Beginners and Beyond

It's Sunday, any Penguins racing? (Read 32 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Accidentally raced this morning for about 1/4 of a mile.  I started my run this morning at Tower of The Americas in downtown San Antonio.  Nobody around me at all. Next thing I know I am surrounded by about 2 people running and wearing numbers.  I chatted with one runner and she told me they were doing a 'graduation 5K" training race.  Apparently they are all beginners who trained for so many weeks  with group runs 5K training plan put on by a local running store and this was their 'graduation 5K" as they have completed all their training and next week they will all be doing an ACTUAL race, a local 5K being held here in town.  Where I was chatting with her this morning, she told me they had about a mile to go to the finish.  I wished her luck and diverted off of the 'course" and onto the San Antonio Riverwalk.  Ended up with 3.2 miles.  My last mile I met another runner who has been visiting all week and is leaving for his home tomorrow.  He's been running all over San Antonio, exploring, and said he likes it here, nice running in my town.  We ran my last mile together.  He is much faster than me, but I decided what the heck, I was feeling good and would see how long I could keep up with him.  My training runs, I normally run about 11 - 12 minute mile, 5K yesterday that I did, I averaged 10:53 per mile.  My last mile today was 9:55 - GASP GASP GASP! - keeping pace with this guy, and I did manage to stay with him all the way - but I think he could have gone even faster, and was actually being easy on me. Joking  Nice guy, we had a nice chat. He plans on returning to San Antonio in the future, so I gave him my work number and we'll get together for another run on his return visit.

Dang, Vance, that weather sounds heavenly.  I was on the Riverwalk this morning at 7:30 a.m.  It was 78 degrees, with a 'feels like temp" of 83, humidity of  82%, and a dew point of 72.  After I finished, I sat at a picnic table at one of the pavilions in HemisFair Park and by the time I got up, there was a little lake of sweat on the ground under me.   Congrats on your trail run, but sorry about the tender AT.

Way to go on the half-marathon distance, Bin.  Sorry about the calf, though.

Or, maybe, Jerry, you old man you, the doc will say time for a hip replacement.  Shocked  Wink  I hope not!  Hope you get some good news.

No races cuz it's too dangerous; and yet, Damaris, there you are, out there running.  Roll eyes  Glad you survived, crazy lady!

Hope Traci and her hubby are enjoying the kayak outing!

Way to rock your miles, Kristin!  Relaxing at the pool sounds very nice.

Dang, Coralie, sounds like your household needs some major drugs!  And a plastic bubble completely surrounding the house to quarantine y'all from everyone else! Wink  Hope you and yours feel better soon!   Nice buy on the shoes!

Congrats on your morning run, Zelanie.  You'll figure it out.  My preference is not to be a morning runner either, but with these dang Texas summers and my work schedule, sometimes morning is the only option.  Just keep experimenting with different things, you'll figure out what works for you and what does not for your morning runs.

Awood, you are getting in some real quality running lately!  Congrats!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Amazonian Princess

Just got back from the West Valley Dash of Hope 5k, not sure of my time because I forgot to stop my app but it felt like a better run than I've had in a bit. During the race there was a gal with a ponytail that I "targeted" and after the second mile I passed her. Then, whenever I heard feet behind me I'd speed up. In the last 75 yards of the race I was huffing and puffing along when another runner came up fast. I tried, but he outkicked me and afterwards walked over to talk to me to say his only goal was to pass me ("the lady in the pink top") - how funny that someone cared about passing my fluffy biscuit Big grin

MIL is visiting from out of state so my personal time is over - have a great day!

I can. I will. I am. 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Dang Scotty, you meet more runners in 1 day than I have ever met running up here.  Must be that Texas hospitality.  Wink

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I hope I'm not too late, and that if I get through some personals that people haven't already checked out for the night...lol

N-Bug - It was supposed to be cooler here, and for whatever reason it only happened in the mornings.  The rest of the day has been just as hot or hotter.  Meteorologists are missing the mark.  As for neck and back stiffness, mine is usually from sleeping or working at the kitchen counter too much.  Luckily it hasn't been a problem lately.  My only suggestion would be to make sure that you're relaxed when you're running.  I see people all of the time that tense up at the shoulders when they're running, and I'm sure that has a lasting effect.

Bin - Good mileage.  I hope the sleeve helps.  My achiles was a bit tight this morning, but it loosened right up.  Hopefully your calf will do the same.

Jerry - I'm sure the emphasis will be on gradually.  I know that most of us runners hate that word, but its weird how well it works.

Damaris - It's funny how you point out that it's too dangerous, right after you tell us about your 14 miles with 4 at MP...lol  It just happens to be too dangerous for us mortals.  BTW, for now I'm just following my training plan.  I still have until November 2nd, but as that date gets closer you might want to hide from me if you don't feel like answering a bunch of questions about the marathon.  Ha.  There aren't too many people around that have as much marathon experience as you do.

Traci - I miss kayaking.  I used to go with my brother all of the time.  I just need to get my own kayak, and just find time to get out there.  It's so fun and peaceful at the same time.

Kristin - You're a popular running partner.  Haha.

Coralie - That's awesome that you're staying positive with everything that's going on.  I think that makes a huge difference in the long run.  Keep at it, and you'll have plenty of time to put some miles on all of those shoes.

Zel - I think some morning running is a good thing.  It's good preparation for race day.  I need my coffee pre-run though.  Not sure how you do that.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - That's awesome.  I occasionally exchange a couple of words with other runners when I'm out and about, but haven't really had an encounter like that before.  That's pretty awesome though.  Thanks for the kind words too.  I know I have 15 weeks left, but this training cycle has been going really well.  I'm feeling pretty optimistic and blessed.

