Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 5: Super Run 5K and 10K (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%20Number%205%20Super%20Run%205K%20and%2010K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 5th race of 2019 was the Super Run 5K on January 26, held at Wheatley Heights park in San Antonio. There was also a 10K.  This event is held over the year at various dates in multiple cities and supports a variety of charities, including CureSearch for Children’s Cancer and the Superfly Children’s Foundation.  For the San Antonio event, this was a pretty laid-back untimed fun-run.  Instead of race shirts, participants got super-hero capes to wear. I gave mine to a kid when I went to packet pickup.  There was a pretty nice turn-out too, with a couple hundred people, maybe even a bit more than that.   Mother Nature was cooperative too with a bit of sunshine, but mostly cloud-cover, a temp near 50 degrees at the 9 a.m. start time, and very little wind.  I arrived with just under an hour until start time and wandered around chatting with friends and getting some pre-start photos.

Welcome to the event

photo IMG_1994_zpsreeakb1t.jpg

With my friend Sandra.  We both had on Superman/Superwoman socks that had little capes on the back that flew out and up as we ran or walked

photo IMG_1981_zps4bwxisuw.jpg

Friends Sandra and Fernando

photo IMG_1982_zpsd9g3fzpt.jpg

Our Music Man

photo IMG_1999_zpsysmeorgw.jpg

Two of the race organizers for this local one

photo IMG_2022_zpsbftls8w6.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc.

photo IMG_1980_zpsvhzmubxh.jpg

Doggie was like  'get my best side."

photo IMG_1983_zps2kx7twss.jpg

photo IMG_1984_zps2i3nmikn.jpg

This lady is currently undergoing cancer treatment and came out to walk the event.  God bless her.

photo IMG_1985_zpsb1e6w226.jpg

photo IMG_1986_zpsb7kaqrex.jpg

My amazing friend Ivette, who does a lot of ultra-distance runs and marathons

photo IMG_1987_zpsyjpeffvp.jpg

photo IMG_1988_zpszmfmqxna.jpg

photo IMG_1989_zpsvsnarifj.jpg

photo IMG_1990_zpseh1tsuv0.jpg

photo IMG_1991_zpsds8y77av.jpg

photo IMG_1992_zpsyuqvpb1a.jpg

photo IMG_1993_zpsju0njrq5.jpg

photo IMG_1995_zpsblazwf8e.jpg

photo IMG_1996_zpswuutam0z.jpg

photo IMG_1998_zpscijbnmfr.jpg

photo IMG_2000_zpsqp7dhthv.jpg

photo IMG_2001_zpssotvgozr.jpg

photo IMG_2005_zpsdtm7axfe.jpg

Start crowd ahead of me and behind me

photo IMG_2003_zps9a6gkdqw.jpg

photo IMG_2004_zpszko7qndh.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Out-and-back course on the off-road Wheatley Heights paved trails, part of the park greenway system of San Antonio.  This is a really nice park with trails that connect to other park trails and you can go a pretty good distance, if so desired, for a bike ride, walk, or run on these greenway system trails. Course was mainly pretty flat with just a couple of pretty mild inclines along the route.  With this many people, the trails were a bit crowded at the initial start, but the pack soon started stringing out a bit.  I don’t know about anyone else on the course not around me, but where I was at any given time, I never saw anyone get impeded, bumped, etc. I was feeling pretty good and went pretty strong and managed to finish at 31 minutes and change.  As this was an untimed fun run there were no age group awards, but everyone did get finisher medals.  I have plenty of medals – 91 races done in 2018 – so I gave mine to some kid in a stroller; the kid did the course too, right?

photo IMG_2006_zpsqzqhh5vz.jpg

photo IMG_2007_zps82xi2816.jpg

photo IMG_2008_zpsxzlxkize.jpg

photo IMG_2009_zpsbs6wsmtm.jpg

photo IMG_2010_zps1dbaz7ah.jpg

photo IMG_2011_zpsvweurjzd.jpg

photo IMG_2012_zpsdf99rqwr.jpg

photo IMG_2013_zpszvvpyh5r.jpg

photo IMG_2014_zpsp9lbmb1r.jpg

photo IMG_2015_zps3kge0yuf.jpg

photo IMG_2016_zpsspvy0h5l.jpg

photo IMG_2017_zpsxhysh4kx.jpg

photo IMG_2018_zpsd00abcpw.jpg

photo IMG_2019_zpsm1fzx8xx.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water, did a little cool-down walk, went back to my car – very convenient parking at Wheatley Heights as there is a big stadium here too, so large parking lot that was right near the start/finish area – got on a dry shirt and then got some after-photos of the ‘happy finishers, supporters, volunteers, etc.

photo IMG_2020_zpsjzrq1dnv.jpg

photo IMG_2023_zpsdsa7ail8.jpg

photo IMG_2024_zpsr4t7qchb.jpg

photo IMG_2025_zpsvnfcnfch.jpg

photo IMG_2026_zpsodjrny8c.jpg

photo IMG_2027_zpsepn8mpnj.jpg

photo IMG_2028_zps6wb52iae.jpg

photo IMG_2029_zpsfysp2jvz.jpg

photo IMG_2031_zpsjug6kxh0.jpg

photo IMG_2034_zpsocrxwtvi.jpg

photo IMG_2035_zpshoulluwg.jpg

photo IMG_2036_zpsppnbzkgg.jpg

photo IMG_2037_zpsukolgc0b.jpg

photo IMG_2038_zpsdosgda1c.jpg

photo IMG_2039_zpsgxpk4yfi.jpg

photo IMG_2041_zpsyw2iu9si.jpg

photo IMG_2042_zpspvtxgivz.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is the first time I’ve done this event.  Someone told me last year it was a timed event, but this year not, which was okay with me; at my pace, not like I am going to win an award anyway, lol. This fun-run actually was fun – felt like a big ‘social run’ for we runners – with lots of people in various costumes, capes, gear, etc., and lots of smiling faces, and I encountered here several of my running community friends.  There was also a DJ entertaining us with various music genres, and a background photo screen which several people stood in front of to get some photos.  All-in-all, a pretty nice event, one which I would do again, and would recommend to others.

Mucho thanks to all the folks who made this one happen for we participants; all the organizers, volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, et al who were out there for us. I believe there was an official photographer there too, taking photos, but not quite sure; might have been someone on her own. Anyway, thank you all for what you do so we participants could have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Great time, so of course the race isn't timed and has no AG awards. Oh well.

I love all the costumes. Runners in SA do have fun with the races there.