Beginners and Beyond

A progress report of your year thus far: How is it shaping up? (Read 84 times)

Docket_Rocket

Pics or it didn't happen!  

You know the rules. 

Yes, cough up!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

So far, this year had been really good even with April and May being a bit worrisome with the overuse pains. I kicked ass even during sub zero temps and have been doing pretty damn good with the warmer, hotter, more humid days.

I had a few good races earlier this year, learned a few lessons along the way - overall, very pleased.

I've been successfully averaging 30-35 miles up until May when I dropped it down for 3 weeks to give my body some rest before my (debut) marathon training.

Second week of marathon training is done, so far so good.

I would give myself an A-

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Overall, the year has gone very well so far.

-Ran my first ultra and hit the 40 miles in 6 hours I had hoped for.

-Got away with what felt like a felony in Boston, staying sub-3 on cranky adductors and suspect training while several friends and acquaintances blew up to varying degrees.

-Went for a NYCQ HM at Grand Island and came up 31 seconds short in a tough headwind.  Took another shot at the Buffalo Half and turned in probably my best race ever with 39 seconds to spare.

-Planned on going big with Pfitz 85+ over the summer, and shortly thereafter was bitten by a piriformis/sciatic issue.  It took about a month out of any meaningful training but is now hopefully done being a pain in the ass (literally.)

B for the YTD, acing most tests even though the cat has eaten my homework on several occasions.

Summer independent study:  Figure out how to come back from an undesired month of injured sloth and be healthy and fast enough to still go after the original fall marathon goal.

happylily

Preparation: Began training for my spring marathon in January 2014, following 2 previous marathons in the three months preceding: C for bad planning, having unrealistic expectations of what I can do and not following the rules of proper recovery.

Training: I did Pfitz 18/85 and managed some pretty solid weeks with strong paces, my fastest ever. But by running too fast too often, I made myself peak too early and by the time the race rolled in, I was exhausted and on the decline. A for effort, C for bad application of the plan. So an average of B overall.

The race: Considering the hot weather, the poor pacing and the bad luck with the 2 potty breaks, I wasn't too far off from my PR and it still was a pretty good BQ for me. I give it a B.

Mileage: 1518 miles as of June 30th. This includes a few weeks of sickness, some taper weeks, and a couple vacation weeks. That's an A for me.

Where I am at the moment: physically exhausted by the heat and the spring training (from which I did not once again recover properly). 

Mentally, I am in healthy shape, the summer having returned brings more than just heat. It brings cheerfulness and a renewed sense of joy when I do my runs. So that's an A for that.

Conclusion: C, B, B, A, C and A. What is the average of that?  B, I guess? Yeah... that sounds about right...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Overall, the year has gone very well so far.

-Ran my first ultra and hit the 40 miles in 6 hours I had hoped for.

-Got away with what felt like a felony in Boston, staying sub-3 on cranky adductors and suspect training while several friends and acquaintances blew up to varying degrees.

-Went for a NYCQ HM at Grand Island and came up 31 seconds short in a tough headwind.  Took another shot at the Buffalo Half and turned in probably my best race ever with 39 seconds to spare.

-Planned on going big with Pfitz 85+ over the summer, and shortly thereafter was bitten by a piriformis/sciatic issue.  It took about a month out of any meaningful training but is now hopefully done being a pain in the ass (literally.)

B for the YTD, acing most tests even though the cat has eaten my homework on several occasions.

Summer independent study:  Figure out how to come back from an undesired month of injured sloth and be healthy and fast enough to still go after the original fall marathon goal.

You give yourself a B? Get out of here! If your first half of the year was a B, then ours are all like F...  You're an A, mister!

delicate flower

So far, so good.  My speed isn't quite where I want it, but that is my only gripe and I am working on it.

I am averaging 50 mpw and am on pace for 2500 miles.  I've PR'd the 10K and the marathon.  I've run three HM's, though again, not as fast as I would have liked but there are also reasons that I find acceptable (mostly timing of those events).  My only goals were to log 1,000 miles and run a marathon PR, and with that I was a success.  I give my first half of the year a solid B.

The second half has the potential to be pretty great.  I have sacrificed some running recently to get my bike legs in shape for a duathlon in two weeks, but marathon training begins right after that event.  werd

<3

onemile

I would give it a solid C.  

The bad -

• Started the year with little motivation - still burned out from my fall marathon training and the shitty winter didn't help
                • My winter/spring goal was to run a sub-21 minute 5k in this 5k series I had signed up for.   That didn't happen.  Bad course conditions and I guess I underestimated how hard it would be.  Best I could do was a 21:26

The good -

• Managed to average 50mpw despite lack of motivation
                • Placed 2nd in my AG in the winter 5k series
                • Got my act together in March/April enough to run a nice 3 minute HM PR (1:34: xx, 5th female, 2nd AG)
                • Decided to run a marathon last minute despite having not trained - 3:32, which was just over a minute PR and almost 3 mins under my BQ time

The ugly - 

• Injured my calf end of May (I guess running that marathon was dumb) and had to take about 4 weeks off.  Became a cyclist.   This ruined my plan to train for a Nov marathon.  I am just now back to running a bit but very out of shape and definitely not ready to start MRT any time soon.
                happylily

I would give it a solid C.  

The bad -

• Started the year with little motivation - still burned out from my fall marathon training and the shitty winter didn't help
                  • My winter/spring goal was to run a sub-21 minute 5k in this 5k series I had signed up for.   That didn't happen.  Bad course conditions and I guess I underestimated how hard it would be.  Best I could do was a 21:26

The good -

• Managed to average 50mpw despite lack of motivation
                  • Placed 2nd in my AG in the winter 5k series
                  • Got my act together in March/April enough to run a nice 3 minute HM PR (1:34: xx, 5th female, 2nd AG)
                  • Decided to run a marathon last minute despite having not trained - 3:32, which was just over a minute PR and almost 3 mins under my BQ time

The ugly - 

• Injured my calf end of May (I guess running that marathon was dumb) and had to take about 4 weeks off.  Became a cyclist.   This ruined my plan to train for a Nov marathon.  I am just now back to running a bit but very out of shape and definitely not ready to start MRT any time soon.

You too are being too harsh on yourself. I think you are an A who, like many of us, became a little too over-confident in your abilities and ended up with an injury. C for that. But overall, you're an A who finished on a B note... If you are back to running now, you'll be surprised at what you can do next month. I'd say you could probably run a pretty good marathon come November...

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I dunno.

Good I think?

I am tired a lot, my running DW see my mileage and says "Damn"

My Mother and friends think I am nutts.

My toenails hate my shoes.

If I dont eat at least 3000 cals in a typical day I am way undereating...

hmm...

Grade - O-K.

=)

No more marathons

Pics or it didn't happen!  

You know the rules. 

Well, if you insist:

My First Tattoo

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Wow.... that is wicked Smile

Well, if you insist:

My First Tattoo

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Half Crazy K 2.0

So are you saying I should adjust my goal? 5 minutes is too ambitious?  25 minute 5k.

Cyberic

So are you saying I should adjust my goal? 5 minutes is too ambitious?  25 minute 5k.

LOL

No more marathons

Wow.... that is wicked Smile

Had to shave my legs to get this bad boy - so I guess I'm all ready to switch to the bike?

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Docket_Rocket

Nice tattoo!

Oops, I didn't grade myself.  C for me. 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page