Baconista - That sounds like an awesome race.  I really enjoy those situations where you know you're not just running a race, but racing.  Even if I get out-kicked at the end, I got to race somebody.  That's one of the things I really love about 5 and 10K races.  At my half marathons, I felt great about my accomplishment, but also felt like the only person I was racing was myself.  Completely different feel.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

OH OH OH...I almost forgot.  I checked the results of the race I was contemplating.  It started at 1:20 PM today.  Sounds fun, doesn't it?  No clouds, high of 90, black asphalt until you hit the fairgrounds where everything smells like animal droppings, fried foods and diesel fuel.  Perfect conditions for a PR.  Well, you guys might remember me mentioning a guy from my area that finished 67th at the Boston Marathon with a time of 2:28.  I found out that last year he ran this 5K and finished 3rd.  This year he finished second, and average 5:02 per mile.  The winner beat him by less than 3 seconds.  That would have been fun to watch.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

GinnyinPA

I couldn't wait to get outdoors again, after a week on the treadmill hiding from the heat. Unfortunately, today wasn't really a great day for my long run, after all.  We had unexpected company this morning (an old friend of my husband's from California) so I couldn't get out until 4:00.  By that time it was 84 with a DP in the low 70's.  (Felt like 90, according to my watch).  I started out okay, but the heat started to get to me after a few miles. I took a couple of water breaks and still felt nauseous.  After making a wrong turn, which would have added an extra mile or two, I gave up and called for a ride home.  I got in 8.4 miles, but don't feel good about it.  I'll try again in a couple of days

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am always available for questions.  Shoot ahead!

I hope I'm not too late, and that if I get through some personals that people haven't already checked out for the night...lol

N-Bug - It was supposed to be cooler here, and for whatever reason it only happened in the mornings.  The rest of the day has been just as hot or hotter.  Meteorologists are missing the mark.  As for neck and back stiffness, mine is usually from sleeping or working at the kitchen counter too much.  Luckily it hasn't been a problem lately.  My only suggestion would be to make sure that you're relaxed when you're running.  I see people all of the time that tense up at the shoulders when they're running, and I'm sure that has a lasting effect.

Bin - Good mileage.  I hope the sleeve helps.  My achiles was a bit tight this morning, but it loosened right up.  Hopefully your calf will do the same.

Jerry - I'm sure the emphasis will be on gradually.  I know that most of us runners hate that word, but its weird how well it works.

Damaris - It's funny how you point out that it's too dangerous, right after you tell us about your 14 miles with 4 at MP...lol  It just happens to be too dangerous for us mortals.  BTW, for now I'm just following my training plan.  I still have until November 2nd, but as that date gets closer you might want to hide from me if you don't feel like answering a bunch of questions about the marathon.  Ha.  There aren't too many people around that have as much marathon experience as you do.

Traci - I miss kayaking.  I used to go with my brother all of the time.  I just need to get my own kayak, and just find time to get out there.  It's so fun and peaceful at the same time.

Kristin - You're a popular running partner.  Haha.

Coralie - That's awesome that you're staying positive with everything that's going on.  I think that makes a huge difference in the long run.  Keep at it, and you'll have plenty of time to put some miles on all of those shoes.

Zel - I think some morning running is a good thing.  It's good preparation for race day.  I need my coffee pre-run though.  Not sure how you do that.

Damaris

Bin Running

Scotty, sounds like you have some nice running places.

Ginny, bad runs happen. Especially now that the temp is so high. Not too shabby putting in 8+ in these conditions.

After a night sleep, the calf is better.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

GinnyinPA

Vance - too bad your trail run wasn't today, when it was cooler.  Hope you enjoyed your rest day.  I get a stiff lower back sometimes - especially racing.  I think it's because I tense up too much when I'm going fast.  Neck and shoulders is probably tight arm movement.

Bin - hope your tight calf loosened up.  Do you ever do Epsom salt baths?  They help me after long runs when I'm feeling tight.

Jerry - hope your doctor is able to help tomorrow.

Damaris - good job doing your 14 with 4 at MP in that heat.  You must start very early.

Traci - I hope your kayak trip went well.  I love being out on the water, though I've never tried kayaking.  I tried to talk my husband into trying it, pre-dog, but he wasn't all that interested.

Kristin - you certainly had a nice social run.  Sounds like fun.

Coralie - I'm glad your vertigo is better, though the chest cold is bad news.  Take it easy until you can breathe well again.

Zelanie - I go nowhere without my coffee.  If nothing else, it helps keep me regular.  How soon after your breakfast did you run?  I've been waiting about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, unless it's a really long run.  Makes it hard to eat and then do an early start.

Awood - the lower mileage and faster pace were definitely linked.  I think that was a good race to miss, given the weather.

Scotty - another social run.  Sounds like fun though.  Will you be at the race next week with the graduating c25k folks?  My last 5k was mostly a group that had just finished the program.  I felt very fast that day.  Some of them were really suffering, but I think they had fun.

Baconista - sounds like a good race.  I did one in April where I was chasing a pair of red socks for about 5 miles.  I never did quite catch her, but she gave me a good run.  I did reel in several others though, which is a lot of fun.

Zelanie

Ginny- Less than an hour, maybe 30 minutes.  If I eat more I have to wait longer, and even then don't always feel right.  But just water isn't always enough, either.  The bit of cereal I have happened upon by accident twice now by grabbing a bit while I was in the kitchen for water. Wink

Bin Running

Ginny, tried it when I had shin splints the last time.. Only finished a box of salts and didn't thought of trying again.. Maybe I should reconsider..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar