Beginners and Beyond

Jingle Bell 5k (Read 35 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Summary

Not my day. 27:40.

Background

This was my second year doing this event. My main reason for signing up—it was going to be 60 degrees. In mid December. Last year when I did this race, it was in the mid 30s and overcast. So I had to take advantage of the weather.

This race used the same course as the Salute to Summer 5k I did this summer. The course starts at the Coppermine Fieldhouse/ DuBurns Arena, which is an indoor soccer stadium. After a quick run on a street that parallels the water, the course starts the climb up to Patterson Park, where you do a loop of the park, then back the way you came. It’s not a significant elevation gain, but it adds up. The section in the park is hillier than the streets.

I got down to Canton a little later than I wanted, but still had time to run just under a 1.5 mile warm up. Which was then negated by the 15 minute bathroom line. There was 1 men’s and 1 women’s room upstairs and I think 1 other single bathroom down the hall. 700+ participants, majority women. Need I say more? Fortunately, the race started a little late, as I got out of the bathroom at 8:58 and the start was on the opposite side of the building. The race management company seemed receptive to my complaint and is passing it along to the Arthritis Foundation folks for next year.

My goal going in was to better last year’s time of 26:30. Worst case was to beat my time from this summer’s race of 27:30.

Mile 1                                   8:46

With the bathroom issues, I lined up a little further back than I wanted to. I tried to squeeze past those who looked like they were out for a fun jog or walk (costumes, jeans, etc).  At the first turn, a guy running on the inside cut across the road to say hi to the cop directing traffic on the opposite side of the road. Um, ok, cut off a bunch of people. Then I got stuck behind a costume group of about 4 running across the road. I was already seriously annoyed after the bathroom line stuff; I was losing any Christmas or holiday spirit I might have had. Once I got past the costume group, there were a few kids doing the stop in the middle of the street, wait for others, stop, wait, and repeat. Ugh. Fortunately, once we turned onto the street up to Patterson Park, it thinned things out pretty quick. I was feeling ok at this point, when my Garmin beeped & vibrated for 1 mile, it was right about where I wanted to be.

Mile 2                                   9:29

This mile sucked. No other way to put it. Once in Patterson Park, it is uphill until the turnaround. I was struggling, but not too much until we started on the downhill portion. At that point, I got a horrendous side stitch on my right side. This was the type that hurts to breathe in and hurts on every footfall. I tried concentrating on my breathing, no help. I had 2 points where I had to slow to a walk with my heads over my head.       

Mile 3-Finish                     8:52, then 9:01 pace

If nothing else, at least this was better than my final mile in the Salute to Summer race. I knew there was a slight incline coming out of the park. Normally, it probably wouldn’t be an issue, but it just always seems cruel in a race, like how in the heck can you have this hill when obviously you are going downhill (Baltimore geography lesson, when you start along the waterfront, you are at sea level. If you go away from the water, only one way to go, up). Each time I tried to pick up the pace, I could feel the stitch coming back. Not much of a kick.

Final thoughts

No clue about the side stitch. I had this issue several times this spring, which I thought was tied to almond butter on my bagel. After I ditched the almond butter, I seemed to be free from this issue.

After the race, I did 2 easy miles along the Harbor Promenade. I have never seen so many runners out in one area. It was absolutely packed with runners, and it didn’t seem like they were people from the race doing a cool down. I may need to start brining clothes with me and getting a quick run after work. It’s perfectly flat. Only downside is that I am not sure how lighted and there are no railings to keep you from falling into the harbor. Swimming in the Baltimore harbor is not on my to-do list.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Nice warm race.  Excellent weather for December.

The only thing I know about Baltimore is from watching The Wire.  If that was anything close to realistic, I'm scared of that place.

Runner with a riding problem.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Nice warm race.  Excellent weather for December.

The only thing I know about Baltimore is from watching The Wire.  If that was anything close to realistic, I'm scared of that place.

Sort of, depends where you go. Canton is a revitalized area with a lot of bars.

There were some scenes from The Wire filmed in Patterson Park. Usually someone sitting on a park bench and looking down towards the water. The race started on Boston Street, pretty sure some scenes from season 2 on the docks were filmed pretty close by too.

I work in east Baltimore, so it doesn't seem so bad. I've been in part of west Baltimore that are just downright scary, like no way am I walking alone from my car type scary. If you want the full tour, the Baltimore marathon goes through some rough areas that I will only run through when surrounded by 20,00 others and police on every corner.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

...and police on every corner.

The police were the scariest part  .

Runner with a riding problem.

Half Crazy K 2.0

The police were the scariest part  .

LOL. Actually Baltimore City police seem the most engaged at races and are very appreciative of thanks. I think they get overtime, so maybe that's why the are so happy

LRB

I've never been to Maryland but would like to someday. The last time I waited more than ten minutes to start a race after my warm-up it was horrendous!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your race!  Sorry about the bathroom situation and the 'interruptions' at the beginning part of the race.  This sounds like a popular event though, so with that many people things are probably going to happen.  You did great!

Yeah, I grew up in the Beltway area so am familiar with the Baltimore terrain.  Probably not familiar with Baltimore any more, lol, as I haven't been there now in several years; I'm sure it has changed beyond all my recognition and what I knew of it.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt