Beginners and Beyond

How much does wind affect your intervals? (Read 47 times)

Trail Monster

I decided to give last week's speed workout (2 x 1200, 2 x800, 4 x 400 with 1 minute of rest per 400m of interval) another shot. This time I didn't have a baby sitter so I took the kids to the track with me. I figured my splits would be a little wonky because I would have half my focus on them the whole time. What I didn't expect was a really stiff headwind on half the track. I would look at my instant pace readout and it would drop 20-30 seconds per mile even when I pushed harder. I ended up with this:

warm up

.75 @ 8:23

.75 @ 8:50

.5 @ 8:28

.5 @ 8:32

.25 @ 7:54 (Got mad and pushed way too hard for this one)

.25 @ 8:30

.25 @ 8:48

.25 @ 8:00

cool down

So was that terrible for running into the wind for half of each lap? Am I being a big baby about the headwind? There's usually enough tree cover on my usual route that I don't get more than a stiff breeze. Running on the track while trying to keep track of two kids and run into the wind was a whole new experience for me. And I'm not sure whether to be proud I did it or flog myself for screwing it up so badly.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

Funny you should say that.  Two of my intervals were with a headwind and the difference was close to 20sec/mile.  It all depends on the wind gusts and the direction.  But your drop of 20-30 seconds sound similar to mine.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

We were just having this discussion today since we did our intervals into a headwind as well.  Basically, we all felt like we increased our effort into the headwind, and ended up going too fast.  If we just relaxed and trusted our arms and legs, it seemed like we were holding the pace even though it was a little tougher mentally.  Obviously, there's a point at which the wind is going to make a difference in  your pacing, but I think you can minimize it by not "fighting."

As for your splits, I think you'll see your consistency and sense of pace continue to improve just from experience.  And I'd say be proud of yourself for doing the workout...flogging is just painful.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Any idea how strong the wind was? My general gauge is that if I can feel the wind pushing me when I'm running with it, then it will have a big effect on my times, otherwise I'm usually still pretty close though it will take a little more effort.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

One of the very reasons I've forced myself to do early morning Saturday track runs.  And I am NOT a morning person!!

Randy

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Any idea how strong the wind was? My general gauge is that if I can feel the wind pushing me when I'm running with it, then it will have a big effect on my times, otherwise I'm usually still pretty close though it will take a little more effort.

That's what I was trying to get at but you said it more clearly...Garmin said my wind was 9mph tonight, so that's what I was saying was tolerable.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

There is a definite effect at the track, how much depends on the speed at which you are running.  Obviously mile pace intervals will be much harder in a 10 MPH hour wind than 10k pace.

You can tell the difference sometimes within an interval.  That is, if you are running the first 200 meters of a 400 meter interval into a headwind, the second 200 meters will feel like it takes slightly less effort, or vice versa.  That scenario usually balances itself out, as you get back what you gave.

The point at which you are getting your head kicked in usually is wind wind speed gets into the teens or higher.  I ran in 18 MPH + winds all winter and could really feel the affects in my body long after the workout was over, versus a day with light wind.

As far as today's effort, yes, be proud.  You completed your intervals in relative consistent order.  Any one of us will take that all day every day.

Trail Monster

According to weather underground the wind speed was 16-22 MPH. I didn't get a push on the other side because the grandstand blocked the tailwind. I guess I didn't do so bad then.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

#artbydmcbride

Sounds like you should have done them in the reverse direction  Wink

Runners run

LRB

Sounds like you should have done them in the reverse direction

Or do what your screen name suggests.