Beginners and Beyond

Garmin Foot Pod (Read 44 times)

LRB

I am thinking about getting one to alleviate the need to remember the details of my speed work sessions on the belt, as they (and any run) would presumably be stored in the watch's memory.

Are there any issues with accuracy, pairing, battery life etc.? Is the stupid thing even worth it?

Paging Baboon.

Dave

onemile

I have one. No problems with pairing or battery life but for me, the accuracy seems off on the treadmill.  I will wear the same shoe / foot pod at the indoor track and the accuracy is very good.  But when I run on the treadmill, it typically reads fast... in other words... for a normal 8 mile treadmill run, it measures like 8.35 when the treadmill displays 8.0.  Which adds up to about 15/sec per mile.  I don't think my treadmill is off (I checked it twice), so I'm not sure if my gait is different on the TM or what.

Half Crazy K 2.0

The only reason I got one is to have some clue of how many miles I ran on the treadmill. I don't really trust its accuracy, but my treadmill's accuracy is also suspect. Easy pace is 2+ minutes slower on the mill than outside  according to the foot pod and 4+ than outside minutes according to the mill.

LRB

But when I run on the treadmill, it typically reads fast... in other words... for a normal 8 mile treadmill run, it measures like 8.35 when the treadmill displays 8.0. 

In that instance do you enter 8 miles in your log, or 8.35 miles? Further, would the foot pods information supersede that of the treadmill? I mean, it seems that one or the other would be accurate.

LRB

The only reason I got one is to have some clue of how many miles I ran on the treadmill. I don't really trust its accuracy, but my treadmill's accuracy is also suspect. Easy pace is 2+ minutes slower on the mill than outside  according to the foot pod and 4+ than outside minutes according to the mill.

Yeah my easy pace and I do not get along on the belt. lol

onemile

In that instance do you enter 8 miles in your log, or 8.35 miles? Further, would the foot pods information supersede that of the treadmill? I mean, it seems that one or the other would be accurate.

I enter 8 miles in my log and keep the total time the same, so it adjusts my average pace for the run.  But the splits in my log are still off.

I tend to think the treadmill is more accurate.

Docket_Rocket

No matter how many times I calibrate it (on the TM or outside), my footpod is always off even on the first run right after calibrating.  And my TM was new and calibrated so it was not the TM.

It's good to have, IMO, at least to not have to enter all the details in the log (I just fix what is off).  But I have not found it very accurate no matter how many times I calibrate it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

catwhoorg

Labrat

Generally straight from the box the calibration is going to be off 'a bit'.

If you are calibrating then do so after a good warm-up. (You gait when cold is subtly different to your gait when warm)

Remember a calibration is good only for a single speed and an individual pair of shoes. If you use some widely different shoes (like the ultimate vibram and hokas article on the RWOL homepage right now), that's going to change your stride too.

If I calibrate to my easy pace, then it reads my intervals as too slow. Calibrate to my interval pace, and the easy pace is too fast.

I like mine, but as in the main I run on my own TM, and frequently shift paces, the hassle generally means I have stopped bothering with it.

I just plug the time and distance straight from the TM into my log now.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Cyberic

Remember a calibration is good only for a single speed and an individual pair of shoes. 

I use one to run on the indoor track instead of pressing the lap button. Lazy Mofo.

Since it is an accelerometer, it can even be a little different from day to day, at the same pace, on the same shoes if you change the way you run. For example, if I run my laps in the same time, my lap average speed is exactly the same, one would think the pod would consistently give the same pace. Not necessarily. If you shuffle your feet without lifting them as much for a lap, the pod will think you're running slower and the lap will show short, as if you ran less distance, and if you run another lap high heels (kicking your butt kinda), then the pod will think you're zooming fast and will record an extra long lap.

So I stopped fussing about it and use it as a 'good enough' pace and distance tool for the purpose of training.

MTA: I loooove my foot pod.

Cyberic

Pairing just works, and I change the battery about once a year I'd say. Very easy to find regular battery.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I should write down this stuff after running on the treadmill. Again, I don't  trust my treadmill's accuracy either. At the same speed on the treadmill but different days, my pace according to the foot pod has varied by about 1.5 minutes/mile. Same shoes.

I'm not sure it was worth the $50. Last year I pretty much ignored the speed and went by time & effort on the treadmill.  It worked out ok based on my results from a spring 5k.

delicate flower

I use mine to measure my data on treadmill runs.  I agree that it's not 100% spot on, and it certainly never jives with the treadmill readings...foot pod gives me higher mileage and slightly faster speed readings than the TM.  However, treadmill readings are off even across different machines in the gym, and I also use treadmills in different locations.  Given the inconsistencies across different treadmills and different locations, I figure the foot pod will always be more consistent.  Plus I figure it is "close enough."  I know when I am running hard and when I am running easy, and my HRM also helps verify that.  No issues with pairing or battery life whatsoever.  If you leave the foot pod on your shoe, keep the shoe away from your dog.  Dogs, particularly greyhounds in my house, love to drag the shoe back to their beds and gnaw the hell out of the foot pod.  THAT'S FORTY DOLLARS DOWN THE CRAPPER.

<3

delicate flower

Paging Baboon.

What's up, little buddy!

<3

Docket_Rocket

I should write down this stuff after running on the treadmill. Again, I don't  trust my treadmill's accuracy either. At the same speed on the treadmill but different days, my pace according to the foot pod has varied by about 1.5 minutes/mile. Same shoes.

I'm not sure it was worth the $50. Last year I pretty much ignored the speed and went by time & effort on the treadmill.  It worked out ok based on my results from a spring 5k.

That is around the same difference with mine and my TM was new and calibrated.  I don't trust the footpod.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page