Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Alamo Beer 5K (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos.  I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.    And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes, maps, and conversation forums for runners and much more!

On April 2, I was scheduled to do the Alamo Beer 5K.  However, I opted out of this one, as I recently had an adductor injury and the night before, on April 1st had done an April Fools 5K that turned out to be 4.2 miles instead of 3.1 miles – April Fools!  Since I had a race scheduled for Sunday, Apr 3, also, I decided to rest the leg on April 2 and give my registration to a friend, with the approval of the Race Director – especially since the Alamo Beer 5K course is quite hilly – and just volunteer to take photos, which I did.  The RD jokingly named me “Photo Volunteer”, so I did get to enjoy my beer after the race, lol. 

On to the photos!  I do tend to take a LOT of photos at the events I do.  So if you’d rather just see photos only without my commentary you can check out the slideshow of this event at this link:   http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Alamo%20Beer%205K

BEFORE THE START

Arrived at the race site about 7 a.m. and met my friend, Roger, and we got with the RD and swapped out the registration.  Then I wandered around and got a few pre-start photos.

It was chilly outside, so Alamo Beer kindly opened this area for us to keep a bit warm before the start

photo 012_zpshwgfn0ul.jpg

I did get into a photo with my fellow Team RWB (Red White and Blue) members.  San Antonio chapter is one of the largest chapters in the country.

photo 001_zps2rpcdvns.jpg

Team RWB outside the Brewery

photo 015_zpsoksopt2g.jpg

Registration Volunteers

photo 002_zpshyjjj1ta.jpg

Bike Pacer Roger and him with his lovely lady, Ceci

photo 004_zpsvfmcfbo0.jpg

photo 005_zpsxtsfo1ao.jpg

My 'running proxy', Roger is bib 120

photo 006_zps8wnntapj.jpg

Awww...Angel Girls...with the halo light behind them...

photo 007_zpsbpjyoypr.jpg

And now they're party girls, with the bar behind them... 

photo 008_zpsunq112tp.jpg

"Charlie" and his Angels/Party Girls 

photo 009_zpsldxwdofl.jpg

Others...

photo 003_zpsrmah3ang.jpg

photo 010_zps1qolqr77.jpg

photo 011_zpsilexh9oa.jpg

photo 014_zpseql6felu.jpg

Lining up for the start

photo 016_zpspsnjze9t.jpg

photo 017_zpsa6uc3ato.jpg

After the National Anthem, I headed for my vantage point on historic Hays Street Bridge.

ON THE COURSE

Start was in front of the Alamo Beer Brewery and then wound around some of the local area streets before heading up history Hays Street Bridge, where participants did a little out-and-back and then headed back to the brewery.  About 10 minutes before start time I ‘parked myself” on Hays Street Bridge.  This was a good spot and a unique experience for me, race-wise, as I got to see everyone coming and going.  The weather was a bit brisk though – around 51 at the 8 a.m. start time – and the wind up on the bridge was quite chilly – especially as I was not moving.  Even so, enjoyed myself and got quite a few photos of some folks, especially my team-mates in my Veterans organization, Team RWB (Red White Blue).

Nice view of downtown area from the bridge

photo 056_zpsgihqsmhw.jpg

Watching the start from above

photo 018_zpss3qljj6p.jpg

Here comes the first guy - at least, so far...

photo 019_zpsi4mqtfco.jpg

With many others following....

photo 020_zpsgsxrlrtk.jpg

Guy in the blue shirt is floating

photo 021_zpszv2uur1l.jpg

photo 022_zpskwgyhugx.jpg

photo 023_zpsvs4xeu2l.jpg

photo 024_zpsarrqncsn.jpg

Team RWB flying the colors

photo 025_zpssk7xgl0s.jpg

photo 028_zpsl8pwvldw.jpg

photo 026_zpsfak5eafr.jpg

photo 027_zpsnvdqcpwe.jpg

My Proxy is doing okay, he's close to the front of the pack

photo 029_zpsmyprkttc.jpg

photo 030_zpsyn3vndlf.jpg

photo 031_zpscpwzs9v7.jpg

photo 032_zpsi6wfm1ww.jpg

photo 033_zpszodi3n2n.jpg

photo 034_zpspml6fakw.jpg

photo 035_zpss0pv8pic.jpg

photo 036_zpsm6vq2suq.jpg

photo 037_zpssg0sxahg.jpg

"Charlie"!  You left your angels behind? 

