles (Progression run starting at your 1/2 marathon race pace ending at your 5k race pace)

Fri:    day off

Sat:   10-12 Miles (same as Monday)

Sun:  16  Miles (Easy long run)

You would do a lot of running in 3 days (Sat - Mon) with the rest of the week recovery + an easy run + a day of faster, but shorter  running.

This is not how I would lay out marathon training ! This is for ultras.