photo 038_zpsvkstvkdg.jpg

My friend, Margaret, who, like me, also did the April Fools 5K on Friday

photo 039_zps5elbpmfs.jpg

My friend, Sally, got photo-bombed right as I snapped the picture, lol

photo 040_zpsahhgz4sh.jpg

photo 041_zpsd47skk3f.jpg

photo 042_zpsbpyz3eac.jpg

photo 043_zpsslp2xejc.jpg

photo 044_zpsgitlxef8.jpg

photo 045_zpsjnr9zshn.jpg

Runners heading for the finish after making a turn-around point.  They started on the bridge into the sun and did the bridge going back with the sun behind them

photo 046_zpsuxhqxteh.jpg

photo 047_zpsdv3hlryg.jpg

photo 048_zpsgpk3zjbe.jpg

photo 049_zpss1tut09y.jpg

photo 052_zps5qqctvmg.jpg

photo 051_zpspewlsuyc.jpg

Some of the walkers coming along now. I admire the walkers that can walk the whole 5K....I don't have the mental patience for it.

photo 050_zpsinrtqcwv.jpg

photo 053_zpsfubwarbx.jpg

photo 054_zpsefjgy18p.jpg

photo 055_zpssihow739.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

I stayed on that bridge until darn near the last person in the race passed me; by then I was quite chilly so I headed down the side staircase of the bridge and went right to the bar to get my beer and warm up a bit.  All the participants got a souvenir Alamo Beer 5K finisher glass.  When I got my beer, one of the lady organizers gave me one of those glasses too.  I drank the beer, but since I did not actually run the race, I gave my glass – after it was empty, of course – to a friend of mine who was a finisher.  Then it was out-and-about to take some post-race party and “Happy Finisher” photos.

photo 058_zpsyqv58ync.jpg

photo 057_zpssg3jpg8v.jpg

photo 059_zpskcnbsqeh.jpg

photo 060_zpso8shxl85.jpg

photo 061_zpsm9p8v3i6.jpg

photo 062_zpsw4tv7lul.jpg

photo 063_zpsk7ya9ebm.jpg

photo 064_zpsya5jhrrr.jpg

Margaret the Angel... with good guy Ernie

photo 065_zpsu2g3sy6z.jpg

Margaret in Human Form

photo 066_zpsett4k41g.jpg

photo 067_zps7iizjwnk.jpg

photo 068_zpslcxftznp.jpg

photo 069_zpsbfnvewah.jpg

photo 070_zpsy8sveebr.jpg

Sometimes a guy just needs a nap after a hilly run...

photo 071_zps0siyr57g.jpg

photo 072_zpsuqqrwnia.jpg

photo 073_zpsvwlwnyp0.jpg

photo 074_zpsized5snp.jpg

photo 075_zpscm6ugkdg.jpg

Tanya was first woman overall.  John placed in his age group.  Two speedy people.

photo 076_zpsbrzfroym.jpg

photo 077_zpsxlteqgtl.jpg

Yep, that describes me....and my 3-legged cat too

photo 078_zpshsljmy62.jpg

All the way from Mississippi to do this race

photo 079_zpsqmjgbo6x.jpg

A family of angels!

photo 080_zpsmdbjqcu2.jpg

photo 081_zps28gkgf1l.jpg

photo 082_zpseddwa7b9.jpg

EPILOGUE

I really would have liked to do this one, especially as I love this race and my personal top choice of local beer is Alamo Beer’s Golden; but, as said, it was very hilly, so probably better I behaved myself and not run it – or even walk it, with those hills - and let the thigh rest, especially as my Sunday 5K was coming up – that one being a very FLAT course, so better for me right now.  Even though I did not run it or walk it, I still quite enjoyed myself being a photo volunteer, cheering on friends, taking photos, mingling with them afterwards.  Also a unique experience as, at my pace, I usually never see the front-runners, lol, in races that I do.

Mucho thanks to Run in Texas who put this event on.  Big thanks to all the volunteers, law enforcement, bike pacers, medical folks, etc., - all the people who made this one happen for the participants.  And, of course, Alamo Beer for use of their venue – and for all that delicious beer! A personal thanks to the two young ladies at Registration who assisted with my registration swap and made everything go very smoothly.  And finally, thanks Pablo – the Alamo Beer dog who roams the grounds – for the face licks after I gave you a doggie treat.   Good dog!  Definitely a quality event, which will most assuredly be on my race calendar in the future.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

"The RD jokingly named me “Photo Volunteer”, so I did get to enjoy my beer after the race, lol."

Looks like a prelude to your second career. Smile

GinnyinPA

Sorry you couldn't run this, but I'm glad you were still able to participate.  I hope the leg behaves tomorrow.